Pepper Season Mistakes.....Again

seti

The Habenero, Jalapeno, Cheyenne, and Tabasco pepper plants are putting out some great peppers. For anyone else out there who is growing peppers I have one piece of advice. Touch a pepper even if it is just one wash your hands very very very very well. I have made the mistake again this year. Yes I did make that one mistake you do not want to make after pepper picking. I swore after last year I would not do this again. Perhaps I am incapable of learning. The damage is done and I am likely to make this mistake again. What can you do to get pepper heat out of the skin? I can safely say the habeneros got the heat going on.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peppers have their capsaicin in an oil, so wash thoroughly with soap and cold water.

I guess thoroughly before I touch anything. Once in the skin washing seemd to spread it around LOL..... The heat has subsided into a dull heat. Feeling much better now.

Yeah, you might have to hit it with a liquid soap (like Dawn) with no water, and be careful about spreading it first, and then rinse it off. Another thought would be to use Tecnu -- it's for treating poison oak, ivy, and sumac, which carry their toxins in oil similar to how peppers carry their heat.

• Moderators

Don't go top the bathroom without washing your hands first. [:o] Same thing when eating boiled seafood.

Never grew any hot peppers this year just Banana peppers, we stuffed some and canned/pickled some. And there is a bunch more ready now but I want to find a different flavor pickling spice than the first batch.

For some reason the peppers grew like crazy this year, it was only 6 plants ?

Yeah, you might have to hit it with a liquid soap (like Dawn) with no water, and be careful about spreading it first, and then rinse it off. Another thought would be to use Tecnu -- it's for treating poison oak, ivy, and sumac, which carry their toxins in oil similar to how peppers carry their heat.

That makes sense I'll give that a try.

Don't go top the bathroom without washing
your hands first. Surprise
Same thing when eating boiled seafood.

Never grew any hot
peppers this year just Banana peppers, we stuffed some and
canned/pickled some. And there is a bunch more ready now but I want to
find a different flavor pickling spice than the first batch.

For
some reason the peppers grew like crazy this year, it was only 6
plants ?

It is too late. That was the mistake I made again this year.

The tabasco peppers are my favorite, They have great flavor. The best come from your part of the country.\

I have made the mistake
again this year.

Most folks learn the first time , you may need
to seek professional help .

I never said I was smart.

This time I was just picking the peppers so I didn't think I'd get anything on my hands like chopping for cooking. Perhaps I'll wear gloves everytime I deal with them.

• Moderators

Seti how do you eat some of those peppers your growing, I can't handle really hot peppers. I like hot sauce but not the really hot sauce, I like the ones that have a more vinegar taste like Louisiana, or Crystal not even Tabasco.

I used to raise my own jalapenos and habaneros. Now I simply grow a small pot of Aurora pequins and rely on stores for the others. If you are growing pepper plants and feel the need to touch them or pick them, try wearing those throw-away plastic gloves they use in the food service industry. They're fairly cheap and come in a large box. The trick is to remove them BEFORE touching anything! -Glenn

Pequins are an excellent choice. I especially like them dried and crumble 2 or 3 into marinaras and stir fries. I grew tabascos last year, the crop came in a little late. At the first frost I still had green, yellow, as well as red fruit, I layered by color into a bottle and filled with vinegar and it made a beautiful gift...Definitely wash your hands often when handling, seems to do the trick for me and I never use gloves.

I was going to recommend disposable gloves. oldtimer, I hate gloves, too. But when I have to, I wear Atlas Nitrile gloves. It's the only glove I can actually do carpentry in. Check it out.

Atlas%20Nitrile%20Glove.jpg

I'm not a big hot fan. This year I've got 4 tomato plants (Paul Robeson, Pineapple, Hillbilly and Cherokee Purple), peas, beans, 2 kinds of beets (Detroit and gold), basil (made a big batch of pesto yesterday), fennel, artichokes, butternut and delicato squash. Most stuff is getting a slow start this year.

Seti how do you eat some of those peppers your growing, I can't handle really hot peppers. I like hot sauce but not the really hot sauce, I like the ones that have a more vinegar taste like Louisiana, or Crystal not even Tabasco.

If I make hot sauce I can thin it out so it isn't so spicy but you get the flavor. If I use the habenero in beens I remove the seeds. I like it spicy. Even if it is really hot you can just use a few drops and get great flavor. I grew up using hot peppers so I am acustomed to them. This year I think I am going to try something different like a habenera mango sauce. Last year I didn't have much time to make sauce so I just threw them in a food processor and added them to a jar of olive oil. This was surprisingly good especially after the peppers fell apart in the oil.

I was going to recommend disposable gloves. oldtimer, I hate gloves, too. But when I have to, I wear Atlas Nitrile gloves. It's the only glove I can actually do carpentry in. Check it out.

Atlas%20Nitrile%20Glove.jpg

I'm not a big hot fan. This year I've got 4 tomato plants (Paul Robeson, Pineapple, Hillbilly and Cherokee Purple), peas, beans, 2 kinds of beets (Detroit and gold), basil (made a big batch of pesto yesterday), fennel, artichokes, butternut and delicato squash. Most stuff is getting a slow start this year.

Cool gloves.

We are growing some heirloom tomatoe plants that have been in Amy's family since the mid 1800's. They taste great. Our basil is doing great this year.

I also have some mystery south american peppers that I have yet to identify. They taste great.

We are growing some heirloom tomatoe plants that have been in Amy's family since the mid 1800's. They taste great.

Wow, that's so cool! Would you mind sending me some seeds this fall? My Dad used to save seeds by drying them on a paper towel, then come spring, he'd plant them with a little square of the paper towel!

We are growing some heirloom tomatoe plants that have been in Amy's family since the mid 1800's. They taste great.

Wow, that's so cool! Would you mind sending me some seeds this fall? My Dad used to save seeds by drying them on a paper towel, then come spring, he'd plant them with a little square of the paper towel!

If I can get to them before Amy does I'll salvage some seeds for you and send them to you.

Actually the next time we go to north arkansas I'll ask her mom for a selection of seeds for you.

All this talk about peppers, I had to go look and try to find what I have a few pots of on the porch. It looks like Firecracker Pequin.

I didn't know they were edible, I did find this site and it also has some pics to help me identify different peppers.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/hot_peppers.htm

Thank you so much for the link. I have been trying to find a good source for yellow and orange scotch bonnet peppers. I had these all over St.Lucia and they are my favorite. I'm going to build a green house this fall so I can keep my peppers alive and get an early start in the spring.