Question about Technics SL-1200 MkII

Marvel

Technics SL-1200 MkII

Anyone have experience with these? I know they pretty much own the DJ market. They are direct drive, same as my much cheaper Technics TT.

A local pawn shop, with a good reputation has a pair in a case, along with a DJ mixer. It looks like someone thought they would get into this and then decided to get rid of them. While I am not interested in the case or the mixer, all the parts appear to be as good as new. The case looks like it never left the house, TTs look great, etc. There are no dustcovers on the TTs, which would be the only drawback (if all else is ok).

They are asking $400 for the package.

I can take in headphones and one of my excess LPs to try them out

Bruce

$400? Heck of a deal! At that price, you could put a stereo cart on one and a mono cart on the other, if you have lots of mono LPs and want to hear them at their best.

The dust covers are available, as are nicely-styled wood plinth covers, from KAB USA.

I've been watching for a decent 1200 locally for months. They show up from time to time but they tend to fall in to one of two catagories. Either WAY overpriced or trashed.

If they've seen a lot of "DJ" time they could well be in the trashed catagory. There is a lot of good information on what to look at and check out over at audiokarma. There are a bunch of 1200 fan boys on that forum.

If they're in good shape and you decide to spring for them but don't want two tables I'll spit the pair with you. Sell the mixer and case on CL for a few bucks (I might want the mixer too) and you've got yourself an uber cheap 1200.

The salient detail I can recall is that while you can install a decent cart, the arm is fixed. As a ruggedized TT, I have heard a lot of positive reviews for the durability and sound for dollar.

At least one British audio mag has installed an upgraded arm on an SL-1200 and been impressed with the improved sound. I'm not sure, but it might be Hi-Fi World.

As for rugged, they're not nicknamed "The Wheel of Steel" for nothing.

Mine works great, sounds great (nothing to really compare it to) considering my last turntable was a Revox from about 20 years ago. I paid $300 for it new in the box and it's built like a tank. Sounds like you have a good deal in front of you.

They actually look minty, but I will check them out to make sure they are in good shape. I'm pretty sure they will both need different cartridges, but a friend already told me he would pay me $300 for one of them. The mixer I am sure I have a buyer for as well.

Only missing the dust covers, butI can make some if I can't get them off of fleabay. Thatnks for all the, eh... feedback. [;)]

Bruce

The salient detail I can recall is that while you can install a decent cart, the arm is fixed. As a ruggedized TT, I have heard a lot of positive reviews for the durability and sound for dollar.

At least one British audio mag has installed an upgraded arm on an SL-1200 and been impressed with the improved sound. I'm not sure, but it might be Hi-Fi World.

As for rugged, they're not nicknamed "The Wheel of Steel" for nothing.

I need to find that info! It won't just benefit me, but a LOT of people. The 1200 with a better arm and decent cart would be a giant killer...and I don't joke about that!

I need to find that info!

I ran across it at one point, while researching these. Here is a review on audiogon that gives a detailed look/listen:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ranlg&1093010514&read&3&4

I also found this review:

Summary:
The Technics SL-1200 mk2 is the best turntable that I have ever had. It is not only a DJ turntable but a real audiophile turntable. I use it with the excellent Rega RB600 tonearm and the pretty good Shure m97xe cartridge.

The musical personality of the Technics SL-1200 mk2 is bright, dynamic, detailed and a little bite cold with a Grado Prestige Black cartridge. If you use a neutral, soft and warm cartridge as a Shure m97xe or Shure v15Vxmr or a Goldring Eroica H, the Technics will really sing at its best. With my Shure m97xe cartridge and Rega RB600 arm the musical performance is good on all the frequency range. Bass is tight and clear not muddled at all. Medium is sweet and warm. Treble is soft and extended. The music is exciting to listen to with plenty of dynamic and details.

The technical performance from this turntable is exceptional. The platter REALLY turns at the right speed. I don't feel any frustration about the accuracy of the speed with this turntable. When I listen to the Chopin Waltzes, the piano is well reproduced with any wow or flutter. Since I discovered the qualities of a good direct drive turntable as the Technics, I'm less interested to the belt drive turntables.

I listen to classical, pop, rock and ambient music with the Technics, Rega and Shure combo. I recommend this turntable without any shy because it can beat british belt drive design. You can take a look to my combo in the photo gallery at the component section on this website.

Strengths:
Excellent musical performance with a neutral, soft and warm cartridge as the Shure m97xe.
Excellent technical performance from the DC motor.
Simplicity and reliability.
Good match with a Rega RB tonearm.

Weaknesses:
Can be bright and cold with some cartridges as the Grado Prestige Black. This cartridge is a good one but it is a better match with a belt drive turntable as the Rega Planar 25.

Similar Products Used:
Revolver standard turntable with Linn LVX tonearm.
Linn Axis turntable with Linn Basik+ tonearm.
Linn Basik turntable with Linn Akito tonarm.
Rega Planar 3 turntable with Rega RB300 tonearm.
Mission 775S turntable with a Mission 774 tonearm.
Rega Planar 25 with Rega RB600 tonearm.

I use a Rega Mira integrated amplifier and JMLab Chorus 715 loudspeakers.

They weren't as minty as I remembered them, but I talked the shop down a little more. The both run great, lock up to the correct speed like they always do. Tanks, that's what they are. I've sold one already, so my investment at this point is minimal. I think I have a buyer for the cheap numark mixer, which will make it even better. They both have the ortofon concorde cartridges, but no styli. No hurry for me to get this totally up and running, but I can do this without a whole lot of coin, which is always nice. They cleaned up really well, too.

Bruce