BBQ Sauce

This is a recipie that I have been using for 30+ years. It is relatively easy and the results are great. People who tried it would bug the hell out of me for free bottles and it got to be a pain. I would just show them how to make it so they would leave me alone. Not joking

You will need a large mixing bowl and an electric hand held mixer.I have better luck making large batches as to adjust the ingredents after the mix. Retain extra ingredents after the first mix to adjust for taste. LEAVE ROOM in the bowl to add/adjust- very important

8 -18 oz bottles of Kraft REGULAR BBQ sauce- must be the regular- not smoked-1- 40 oz bottle of Heinz Ketchup-pour these into your mixing bowl. I pour about an inch of white vinegar in the empty containers and wash them out to get the last of the sauce and add necessary vinegar to the mix. Retain the bottles to store the sauce for later use.At this point I add one of the small bottles of Texas Pete to the mix. I like mine a little on the hot side so you may want to adjust to taste. Cover the top of the mixture with a generous portion of hand ground black pepper, The same with instant minced garlic to taste- you can also used powdered garlic. Add a splash of vinegar in addition to the vinegar left in the bottles. Dont over do it or themixture will become too thin.Typically I put enough pepper and garlic to coat the top of the mixture in a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients completely.

Taste the mixture. Too hot or spicy add more BBQ sauce and ketchup-Too bland add more of the other ingredients. Now the PITA- pouring the mixuture back into those bottles with the small openings. You can do smaller batches using the same ratios but it seems more difficult to adjust the mix after mixing. Keep the sauce in the fridge. I t last for ages with all of the vinegar. I use this on pork-chicken- beef ribs.Sorry for the general amount on the spices. One or 2 attempts and it will be easy.

Lets hear about yours

I've become a fan of vinegar bbq sauces lately. This year I will have a plethora of ceyenne, tabasco, jalapeno, habanero, horn, and mystery south american peppers. Soon I'll have so many peppers I'll not know what to do with them. You've given me a great idea. I'll make a couple different batches of BBQ sauce from thick to thin. That is in addition to the hot sauces :)

This is a recipie that I have been using for 30+ years. It is relatively easy and the results are great. People who tried it would bug the hell out of me for free bottles and it got to be a pain. I would just show them how to make it so they would leave me alone. Not joking

You will need a large mixing bowl and an electric hand held mixer.I have better luck making large batches as to adjust the ingredents after the mix. Retain extra ingredents after the first mix to adjust for taste. LEAVE ROOM in the bowl to add/adjust- very important

8 -18 oz bottles of Kraft REGULAR BBQ sauce- must be the regular- not smoked-1- 40 oz bottle of Heinz Ketchup-pour these into your mixing bowl. I pour about an inch of white vinegar in the empty containers and wash them out to get the last of the sauce and add necessary vinegar to the mix. Retain the bottles to store the sauce for later use.At this point I add one of the small bottles of Texas Pete to the mix. I like mine a little on the hot side so you may want to adjust to taste. Cover the top of the mixture with a generous portion of hand ground black pepper, The same with instant minced garlic to taste- you can also used powdered garlic. Add a splash of vinegar in addition to the vinegar left in the bottles. Dont over do it or themixture will become too thin.Typically I put enough pepper and garlic to coat the top of the mixture in a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients completely.

Taste the mixture. Too hot or spicy add more BBQ sauce and ketchup-Too bland add more of the other ingredients. Now the PITA- pouring the mixuture back into those bottles with the small openings. You can do smaller batches using the same ratios but it seems more difficult to adjust the mix after mixing. Keep the sauce in the fridge. I t last for ages with all of the vinegar. I use this on pork-chicken- beef ribs.Sorry for the general amount on the spices. One or 2 attempts and it will be easy.

Lets hear about yours

I'm going to give it a try... I'll give you a report as to how well I did

Yes Mustard is a good variation which I use sometimes- about half of a 20 oz suqeeze bottle of French's regular mustard. Or Webbers if you cand find it.

I suggest trying it with and without depending on if you like mustard in a BBQ sauce. If I am using primarily for pork I do use the mustard. If for chicken without. I like it either way. Thanks for mentioning the mustard. I should have put it down in the first place..

This is also good on grilled king mackrel.

Anybody try a good oriental (Mongolian BBQ) sauce? Good for marinade, skewered bbq's, and as a sauce when done with a stir fry.

The Sauce:

• 1 x 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 x cup water (traditional. Leave the water out for a thicker basting or dipping sauce)
  • 2 x large cloves garlic, crushed (or 2 heaping tablespoons minced garlic in oil)
  • 1 x 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
  • 4 x star anise (or 1/2 teaspoon normal anise)
  • 1 x 3/4 cup rice wine (or dry sherry, the sherry is the cheapest way to do it and tastes just fine)
  • 1 x tablespoon sugar
  • 1 x teaspoon fresh grated ginger root (fresh is the key...)
  • 1 x 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 x 1/2 cup green onions (scallions), chopped
  • 1 x 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or one x chopped up jalapeno, etc.)

Mix ingredients, and if you use water, better to bring to a low simmer, and then let cool.

You can also add 1 tablespoon of dark sesame oil, or a tablespoon of peanut butter (chunky kind) to vary the flavor. The best "additive" is the dark sesame oil. If you add the oil or p'butter, best to make the sherry and water warm.

You can also add a 1/ teaspoon of coriander (traditional)

This works best with beef and lamb. As a marinade, use a ziploc bag and let marinate for at least an hour or two.

Mongolian Barbecue.... The Legend....

As the legend goes, Mongolian barbecue was one of the weapons that Genghis Kahn used in conquering China. His soldiers turned their metal shields upside down over their campfires and used them as bowls to cook meat and vegetables with the rich, delicious smelling sauce. Upon smelling the enticing aroma, the opposing soldiers would surrender. Mongolian barbecue actually originated in the Shantung Province of China. This an easy stir-fry, traditionally made with beef strips stir-fried with onions, scallions, and peppers in the spicy bbq sauce.

Tasty souding sauces, cant wait to try them.

This one is simple and has a nice tangy bite to it and easily experimented with:

Coca-Cola BB-que Sauce

! cup ( I just use a 12oz can ) of Coke

! cup Ketchup

1/4 cup What's-This-Here sauce

1/4 cup A-1 steak sauce

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

1/4 teaspon each, or to taste, of oinion, garlic and black pepper

Mix in pan, bring to boil, simmer until reduced by 1/4, about 8 minutes. Let stand awhile to thicken. Bottle and fridge.

This is a bit OT since we are talking about homemade sauces, and which for a long time I have always made myself.

I may quit completely, because this weekend a friend introduced me to Old Mule sauce. I can't compete with it.

https://www.oldmule.com/

It's a family operation and is made on the family farm in North Carolina. I have no affiliation with them.

It's just THAT good.

Randall