RE: why can't I find a M97xe cart

merkin

I want to replace my cartridge on my technics SL D2. I presently have an old shure M104e. I've checked a lot of sources on the internet and they are all out of stock. The needle doctor says the are back ordered due toparts availability. Anybody have any ideas for a source. I do want new and preferablly not give to much of a premium for it.

If you can't find a new one and decide that gently used is OK drop me a line.

I bought one several years ago for a second system turntable that never came to pass. It sat new in its box until about 8 months ago when I bought a Clearaudio Emotion TT which arrived with a damaged stylus. The cost to retip a Clearaudio Aurum was more than I could bear at the time. I installed and used the M97 for about a month until I decided on and purchased a new cartridge (a Denon 103 LOMC). I took it back off and put it back in its box where it's been since. It might have 100 album sides worth of play on it. Probably less. I don't believe that it is fully broken in yet. I have the box (duh) paperwork, brush, and screwdriver but I'm not sure about all of the mounting screws.

I just got my M97XE in the mail today.

I searched for a couple of months before I found one for a whopping $69.00 shipping included.

I ordered it through Buy.com and a company called Focus Camera out of New York was the Shipper.

Good luck with the search. Have patience.

Tom

Go ahead Dennie and get the one from Jhoak. I can tell from the Right This Minute thread that you play a lot more vinyl than I do. I'll keep looking or consider the Denon or the ortofon. I have a Shure M104e on it right now which plays OK and I was just kind of thinking about up grading a little. I've seen some listed through the shopping search engines but I was a little leary about trusting those suppliers. I been burned on stuff before when they list it and take your money and then put it on back order also. Then your stuck waiting for them to get it end like everyone else. I like to stay with companies that have better/more positive ratings.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've ordered from LPgear twice and they've had stylus for two carts that I could not find anywhere else, in addition they arrived very quickly. Merkin, I'd look into the upgraded stylus that LPgear carries, it's $50 but it's probably worth it for that quality cartridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Go ahead Dennie and get the one from Jhoak. I can tell from the Right This Minute thread that you play a lot more vinyl than I do. I'll keep looking or consider the Denon or the ortofon. I have a Shure M104e on it right now which plays OK and I was just kind of thinking about up grading a little. I've seen some listed through the shopping search engines but I was a little leary about trusting those suppliers. I been burned on stuff before when they list it and take your money and then put it on back order also. Then your stuck waiting for them to get it end like everyone else. I like to stay with companies that have better/more positive ratings.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Did you ever find an M97xe?

I just bought another from J&R.com for a grand total of $62.00.

They have them in stock at this time.

Just thought I would check with you and give you a heads up.

They sent mine out 2 hours after I purchased.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...