Emotiva Ultra 12 Review -With Some Pics- UPDATE 1/18/2011 (Link To Audioholics Review)

Ironsave

Well.... It is here.

I unpacked and installed my new sub.

I previously had a KSW10. There is no comparison. I love Klipsch, but that KSW10 is OWNED by this thing.

I have this thing at about 40%; where it blends nicely with the beloveds. (Heresies).

Speakers set to small; crossing at 60hz. So far; just music listening; but AMAZING.

It is FAST. It keeps up with Cradle Of Filth's fast tempo'ed blast beats.My KSW would just muffle out and burp at the end of the blast beats.

I have not pushed it yet; just want to take it easy for awhile. It is far superior to anything I have ever heard.

I do not have measurement equipment (yet).

My room is probably 10X18X9 feet high.

I will be watching a movie this evening to test HT.

Anyway..... This sub is an excellent value; and hits hard and fast.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Audioholics Review HERE:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/ultra-12

post-14727-1381960031026_thumb.jpg

post-14727-13819618775792_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much anything "owns" a KSW10 in extension and output around 30hz. The KSW10 is a..ahem...not too serious bass module(calling it a subwoofer is stretching things beyond stretched!).

Good to know you like your new sub. The Emotiva subs like quite descent lower cost subs.

I know this does not compare to a Tuba sub or anything that is up around $800 or more......

That being said; it's footprint is 1 inch X 2 inches bigger than the KSW 10.

It is sealed; And the bass is TIGHT. I suspect this is rolling off around 20-22hz; At times I do not hear the tones..... I FEEL them.... (I never had a sub that could go that low before).

Just watched ZOMBIELAND. Kind of a cult shoot em up type movie; Woody Harrelson; yadda yadda. The sub blends. I cannot tellwhere the bass is coming from.

Cannot wait to do Transformers....

I have more than enough volume in this case as I reside on the top floor of a 2 flat. The neighbors must resent the speakers; but I am considerate for the most part. I will not push the sub for a few days; wanna take it slow..... (plus the neighbors may not be home Thursday... WOO HOO!)

Cliff; I am sorry if you missed out; I assumed you went for the Velo in WI that was for sale or I would have warned you the sale was over the 18th.

Perhaps if you call them and order; you could still get the sale price?

post-14727-1381960031869_thumb.jpg

post-14727-13819618786066_thumb.jpg

I sent them an email and I am waiting for a response. I am happy for you and glad you are enjoying your new sub. The Velo in WI is still available and depending on what Emotiva sales tells me, will then make a choice. Emotiva now has the Ultra 10 on sale great price but not a good enough sub for my needs.

Enjoy,

Cliff

It is sealed; And the bass is TIGHT. I suspect this is rolling off around 20-22hz; At times I do not hear the tones..... I FEEL them.... (I never had a sub that could go that low before).

Power Output: 300 watts RMS, 500 watts peak

Typical In-Room
Frequency Response:
22Hz-200Hz

Typical In-Room SPL:
110-113db

**Above specs copied from Emotiva's site. Looks like they are counting on room gain for their 22Hz low end number. Interesting that they don't post if its -3dB or not though. In any event, it looks to be a good performer for the money. Having a capable sub really makes music and movies more enjoyable.

I pushed the sub harder today. My preferred setting is at sbout 40-50% on the volume depending on what audio type is being played..

It hits pretty hard, but you do not hear it like I am used to (sealed vs. ported, I believe). I feel it. I was rockin some Black Sabbath; Dehumanizer; Cross Purposes. Geezer's bass you can hear and feel and it is pretty damn accurate.... It keeps up nicely and when played loud does not bottom out. ( I was up to about 80-85% of max volume on the Onkyo)......

I hope this helps any potential buyers to make their decision.

Does your amp have more the one set of outputs? If it does you use rca audio cables from the preamp out into the sub. If you only have one set of outputs then get two y splitters (one male into two females) and y it into the sub and amp. Should work because I have seen it on a sub owners manuel somewhere,

Cliff

Does your amp have more the one set of outputs? If it does you use rca audio cables from the preamp out into the sub. If you only have one set of outputs then get two y splitters (one male into two females) and y it into the sub and amp. Should work because I have seen it on a sub owners manuel somewhere,

Cliff

I hadn't seen that done before, but it makes sense. Thanks, I'll look into that (the Y at the preamp outputs).

hey ironsave, glad to hear that you liked the Ultra sub.

i put my Ultra 10 to work again last night on the Book of Eli. on the car explosion scene, i was REALLY IMPRESSED, it feels the entire room and i feel my windows was gonna crack to pieces.

the only regret i have is not coughing up another $100 for the Ultra 12, but times are tough.