4638 is in the house!

space_cowboy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres another question from a rookie. Can you just split the output from the sub out jack infinitely? I mean if someone wanted to run 3 different subs, do you just keep splitting it? Is there any performance hit? Also, if you have a choice between having the amp close to the pre amp and having a longish run of speaker wire or having the amp near(or on) the speaker with a long connection between amp and pre amp, which is preferable?

Thanks

Dan

Danartdis: The Parts Express amp has a 40-160Hz variable high-pass X-over. So you can put a full range input into it and have BASS! There is a pair of RCA in/out loops on the amp, so you should be able to link multiple subs.

As for the cable, I have that same question. I would GUESS that a longer speaker cable would be preferable. The interconnect has a much wealer signal, and would be easier to mess up.

Enjoy it!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

anybody tried this 793 w/ remote for a few bucks more? remote volume & crossover control.

i like having a volume control for the sub. up for HT, & flat for music. sometimes i move the crossover in the pre/pro to 40hz for music & higher for HT.

besides a few less watts, looks to have everything else the 794 has. or does it?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=15985&CATID=43

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-04-2002 at 04:16 PM

My second JBL-4638 is due within the hour. Forgot to order an amp (PartsExpress 250W). Damn! As to whether these things are The Bomb, I can only offer my subjective opinion and say that they sound great and definitely move some air. For ~$367.00 total (cabinet and amp), its a great deal (except for its 3D footprint). After watching the new video Thirteen Ghosts the other night, I decided that maybe I dont need two JBLs, but what the hell.

boa12,

I have been leaving my setup as:

Phase 90

Crossover 80 Hz

Level ~ 10:00

For both movies and audio.

If the house is-a rockin, dont come-a knockin

CT

------------------

Ok,

It just showed up. Holy $#!t. I've gotta get this thing hooked up. I NEED AN AMP!!!

I asked the shipping guy what he thought it cost to ship this thing. He estimated about $120.00 That's almost like a free amp. Gotta go look again and make sure it's real. See ya.

CT

=====================================

Charlie Tuna's A/V rig:

Front mains Klipsch Forte IIs

Front center Klipsch KLF-C7

sub/woofer JBL 4638 cabinet

Front effects Klipsch Quintets

Rears Klipsch Quartets

TV Pioneer SD-P4565 rear projection

Power Monster HTS 500 MKII

A/V Amp Yamaha DSP-A1

CD Nakamichi CDC-300 (200 cd changer)

DVD/CD Toshiba SD-3109

VCR Panasonic HI-FI model

CATV TWC Digital Cable/cable modem

Speaker wire Monster OMC 12G

Interconnects Monster MVSV3 Super Video/MB300SW Bass/ILS200 lightspeed/Interlink 400 MKII/MV2R RCA

A/V rack Studio Tech, Inc. Model PS-6 B/B

Pioneer SX-255R Receiver to power patio speakers, Boston Acoustics Voyagers

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

This message has been edited by CharlieTuna on 04-04-2002 at 06:04 PM

great charlie-t. rock on! are you hooking the amp line level to the sub out & setting the forte as large or small? then you wouldn't need the crossover on the amp dialed down as the receiver dsp is already filtering the sub output. remember if you set sub:yes

in most cases all lfe goes to the sub out & if you don't turn the low pass crossover all the way up you could be throwing away lfe above 80hz or wherever the low pass on the amp is set.

guess you could always do sub:no & run the front preouts into the amp which sums it into mono for the jbl. then i'd just connect the fronts in parallel to the amp/sub. but i find the dynamics of lfe channel better using the sub preout (so lfe goes only to sub).

i'm really considering doing the 38 in the lounge but by running the sub out of my marantz sr8000 (rf-3 set small, 80hz fixed crossover to sub out) to a power in of the old kenwood kr9600 (160WX2, seems like a lot of current, switched to mono), then connecting the 4638 to a set of the ken's speaker terminals. only fear is it could be the end of the ken w/ a 4ohm load. cwm13.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-04-2002 at 08:46 PM

Mine arrived today. In my case, it did take a while to get. JBL didn't ship mine out until 12 days after I placed the order (I called them last week and found out the day they shipped). It took another 9 days to arrive. All in all, they took 3 weeks to be delivered. No complaints from me though, I was in no hurry. The delivery company actually called me to schedule a delivery time, they wanted a two hour window to deliver.

Some initial comments:

These things are big. They are very close in size to a Cornwall in all three dimensions.

I used a citrus-based cleaner to get the warning label off. It came off very easily.

If you're not sure how to connect the speaker wires, turn the thing upside down. Mine was upside down when I first looked at the speaker terminals and it was easy to see how to connect the wires. I didn't realize that you don't see the same holes when it's rightside up, until I turned rightside up.

