Quartet appreciation thread

4tay

I was looking for my next mod project, some bedroom speakers. I thought since I have a sub…heresy II’s would work as a first choice.

Problem is… black heresy II’s in nice condition start at $400 and up (plus shipping), when you can find them. In the rural pacific northwest...no such luck. I have found them a few times on fleabay, and got sniped by $5 at the last second. In fact, just yesterday. The demand is insane. Heresy II is definitely not hurting for popularity. I prefer the HII to H1 because I am solidly a tractrix guy. Ideally for me, the best Klipsch of any size have separate mid and tweet horns.

I thought about which model Klipsch would be appropriate for the bedroom, and not need a sub. (for my purposes that means flat down to 40hz or lower) I already have KG4’s, and wanted a midrange horn, not cone.

Quartets came to mind. I know it’s not my imagination, but these are the single most underrated and overlooked gem in the Klipsch lineup. They have separate horns like the heresy, but a quick and deep low end closer to the Forte. They don’t need a sub…like a supersized heresy or forte jr.

The perfect part is…You can find them for under $350 in top condition-with a wood finish, not just black. And I did just that.

Quartets are an amazing small speaker that gets ignored all too often. They fill a niche, and do so for much less money. They are crisp, quick and really “bring it” in a small to medium room. As much as I dig my KG4’s, the quartet are a cut above, and don’t sacrifice low end. The KG4’s will be surrounds, and the quartets will be the new bedroom speaker.

I have already ordered the goodies to upgrade the crossovers and install titanium tweeter diaphragms.

I’d like to hear from quartet owners…and get some more perspective on Quartet appreciation.

Congrats on a good find. I pulled my Quartets out of the spare room and put them in as mains while I had my Chorus IIs down for repair, and I was reminded of how much I like them. I love my Heresys, but if I had to choose between them and the Quartets, the Quartets would win.

The Quartets have a lot to recommend them. I think they compare favorably with the Chorus IIs. They don't have the same presence, and they can't hope to pack the same oomph, but in my opinion, they do everything the Chorus II does until you get into the extremes. At a certain point there's just no replacement for displacement, and at that point the Chorus really shines.

Where the Quartet has an advantage is in smaller rooms or with smaller amps, IMO. The Quartet doesn't seem to need as much juice to wake up, and the Chorus wants a lot of room to breathe. Quartets are terrific office or bedroom speakers.

I love the Quartets. If I had to choose just one pair of speakers to keep, they would probably be the ones. They sure are easier to move than their big brothers are.

I bought a pair of Quartets a couple years ago, sold one and kept one to use as a center speaker. Worked perfectly except for the fact that I did not have an ideal way to use it. I had it sitting on a wood stand laying on its side in front of my TV. It looked really dumb like that so after a while I sold it. I wish I would have been able to make it work because it was a great match to my Forte II fronts.

And before you drool too much over Heresy IIs, they have exponential horns, not tractrix. Even the Heresy III only has a tractrix tweeter horn, the midrange is still exponential.

I have said this a million times before, so one more time can't hurt [8-|] ... maybe... The only problem with the Quartet is they are just too short and/or not angled back like the Heresy. If you sit on the floor, the Quartet sounds remarkably similar to the Forte II. ... or MAYBE NOT so remarkably since if you compare its construction/size/volume it IS 80% a FII. Raising it 6" or so off the ground (patio pavers will do) helps immensely. I am also not particularly fond of the K76 ... which IS shared by the Heresy. It may all be in my head, but it just doesn't sound as good/same as the K75 (used in the FII)... easily rectified by a swap. The Quartet, especially on the USED market, is certainly one of the best bang for the buck deals out there.

I have said this a million times before, so one more time can't hurt Geeked ... maybe... The only problem with the Quartet is they are just too short and/or not angled back like the Heresy. If you sit on the floor, the Quartet sounds remarkably similar to the Forte II. ... or MAYBE NOT so remarkably since if you compare its construction/size/volume it IS 80% a FII. Raising it 6" or so off the ground (patio pavers will do) helps immensely. I am also not particularly fond of the K76 ... which IS shared by the Heresy. It may all be in my head, but it just doesn't sound as good/same as the K75 (used in the FII)... easily rectified by a swap. The Quartet, especially on the USED market, is certainly one of the best bang for the buck deals out there.

