4638 is in the house!

space_cowboy

dndphishin: Welcome to the club, I am glad you like it!

Tuna: Someday, I just may learn. It would sure be great to know everything like you.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 04-10-2002 at 12:35 PM

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forresthump,

Now I know you don't know what your talking about. I used to own cornwalls and I can say the JBL 4638 blow them out of the water for bass and I am only running them with 325w/ch and they are begging for more power where the cornwall's woofers would be popping.

After you compare the 4638 woofer to a cornwall's then compare a JBL 2446 horn driver to a cornwall's midrange. The JBL is about the size of an 8" woofer and weighs 30 lbs. Maybe thats why they sell for $500 apiece.

Mike: Yes, my bad, correction made, sorry EAR.

Pentium 4: Your right about the mid range DRIVER. It has a 4 INCH voice coil, and weights about 30 lbs's. It is very nice. This is what I was refering to when I said JBL makes some awsome gear. Also, you can use that puppy as a TWEETER ONLY in a dual 15" (2226/2227) system. You would be able to get a CLEAN 135dB.+ out of it, no question. On the JBL cinema web site, look at the 5000 SERIES CINEMA speakers, one is 11' tall and weights 350 pounds! It is ~$7000 EACH!

I have, in person, as in my ears, heard the JBL TR series at an apartment pool party/Luau at a friends apartment complex. They sounded, clean, dynamic, and very good in gereral. There are JBL's entry-level (aka - cheap) pro speakers.

Also, I have heard the SR Series at a concert in London (Portishead @ Docklands) there were about 500 people in a very large room and the sound blew me away. Portishead isn't all punk, 120dB., there is a lot of subtle detail in the music, and, like I said, the music was AMAZING!!! There are not even JBL'

s touring speakers!

JBL knows the score, they make good stuff. End of story. Tuna, it strikes me as a little odd that you are the ONLY one here that doen't agree. I would respect a opposite answer, but you are just our doing JBL bashing.

I KNOW!!!: Tuna is a Klipsch administrator and is trying to make us JBL lovers hate JBL!!!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get a tracking number or some other estimate for arrival time for these JBL's? I know they were shipped based on the one conversation I have had with JBL but I neglected to inquire if there is a way to keep track of the shipping process. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

CALL JBL IN NORTHRIDGE, CALIFORNIA!!!

That is the ONLY way to get info, they are very nice, call them!

------------------

There's no tracking on the JBL pro shipments - they are shipped by freight truck. Check your credit card balance to see when they charged your unit(s), then figure 5 to 10 days after for delivery.

The shipper called me the day before to make sure I would be there. This made it easy to coordinate the delivery time. Not sure that this will happen in every case though.

BTW - Polarity with the JBL's: I hooked these up initially as black = positive, which is the convention with the majority of JBL pro gear. They sounded good, until I took another look at the spec sheet.

Spec sheet says these are positive polarity (positive to red connection). Most JBL pro is the other way around, where black = positive, but I understand that some newer units are red = positive. According to JBL's literature, the 4638 is positive = red. So, I switched them to red = positive, and they sound much better (more effortless too - output to spare), especially at higher volumes.

EDIT: I just checked the 4648A spec sheet (which Kenratboy and TBrennan have) and it is black = positive. This clarifies this issue, since I saw Kenratboy's post that his is black = positive.

So, 4638 - red = positive

4648 - black = positive

So, watch your polarity, folks!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 04-10-2002 at 04:52 PM

JBL switched to RED = POSITIVE a year or so ago. I "think" the 4648A-8 is older than the 4638, hunce the polarity difference.

I use material with a kick drum in it and see is the woofer bumps OUT then it hits. Also, a 1.5 volt batterys postive signal on a termainal means that one is positive.

------------------

I think kenratboy mistakenly referenced me in his reply to "forrestchump" regarding the JBLs (we share the same icon). No offense taken, as this $#!thead has shown many times his immaturity and will continue to be the turd stuck to our shoes. Like all lower creatures, it's best to ignore him and he'll go away.

CT

------------------

=====================================

Charlie Tuna's A/V rig:

Front mains Klipsch Forte IIs

Front center Klipsch KLF-C7

sub/woofer JBL 4638 cabinet

Front effects Klipsch Quintets

Rears Klipsch Quartets

TV Pioneer SD-P4565 rear projection

Power Monster HTS 500 MKII

A/V Amp Yamaha DSP-A1

CD Nakamichi CDC-300 (200 cd changer)

DVD/CD Toshiba SD-3109

VCR Panasonic HI-FI model

CATV TWC Digital Cable/cable modem

Speaker wire Monster OMC 12G

Interconnects Monster MVSV3 Super Video/MB300SW Bass/ILS200 lightspeed/Interlink 400 MKII/MV2R RCA

A/V rack Studio Tech, Inc. Model PS-6 B/B

Pioneer SX-255R Receiver to power patio speakers, Boston Acoustics Voyagers

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

My apologies Charlie Tuna. Yes, I was confused, my bad.

Ignore him? Yes and no. He is fun to play with, but is also annoying, its all good entertainment for the other 9,500 forum members who seem to govern themselves.

