First impressions of the Parasound HCA2205a Amp

Youthman

Obviously you need to see just how hot the amp runs but with the space around your components and the grill cloth front I think you shouldn't have any worries now, it has plenty of ventulation and is not really fully enclosed.

If your new amp runs as cool as my XPA-3 does you definitely won't have any problems as my XPA-3 barely gets warm at all.

Anyway I think that all is fine now but should you notice that the new amp does run warm you can always add a small fan to help pull out the warm air.

Obviously you need to see just how hot the amp runs but with the space around your components and the grill cloth front I think you shouldn't have any worries now, it has plenty of ventulation and is not really fully enclosed.

If your new amp runs as cool as my XPA-3 does you definitely won't have any problems as my XPA-3 barely gets warm at all.

Anyway I think that all is fine now but should you notice that the new amp does run warm you can always add a small fan to help pull out the warm air.

The Parasound I had ran super hot,frying an egg would be easy.The hotest amp I ever owned but it sounded great and worked fine,not enclosed.Every Emotiva amp I've owned runs barely warm.

Youth ,Congrats on the Parasound, I know it sounds great and has all the power you could possibly need.

• Moderators

You crack me up dtel. Regardless of what I own, it still doesn't change who I am. Wink

Your right, but now your Mr Youthman [:D]

Besides, I might have an amp, but you've got me beat in speaker size. Wink

Only because I like to build things and I have fat fingers so I can't build little things. [Y]

• Moderators

That was the original plan. Matt (clermontcop) was going to buy John's (deafbykhorn) Parasound amp once his income tax refund came in and I was going to buy Matt's XPA-3. Matt was having problems with his refund and after a month of waiting, he told John to put it back up for sale. I contacted Matt and told him I was still interested in buying his XPA-3 but didn't want him to feel obligated to sell it to me since he would then be without an amp. He said he would need to keep it so I began to look around for another amp. It was more than I originally wanted to spend but decided to get a 5 channel amp instead of a 3. That way if I decide to go to a pre/pro, I'm all set. Parasound has been around for a long time and makes super solid amps.

• Moderators

I'd be curious as to the amp temp after a good action movie.

After watching Avatar tonight, I decided to feel the amp to see how hot it got. It was definitely warm but not hot enough to fry an egg. The PS3 was warm on the bottom too. It probably would be a good idea anyways to add a cooling system to help prolong the life of the components.

My thinking is to have two fans at the front sides of the amp to bring air into the cabinet and having two fans on the back sides of the amp to suck air from the front to the back. I could even add two fans horizontal near the back of the shelf to help suck air from the bottom and blow it upwards behind the receiver and up into the open cabinet behind the screen.

Anyone using cooling fans have any suggestions of which fans I should look at?

You might try something like this http://www.buyextras.com/cocofankiscs.html that is ready to plug into a switched 120v outlet, usually a switched 120v outlet on your receiver.

I wouldn't get to many fans, just where needed, fans can create noise so you want to be careful what you add, often one well placed fan to remove heat will do.

I'm running THESE (bought from another site which escapes me at this time) . They are virtually silent. No one whose ever listened to my system has ever commented on fan noise and I'm running 3 of them. Make sure you find a fan with a very low dB rating. I found an old 12 v converter and hooked it to a switched outlet on my surge protector. A signal from my pre-pro turns the outlet on and off. You could also use a switched outlet on your receiver to do the same thing. I've got 4 pro amps and a pre-pro generating heat in a mostly enclosed area and it barely gets warm.

What voltage wall plug would I need to power 4 fans? Would I splice them all into one plug? Not sure how best to hook that up since PC fans have a totally different connector.

I believe they're 12v fans. I used an old 12v charger that I had laying around the house. You can look on the charger and it will give the amperage that it puts out. Add the amperage used by each fan (it should be posted in the specs) and make sure the total is less than what the converter is capable of producing. Hook all the positives together and all the negatives together (parallel) and run to the converter. There will most likely be a plug on your 12v charger output wire, cut it off and bare the wires. Hook one side to the + wires and one side to the -'s and plug into a switched outlet on your receiver for power. You're done. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll shoot you my cell #.

Carl

• Moderators

Ok, I think I'm over thinking this situation. The main concern is the PS3 getting too hot since it is located next to the amp that is generating heat. I just need to move the PS3 to the top shelf and call it a day. [:D]

Ok, I think I'm over thinking this situation. The main concern is the PS3 getting too hot since it is located next to the amp that is generating heat. I just need to move the PS3 to the top shelf and call it a day. Big Smile

allow me this brief smartass moment to say "called it!" :P