Replaced my KL650's with LaScala

tragusa3

My theater has undergone lots of transitions since I last posted here. The short of it is that after adding my Danley subs I found the KL650's unable to keep pace and have been looking for something that can. I have a buddy with Khorns and love his sound, so I started researching the Heritage line. Being that the subs are so capable, I didn't need the Khorn for it's low end. The LaScala was the natural choice, plus it's so much bang for the buck in the used market.

So far, they are obviously better mated to the subs. Every driver in the system is horn loaded, and they have a similar 'character' to them. The LS will belt out the sound in a more commanding way than the KL's could. I think the LS has more rough edges to it's sound, but I think I can tune the system and room a bit better to help with that.

Feel like I got a fair buy on a pair that is in pretty good shape. They are 88 models with the AL crossover. One owner, very few marks in the cabinets. The color choice wouldn't have been my first pick, but that doesn't matter much being hidden behind my screen. I do plan to find a single to use for center channel. The KL's are now my rear surrounds.

If anyone has comments that can help me learn more about them please post. I'm sure to have lots of questions. From the photos, do these look like dime a dozen speakers, or in better than typical condition? I haven't seen the used market much, but I was impressed by them for being 22 years old.

What is an easy method of cleaning dust out of the crossover network?

Here's some photos. Listening comments to come as I form opinions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They look just like my 84 LS-BLS with the ALs. Everyone says the AL crossover sounds bad, but my 84s with the ALs sound much much better than my 78s with the V drivers and Type As. Go figure.

A vacuum cleaner with a dust brush will clean them up just fine. Get a third with the M tweeter and mid, and Type AL crossover, and then get two pairs of Heresys for surrounds and you've got a dream system.

I think you done good! Those look really good; especially for their age. I've scoured all the usual sources for heritage a lot, and there are lots of beater la scala's out there, so I think you're way ahead of the curve. I can't think off hand where I saw it, either ebay or audio-gon, but I know I recently saw a single la scala for sale...not even sure where it was located, but you might want to take a quick look-see. BTW, heckuva rig you've got there!

Youthman, I get new LaScalas and the subs still steal the show....what am I gonna do?!??! In honesty, they still steal the show sonically as well. :)

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the crossover. It's got 22 years of dust on it. I currently have moved my KL650's to surround duty and they are doing a fine job there. If I sell them I'll look for some Heresys though.

I will be on the lookout for another single LS. If any of you come across one in the southeast let me know please.

I'm so pleased. Playing a "Transformers" demo last night and it is soooo powerful. It's what I've always imagined the pinnacle of home theater to sound like (for me)!

Those LS look very nice. Many of the LS which come on the market are out of bar type or P.A. situations and are beat up or painted.

I think you will really like a third one for a center. Whatever else you use for a center is going to be a poor match and induce some distortion.

On the dusting thing overall, and for anyone else interested: Swiffer dusters really work well and are easy to get into difficult to reach areas where dust -bunnies hide. Swiffers will clean out dust mastadons too . . . which I find quite a bit around the apartment.

Wm McD

Willy, I realize how important that center will be AND CAN'T WAIT ! :)

Olorin, thanks for the link. Am I reading the drawings correctly? the woofer box (triangular) has a port around the bottom?

Thanks for the swiffer tip. I'll give it a shot.

McD, I did notice it was easy to find "bar" speakers. I actually thought that's what I wanted. Seeing as how mine are hidden anyway. In the end though, for the difference of a few hundred dollars, I thought it was worth it to get something that I could have a bit more pride in. Also, if I were to ever sell, these should get my money back for me easier. For now, can't imagine needing to sell.

Yes, thanks to Trey for his input!

I've now watched a few movies and listened to some music. I'm sure this will wear off, but for now I keep letting the volume control creep up to the point that I'm left with fuzzy ears at the end of the night. They just beg for more and more! I need to get over this soon though, or I'll loose my hearing and run out of Advil. :)

No, no port; you had it right before I linked the plan drawing and "clarified" things. ;-) The triangular box is the woofer's sealed back chamber, and the slot in the motorboard is the only opening. There is a trapezoidal access hatch cut out of the bottom of the woofer chamber -- is that what you mean?

Those LS look very nice. Many of the LS which come on the market are out of bar type or P.A. situations and are beat up or painted.

I think you will really like a third one for a center. Whatever else you use for a center is going to be a poor match and induce some distortion.

On the dusting thing overall, and for anyone else interested: Swiffer dusters really work well and are easy to get into difficult to reach areas where dust -bunnies hide. Swiffers will clean out dust mastadons too . . . which I find quite a bit around the apartment.

Wm McD

Dust mastadons -- I like that. I have a 120 lb German shepherd who sheds an amount of hair equal to her own volume every three days, so I know just what you mean.

So it's a sealed box. Okay. I'm still not wrapping my mind around the slot in the motorboard??? I think I'll open mine up. Nothing like seeing it for yourself. I'd like to verify stock woofers anyway.