------------------

Yes Rat Pack how could you make that mistake? Tuna has the brain of a mackeral. He makes his name the Same as his picture how ingenious. LOL Bet his face smells like rotten fish and mine Smells like ginger Just like Fred Astaire. LOL So you clowns have any Specs yet on Those JBL Woffer Bins? LOL I bet when that needle hits 30HZ it drops faster than Charlie Tuna's FAT Wife OR Girlfriend on his face. LOL

------------------

go forth & hump the world

Well the JBL's arrived and now I am trying to arrange delivery from my office to my house. That is a Big box. I commented in another thread that if I am not blown away by the sound of this cabinet, I may sell and look for something smaller than the JBL but more powerful than my KSW-12. I have been making measurements around the equipment in the front of the room(do ya think I shoulda' done that before buying?)and its going to look a little imposing. Oh well, I will just have to take her home and audition her before deciding what to do.

Forrest---Here you go dildo. This is my rig's response from 25hz (lowest reading) to 16khz (highest reading)as shown on my Panasonic real time analyzer with a calibrated mic. The only EQ used is that of the PE plateamp. Note the response is very flat across the board, with +-3db 25hz to 16khz in a real room. The mic was placed where my head would be when listening. 25hz is only 4db down from upper bass peaking (and not bad peaking at that). This is real world results, not pie-in-the-sky. Now what do you have to show us besides alot of gas?

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 04-12-2002 at 10:25 PM

GO TOM!

GO TOM!

GO TOM!

You show him. I am interested too! I just installed Win XP Pro, it is GREAT!

------------------

TB,

Thanks for the quantitative data. Looks pretty good.

Now, if you only make forrestchump disappear...

CT

------------------

Charlie Tuna's A/V rig:

Front mains Klipsch Forte IIs

Front center Klipsch KLF-C7

sub/woofer JBL 4638 cabinet

Front effects Klipsch Quintets

Rears Klipsch Quartets

TV Pioneer SD-P4565 rear projection

Power Monster HTS 500 MKII

A/V Amp Yamaha DSP-A1

CD Nakamichi CDC-300 (200 cd changer)

DVD/CD Toshiba SD-3109

VCR Panasonic HI-FI model

CATV TWC Digital Cable/cable modem

Speaker wire Monster OMC 12G

Interconnects Monster MVSV3 Super Video/MB300SW Bass/ILS200 lightspeed/Interlink 400 MKII/MV2R RCA

A/V rack Studio Tech, Inc. Model PS-6 B/B

Pioneer SX-255R Receiver to power patio speakers, Boston Acoustics Voyagers

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

ForrestGump,

Looks to me like most Klipschers start to know you better,your paranoia is taking over again!

So ForrestDump how about you post something informative and not laced with verbal garbage for a change.

Forrest if you want to help us all just take a plastic bag and put in on your cranium and tie a knot around your neck.Wait 30 minutes and voila,the world is a better place.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 04-13-2002 at 10:33 PM

OK Numbnuts Hoffa Not that anybody can see the numbers on your EQ but you already confirm the thing drops after 30HZ. My Ultra get louder at 20HZ let alone that 25HZ, LOL Face it they low Frequency Drivers and Not a Sub.

They just dont have the displacement and there aint no replacement for displacement. Wink.gif My KLipsch mains with my high power Mac amp pump just as hard at 30HZ. LOL

What is your agenda here with JBL? Everybody with any history know how knows JBL are OK drivers and mediocre speakers design and way overpriced because of the brand name they build.

Are you a JBL distributor or something? LOL I say they worth the tent sale price but no more. What's with all the hard feelings. I just calling it like it is. Nuff said chumps. Enjoy your high bass. You will never know what LOW bass is until you try it. LOL

------------------

go forth & hump the world

This message has been edited by forresthump on 04-14-2002 at 02:39 AM

Forrest---And when did I claim the 4648s were a dedicated sub? If you remember this whole thing started when I needed bass augmentation for my Altec A5 cabinets that start going south after 100hz. The 4648s were bought for that purpose and the fact that they extend to 25 with proper placement and the PE plateamp is a happy bonus. And extension to 25hz with the ability to easily hit 125db with very low distortion is formidable performence, I don't see how you could deny that. Large diaphragm area is a good substitute for large driver displacement, I'd rather use 4-15s short-stroking than 1-18 long-stroking; distortion is lower and dynamics are better. That's the whole idea behind horns you know, maybe some knowledge of horns and their advantages would be useful to you when posting on a board frequented by horn enthusiasts. And 4-15s short-stroking are going to better match the sonic qualities of my Altec basshorns than a single long-stroker would. As for JBL you seem woefully ignorant. Whether you like JBL sound or not is a matter of preference but the build-quality and objective performence of JBL gear is undeniable. Note that I'm getting flat response to 16khz on-axis with a 2-way using a JBL compression driver on an Edgar saladbowl, that's excellent performence. But you can do that if you start with good drivers instead of cheap Atlas bullhorn drivers like Klipsch does. Well I've backed up my claims, now show us how your sub gains in output below 20hz. Show me Forrest.