Which amp cables?

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm looking to purchase 3 RCA cables for the Emotiva XPA-3. What is the difference between these two cables?

RCA (pairs) - $2.11/ea

RCA (single) - $3.31/ea

These are found in different places on the website. One is considered an RCA, the other is a Digital Coax. From my understanding, these are both the same type cable and can be used for any RCA type audio connection. Just curious why the single "digital coax" cable is more expensive than the paired "RCA" cable.

Either one would work fine for connecting your amp. The single "digital coax" is RG6 and is 75ohm basically this is a video cable if you were going to connect video this would be the one to use and not the others you linked but for audio both those links would work just as well.

I run audio rca cables on my XPA-3, I think that is what most people choose to use but the RG6 75ohm rca works just as well for this and is sometimes used as well.

As Rich Guy mentioned the 75ohm difference, also wire thickness, CL2 rating, and more robust RCA connectors. At least that's what the web site said, under the "Knowledge Base" tab.

James

Yes single cable in your link looks a little beefier, I also see that the pair of audio rca cables are rated as 75ohm as well.

The first link is RG59u while the 2nd is RG6u, RG6u is a better video cable.

Anyway any rca will work for connecting an amp.

• Moderators

Thx a bunch oh knowledgable ones. [:D] I'm supposed to be getting an XPA-3, just have no idea when. LOL. Figured I would go ahead and pick up some new RCA cables for it. I guess if I'm using the XPA-3 and get the "pair" cables, then I would just have one lonely cable dangling with nothing to do. [:P]

I have some Monster Cable Reference interconnects but I would rather not use them since I personally do not like the "turbine" connectors. They are just too tight of a fit for my taste.

I have some Monster Cable Reference interconnects but I would rather not use them since I personally do not like the "turbine" connectors. They are just too tight of a fit for my taste.

That's actually what I am using, I like the "turbine" connectors better myself. [:P]

I'll probably replace all of my monster cables with Monoprice cables.

I never really cared for Monoprices rca cables, the rca connectors look cheap to me. I am sure they work fine, I just don't like their look. I do really like the Monoprice premium digital optical cable.

• Moderators

I didn't notice at first that they had different connectors but see now that the Digital Coax ones have a nicer finish on them. Sounds like you and I have similar taste in cables. I want them to look nice, even if I can't hear a difference, but don't want to pay a bunch either.

Sounds like you and I have similar taste in cables. I want them to look nice, even if I can't hear a difference, but don't want to pay a bunch either.

Actually all of my rca cables are Monster, I like the quality of their rca's (they do have some bad ones as well) I paid more than Monoprice, but I got good deals on the Monsters usually paying about 1/3 their full prices.

• Moderators

Michael Colter once brought up a good point about the turbine connectors that Monster uses. He said that although they clamp really tight onto your electronics, the problem is when you try and remove them, they put stress on the female connectors on your electronics and that's not good. I guess it could eventually cause shorts in your electronics. I dunno, I just know some of them are a pain in the butt to get off. LOL.

Michael Colter once brought up a good point about the turbine connectors that Monster uses. He said that although they clamp really tight onto your electronics, the problem is when you try and remove them, they put stress on the female connectors on your electronics and that's not good. I guess it could eventually cause shorts in your electronics. I dunno, I just know some of them are a pain in the butt to get off. LOL.

They can be tight, but twisting when you install/remove them and they go easily and remain always tight connections. I have many old cheap cables which loosened up as they became old and no longer provided good connections.

I have acquired so many extra cables over the years in this hobby. I have several large boxes full of cables of many different brands and types, I could easily fill up a good sized car trunk with cables. While I don't believe in cable snake oil, I still do like good looking quality cables.

As for power cables, I have never used expensive power cables but I have
replaced most of the power cables in my system with larger gauge and shorter cables so that they are just the length I need without unneeded extra lengths. My amp for example has a 2 ft long 14 gauge power cable.

Monoprice has nice quality power cords in various lengths and gauges and they are very inexpensive.

Thx for the advice everyone. I just ordered three of the Digital Coax Cables. Still not sure when I'm receiving the XPA-3, but figured I would have everything ready.

I think those had the nicer connectors, plus as I think you mentioned the others were 2 piggybacked cables, I know prefer having 3 separate rca cables to my amp. Not that it really matters, I just like my wiring to look nice.

Do you still have the seller of the XPA-3 lined up? If so what is he waiting for to sell it?