I like they way they look. Although they don't really fit in with most home's decor (low WAF), I think they look very cool! Tim Taylor would love these, very manly. I also think the white JBL logo on the sides look cool. I eventually plan to build a front grill.

I also asked the delivery guy how much it cost to ship. He said JBL probably gets good shipping rates, and he guessed it would have been around $75 (California to Dallas).

The hand truck that I bought at Home Depot for $30 is worth it's weight in gold. I also just used it a couple of days ago when I helped a friend move. It has been an invaluable tool.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use mine for a while, so they are back in their boxes.

Sounds like you got a pair - how kool.

Wow, I didn't realize Cornwalls were so big (never seem 'em, except pictures).

PartsExpress has grill cloth. I plan on making a frams that goes around the inside edges of the front and either nailing flat or mitering the corners. I think I'm gonna use Velcro to stick the grill to the cabinet. Seems like an easy project (famous last words).

~ $120.00 estimated delivery cost to Florida.

Back in the boxes??? How unfortunate.

Crank 'em up and enjoy!!!

CT

------------------

Charlie Tuna's A/V rig:

Front mains Klipsch Forte IIs

Front center Klipsch KLF-C7

sub/woofer JBL 4638 cabinet

Front effects Klipsch Quintets

Rears Klipsch Quartets

TV Pioneer SD-P4565 rear projection

Power Monster HTS 500 MKII

A/V Amp Yamaha DSP-A1

CD Nakamichi CDC-300 (200 cd changer)

DVD/CD Toshiba SD-3109

VCR Panasonic HI-FI model

CATV TWC Digital Cable/cable modem

Speaker wire Monster OMC 12G

Interconnects Monster MVSV3 Super Video/MB300SW Bass/ILS200 lightspeed/Interlink 400 MKII/MV2R RCA

A/V rack Studio Tech, Inc. Model PS-6 B/B

Pioneer SX-255R Receiver to power patio speakers, Boston Acoustics Voyagers

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

The Motor Cargo guy said it would be $125 is I shipped it, and a big company would pay $75-100 to ship it! IMAGINE HOW MUCH MONEY JBL IS LOSING!!! Poor guys!

Yes, I have two hand trucks, they are worth their weight in ANYTHING! I have moved a lot, and they are the FIRST thing I use. Gotta love those things!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Talk about a cult mentality here. LOL I will say again that JBL are over priced and you dudes/chumps paid exactly what they are worth for those woffer bins.

LOL Tom Brennin seems to be the chump ringleader here. I dont think he even owns any Klipsch. What kind of troll is that? LOL

------------------

go forth & hump the world

The JBLs at $219. delivered are a real steal (the 2 woofers would fetch more then this as parts on ebay} ... big room filling sound ...I use them in conjunction with Klipsch subs to produce a subtle but welcome low augmentation for music and a room shaking augmantation for action flixs( a lot of speaker surface area requires less excursion to push a lot of air, thus less distortion).

I'm sure Tom Brennan will agree that you can not beat a huge bass horn (like Dr. Edger's at the Midwest Audiofest) in bass quality. Small subs with high powered amps have their advantages and limitations, too.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Oh Forrest, when will you learn... I would never pay full retail for them, but find me a better sub for $220.

------------------

Forresthump,

Pull one of the 15" woofers out of the JBL and compare it to a 15" woofer from any klipsch heritage model and you tell me which one is better.

And technically speaking the 4638 JBL is not a sub but a low frequency unit. If you want to compare subs to subs then use the JBL 4642A with two massive 18" and power it up with a good 1200 watts and see if any home sub can keep up with it????????

I call it a Woofer Bin. Your comrades are the ones calling it a Sub. LOL Good to hear you now arent calling it a sub dudes because it is not. Try listening to a good sub like my Ultra before you start talking of the second coming with these cheep woofers.

I think a pair of cornwalls with enough power will do the same. LOL

------------------

go forth & hump the world

Just got 'em hooked up - driving 2 of them with a Crown CE 1000 and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as EQ (haven't done much with this though).

Initial impression:

Holy Bass!!!!!!

These absolutely shred the Velodyne I got rid of (CT150), just hooked up and level balanced by ear, with no real tweaking. More bass than I know what to do with - I could become the least popular guy on my block in a hurry. I certainly feel comfortable enough with them to eagerly proceed with the tweaks (ground hum and EQ). Certainly worth the dough.

I will give a full review after I get a chance to play with the BFD, do some sweeps, and play some software - but I am initially very pleased. I anticipated sound more "off the mark" and boomy, peaky bass - but for "just hooked up and no real tweaks" they are impressive.

More to come.......

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002