Hey, I too, have a German Shepherd. She only spends 2-3 hours a day in the house due to all that hair! It is much better than our Lab used to be. That hair was like velcro. At least GSD hair clumps together and doesn't stick to most things. She's in the theater about 4 hours a week, so the LaScala should be safe. :)

So it's a sealed box. Okay. I'm still not wrapping my mind around the slot in the motorboard??? I think I'll open mine up. Nothing like seeing it for yourself. I'd like to verify stock woofers anyway.

Hey, I too, have a German Shepherd. She only spends 2-3 hours a day in the house due to all that hair! It is much better than our Lab used to be. That hair was like velcro. At least GSD hair clumps together and doesn't stick to most things. She's in the theater about 4 hours a week, so the LaScala should be safe. :)

Yes, the triangular section is a sealed box. Don't worry about the slot in the motorboard, you have to remove the driver to see it and that's a lot of work to look at a 13" x 3" slot cut into a piece of plywood.

GSDs rule, and the La Scala will blow any hair that gets in there right out. :-D

I have many, many hours of listening to DVD and Bluray concerts in 5.1 with the KL650's. 2 channel was not an option with those (even with the sub involved). Last night I tried again with some familar material, and was really impressed. My wife came in the room and I asked her how it sounded. She said, "nice". Then I told her it was just the two La Scalas. She was really impressed too. Saying she couldn't tell, it sounded like it was all around the room. It's always nice to get honest, unbiased opinion.

My theater has undergone lots of transitions since I last posted here. The short of it is that after adding my Danley subs I found the KL650's unable to keep pace and have been looking for something that can. I have a buddy with Khorns and love his sound, so I started researching the Heritage line. Being that the subs are so capable, I didn't need the Khorn for it's low end. The LaScala was the natural choice, plus it's so much bang for the buck in the used market.

So far, they are obviously better mated to the subs. Every driver in the system is horn loaded, and they have a similar 'character' to them. The LS will belt out the sound in a more commanding way than the KL's could. I think the LS has more rough edges to it's sound, but I think I can tune the system and room a bit better to help with that.

Feel like I got a fair buy on a pair that is in pretty good shape. They are 88 models with the AL crossover. One owner, very few marks in the cabinets. The color choice wouldn't have been my first pick, but that doesn't matter much being hidden behind my screen. I do plan to find a single to use for center channel. The KL's are now my rear surrounds.

If anyone has comments that can help me learn more about them please post. I'm sure to have lots of questions. From the photos, do these look like dime a dozen speakers, or in better than typical condition? I haven't seen the used market much, but I was impressed by them for being 22 years old.

What is an easy method of cleaning dust out of the crossover network?

Here's some photos. Listening comments to come as I form opinions.

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Those are just Beautiful!!! Congratulations!

Now, listen to them for a while and get to know them, intimately. I used Roberta Flacks "First Take" album/CD. I played it often and got to know every cymbal hit, every piano sustain, every inhale by Roberta or exhale. I got to know the album intimately.

I then was reading how people upgrade/replaced the original crossovers and how it made a difference. BUT, my La Scalas sound FANTASTIC and I could not imagine them sounding any better. No Way!

Well, the wondering got to me and I picked up the phone and called Bob Crites. When I asked him if he really thought I would hear a difference, he just laughed and said yes, you will hear a difference. So I ordered his Type AA/A convertible crossovers for my 1979 La Scalas. They arrived with in a week and I could not wait to install them. With in 15 minutes from there arrival, I had them installed and started playing music. I listened to Roberta's "First Take" and I wasn't sure I heard much of a difference. Huh! So I started listening to all kinds of music over the next few days and I thought I was hearing a difference. So, that evening I put in Roberta's "First Take" again. This time I turned out all the lights and hit the recline button on my recliner and just sat back and listened.

WOW! It was like I was hearing it for the first time, as if someone removed a blanket from the front of my speakers. There were times in the recording where it got a little distorted and I was used to it and accepted it as a 1969 recording and that's the way it was. Well, those moments of distortion were now gone. Everything was so much clearer and cleaner sounding. The highs were so clear and the bass.........WOW, it was now full and clear and clean. I could now hear the difference and it was not small, it was amazing!

These are my experiences and I am not saying everyone will have the same experience. My La Scalas went from sounding great to AMAZING! Bring a tear to my eye amazing. It is something to consider and with the age of the speakers/capacitors, I can honestly say, I think it will make a difference. It is not something you need to rush to do. Take your time and get used to the La Scala sound.

If you decide to update them, here is the link to Bob's site ------------> CLICK HERE

There are other upgrades/modifications you can make so check around. I just wanted to share my experience with you and again, congratulate you on your beautiful speakers!

Dennie

• 1 month later...

Dennie, I can't believe I forgot to respond to your post. Thanks for all the info!

I wanted to update that I just picked up a third to use as a center in the trio! It's a '75 with AA's. All original except the finish. It's in pretty good shape. Had a 3 hour drive and a speeding ticket in order to get it, but I'm done hunting down LaScala's ! LOL

I haven't gotten to listen any yet, but will post impressions over the weekend. The previous owner was using it's mate as a center between Khorns, and it was phenomenal! If I end up with the same it will be DA BOMB!

Here's a few photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image