I have some specialized risers just for such an occasion! (And they won't be floor standing) Luckily, the speaker parts are not a permenent fixture. [6] Right off the bat, they get modded. I'm not trying to make these replace larger speakers, but I know they will shine for this application. I have a nice 12" sealed box sub to go with them. From experiance, adding a sub and dialing it in changes everything. I am mulling over a Jolida, antique soundlabs or Dynaco st-70 to hotrod. I mention Jolida and ASL because I can be lazy and it's easier to deal with a non-corroded chassis and buy modern tubes.

I am glad to see such responses because if there was a pie chart of the speaker discussion at Klipsch, La Scala and Heresy would get the lions share of the "slices." I can read up all day about those speakers, but comparitively little exists about the mighty little quartets. They would be respresented by a very narrow sliver of the pie.

The few-the proud-the quartet owners. Wait...I shouldn't use that. "Sempre fidelity" no...wait..."The quartet quarter"

Have a set of stock WOs that I just never got around to re-capping. I've had the BEC kit for years. I received them as a Christmas gift in '91 I think I suppose that my testament is that they are still here.

Have a set of stock WOs that I just never got around to re-capping. I've had the BEC kit for years. I received them as a Christmas gift in '91 I think I suppose that my testament is that they are still here.

At the very least, with 14-24 year old speakers, the caps will get freshened before they have a chance to cause damage. I have heard the unmodded quartets, and do enjoy them stock. The last time was with an OTL amp of sorts playing Miles. It was enough to sell me on the potential. It also made me ask myself why bother with the heresy II's...these are more my style.

I would put my Quartet's/Marantz 2252B combo up against any Klipsch/SS(or any other ???/SS combo for that matter) out there factoring in price/performance($220.00 total) and room size(13x13x10). The Quartet's are definitely a special speaker. I have tried many combinations with them(Acurus, vintage Marantz, vintage Sony, vintage Luxman, vintage Denon, 90's Onkyo int.) with all jiving very well with them. If an oportunity arises, add them to your collection.

Bill

I would put my Quartet's/Marantz 2252B combo up against any Klipsch/SS(or any other ???/SS combo for that matter) out there factoring in price/performance($220.00 total) and room size(13x13x10). The Quartet's are definitely a special speaker. I have tried many combinations with them(Acurus, vintage Marantz, vintage Sony, vintage Luxman, vintage Denon, 90's Onkyo int.) with all jiving very well with them. If an oportunity arises, add them to your collection.

Bill

Hey Bill, You missed trying the best one for the Quartets. Its a Sansui 8080db and I personally loved it with my Quartets. I think the Quartets are the absolute best speaker under the Chorus II that Klipsch sells. ( strictly my opinion ) I used the only thing that Bose ever made that was any good and that was their tulip stands to raise them up off the floor. Heres what they looked like.

post-29696-13819584159572_thumb.jpg

Hey Bill, You missed trying the best one for the Quartets. Its a Sansui 8080db and I personally loved it with my Quartets. I think the Quartets are the absolute best speaker undre the Chorus II that Klipsch sells. ( strictly my opinion ) I used the only thing that Bose ever made that was any good and that was their tulip stands to raise them up off the floor. Heres what they looked like.

HAHAHAHAH!! [:D] For a speaker company Bose makes great ferrofluid filled electronic car struts! [:D]

The Quartets have a super-defined and dare I say "quick" low end for a non horn-loaded bass. The woofer and PR are perfect togeather.

Here is my recent purchase: note the top has scratches on one speaker:

Posted Image

I am considering refinishing the speaker in a transparent cheery cherry or red mahogany to liven them up.

Other than those scratches and rust on the driver screws they are fresh. The screws are getting replaced when I mod the xover and tweeter.

Posted Image