Turntable Decisions

Nailbender

Hello Klipsch Forum members. I have come into a delimma and need some advice. I currently have a Thorens TD124 MKI in decent condition I bought in an auction almost 2 years back. It is apart and in the process of buying and assembling parts and pieces. I made a solid plinth from layered birch plywood and bought a SME 3009 series 1 tonearm. I don't see any time to complete in the immediate future. I was thinking of selling this setup in the making and purchasing a used VPI Scout to enjoy my small record collection sooner rather than later. Thoughts? Thanks for your advice in advance, Brian.

Perhaps you could find someone who could put it together for you and complete the project? If it is a quiet td124 it will be hard to beat. I've got the Garrard 301 idler so I am biased. The TD124 doesn't seem to be going down in valie. If you don't feel like fooling with vintage pick up something new :)

On another note. A complete TD124 with plinth tonearm and cart will be worth alot more than an uncompleted project. If you weren't happy with the finished product check the going rates on ebay.

Can you post a pic of your 124?

What? That Avatar is not enough for you homeySurprise LOL Oh you mean the threadmasters 124Wink Could look just like Nu2'sIndifferent 124's and 301's done right can pretty much hold their own with most tables

Actually I wanted to see pics of both and no the avatar isn't big enough. It is like looking at 1980's low rez bbs pron.

I've owned a Scout, and currently a TD-124. To me, there's no contest. The Thorens is much better in my system.

I had a Thorens 165 with a Origin arm which I liked but prefer the Scout. How do the 124's compare to the 165's? What cart do you use with your 124? Great looking table!

I've owned a Scout, and currently a TD-124. To me, there's no contest. The Thorens is much better in my system.

I had a Thorens 165 with a Origin arm which I liked but prefer the Scout. How do the 124's compare to the 165's? What cart do you use with your 124? Great looking table!
I use an AT33PTG cartridge. Great sounding cart for the money.

No way you can lose either way. If you have the scratch, go ahead and find a good deal on a Scout. If you decide to part with it once you complete your Thorens project you'll find it will retain its value just fine.

Mine is one of the few things in my system I purchased NIB and have never regretted it. Further, even the reviewers find only incremental improvement in those costing much, much more. Fact is, this TT is just about the perfect crossover in simplicity, build quality, and fine engineering.

Dave

Further, even the reviewers find only incremental improvement in those costing much, much more. Fact is, this TT is just about the perfect crossover in simplicity, build quality, and fine engineering.

couldn't be said better! what cart do you use?

Sorry I can't figure out the URL to post a picture.

Click on the options tab, and you can attach a photo file. After locating the image you want to attach scroll over to the right to save it. When you post the message it will be inserted.

For my two cents worth, I've seen TD-124's with a nice plinth and SME arm go for up to $2,000 on eBay. Slap an Ortofon SPU on that puppy and it will sound like a million bucks! No way I'd part with that table!

Here's a picture of mine:

Herb

post-37367-13819583521978_thumb.jpg