Bass frequency response of various sized Klipsch speakers

wboffthelake

I wish Arky, and JC would cry if he heard that Surprise I have met him a few times and got to know him a tiny bit, he's has more resting brain cells than I use at full speed ! Tongue Tied

Yeah, me too. I ain't that smart. He was a bass nut that first year we were at Hope. Man likes his Funk.

• Moderators

Man likes his Funk.

When he first told me that I was very surprised, I kept thinking funk and his break dancing, then I would look at him and it just didn't fit, but it does. And it's not just general mainstream funk it's the stuff you have never heard of.

I use a sub with Klipschorns, but found it best to bring it in at 40 Hzand leave the K-horns on "Large" ... that gives me the K-horn impact, plus some very low bass fill-in. Trial and error positioning and phasing was necessary. It took days, but it was worth it. Any higher crossover, or putting the Khorns on "Small" resulted in mud or loss.

I agree that your speakers alone should be fine with "chestiness" and with kick drum, classical bass drum, tympani, etc. But a good sub will give you a better feel for organ, some electronic music, the lowest note written for piano (27.5 HZ), etc. Resist the temptation to turn the sub up too far. You will hear room rumble on some CDs, so turn the sub down temporarily.

If the bass is not good in one listening position, move around.

I use a sub with Klipschorns, but found it best to bring it in at 40 Hzand leave the K-horns on "Large" ... that gives me the K-horn impact, plus some very low bass fill-in. ...

How are you able to run your speakers as Large and still have a crossover? Theoretically, Large= Full Range and nothing is sent to the sub.

I use a sub with Klipschorns, but found it best to bring it in at 40 Hzand leave the K-horns on "Large" ... that gives me the K-horn impact, plus some very low bass fill-in. ...

How are you able to run your speakers as Large and still have a crossover? Theoretically, Large= Full Range and nothing is sent to the sub.

My receiver allows me to do this as well.

You can set to "Large" and still cross the LFE signal to the sub.

(Or.... set to "Small" with a crossover).

If I had Khorns, I would probably set them to large as well........

Most receivers have a subwoofer setting for that when the front speakers are set to large. The options are "No sub", "LFE" and "LFE+R/L".

My receiver allows me to do this as well.

You can set to "Large" and still cross the LFE signal to the sub.

(Or.... set to "Small" with a crossover).

If I had Khorns, I would probably set them to large as well........

Fwiw, given that this is the 2-channel Forum there is no LFE to be directed to the sub. I gather what you are describing is "double bass" so the full range signal is being sent to the speakers, as well as the crossovered part of that is also being sent to the sub. [^o)] Got it. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_effect

The LFE channel delivers bass-only information to supplement the overall bass content. The LFE channel content is not the same as the content of a subwoofer-out jack. The LFE channel is used to carry additional bass information in the Dolby Digital program, while the subwoofer output is bass information from up to all six channels that has been selected to be reproduced by a subwoofer, either by a simple crossover network, which filters out all but the low frequencies, or with a more sophisticated digital bass management system.

The bass management in surround sound replay systems is that bass content in the incoming signal, irrespective of channel, should be directed only to loudspeakers capable of handling it. The bass management system may direct bass to one or more subwoofers (if present) from any channel, not simply the content of the LFE. As such, it is incorrect to call the LFE the "subwoofer channel".

My AV tuner /preamp gives me that option, as do several Home Theater preamps. In the case of mine, it is called "Enhanced Bass" with an Off/On option which is handy for direct comparisons. In the ON position, it sends full range to the Khorns and the signal below 40 Hz to the sub, and believe me the sub is definately "getting some," as one can detect by ear and by eye. Whether it enhances or harms to leave the Front Right and Left (in my case, the Khorns) on Large, while cutting in the sub at 40 Hz depends on many things. The manufacturer does warn about the multipath being too bad, so I didn't expect this configuration to ge very good. But after careful placement of the sub, playing with the phase switch, location of the listening chairs, etc., I found a set of conditions that makes it sound great! It would be a pity to cut off a Khorn at THX's 80 Hz (for instance), because the Khorn is so clean -- much cleaner than any sub I've heard -- between 40 and 80, and the clean impact triggers Berlyne's cortical arousal boost. I tried all other configurations available to me.

• 3 weeks later...

P.S. Please post your intial impressions of the RF-83's after you have them, and then again in a couple of weeks or so after you've had time to settle in with them.

It's been awhile and I will post more soon. I've been sick for almost two weeks and, while I am getting over it, my ears are plugged up, and I can hear almost nothing out of my left ear. Also I had to exchange my RC-64 since it had a flaw in the finish, and I have to build a special shelf for it above my TV since it's so heavy.

P.S. Please post your intial impressions of the RF-83's after you have them, and then again in a couple of weeks or so after you've had time to settle in with them.

It's been awhile and I will post more soon. I've been sick for almost two weeks and, while I am getting over it, my ears are plugged up, and I can hear almost nothing out of my left ear. Also I had to exchange my RC-64 since it had a flaw in the finish, and I have to build a special shelf for it above my TV since it's so heavy.

Hey WB, Glad to hear you're on the mend. It sucks being sick!!

A little off topic: I use ear plugs at work and tend to get ear infections and plugged ears on occasion. 1 drop of peppermint oil and 20 drops of olive oil mixed together (because peppermint oil would burn the heck out of your ear if you didn't dilute it), then put 3 or 4 drops in your ear and things will be better soon. Peppermint oil is a natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. As always, consult a doctor. But this has worked for me many of times.

Okay, end of off topic-ness.

Dennie