If you Had a $600-700 budget how would you start off your Home Theater?

ZASKARK

I am new to the audio universe and wish to start a simple home theater setup consisting of only a reciever, sub, and floorstanding speakers( I will buy surround and center speakers later on) and have a budget of only $600-700 and am debating on what components to buy. If anyone has any suggestions please post. thanks for your response

What I think:
Klipsch RF-10 $130 each on Amazon.com

Pioneer VSX-520-K Reciever $190

Klipsch KSW-10 Subwoofer $150

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used KS 10.5 towers arround $200 a pair eBay

Used RC-7 under $300 eBay

Used Pioneer 5.1 Receiver with Pre Amp outs for future upgrades.

Next save up for a Blue Ray player

Then save up for a better sub and second pair of KS 10.5 Towers for surrounds

Roger

I want an RC 7....they look nice, and Im sure sound great too.

Since you're posting here, I would assume you want Klipsch. Set your money aside and hold onto it. If you can, keep adding a little bit to it while you scour the internet for deals. It's still a buyer's market out there and I continue to see package deals on craigslist for about the amount you have budgeted. The key is to not be impulsive and be willing to wait for the right deal. If you have some things of value that you are no longer interested in or attached to, you might consider trading them. You'd be surprised what you can get for them .. I started with an out of date IBM laptop and over the course of a year ended up with a quite nice Denon receiver, all for very little out of my pocket.

PS3 is the way to go for bluray, even if you don't game.

Our new friend Zaskark, mentioned in another thread (2 Channel) that he is 17 years old and is building his first HT and dosen't have a clue.

I told him he was in the right place!

If it were me and with what I know now, I would be scouring Craigslist (because it is local and no shipping involved) for the best 2 speakers I can find. He can always come here and ask our opinion on them.

I would spend up to the limit on two front speakers and even a cheap used Receiver will work for now and then save, save, save for a Sub. A good sub, which would probably be in the $300-500 range used. Then add surrounds and then a center channel last.

Dennie

Since you're posting here, I would assume you want Klipsch. Set your money aside and hold onto it. If you can, keep adding a little bit to it while you scour the internet for deals. It's still a buyer's market out there and I continue to see package deals on craigslist for about the amount you have budgeted. The key is to not be impulsive and be willing to wait for the right deal. If you have some things of value that you are no longer interested in or attached to, you might consider trading them. You'd be surprised what you can get for them .. I started with an out of date IBM laptop and over the course of a year ended up with a quite nice Denon receiver, all for very little out of my pocket.

PS3 is the way to go for bluray, even if you don't game.

Well said! Don't buy on impulse. I am assuming you want Klipsch?....be patient. Your tastes will change and so will your budget. These guys are right, you can find great deals all over. Klipsch stuff is great quality, that means it stands up against time. Even if you buy something used/older does not make it less quality. ANd besides old sh** is cool.

What would i buy with $600-800? Well i would buy two of the best floorstanding speakers i could find for $600 and then find a used older receiver with the change ($80-200). Only do this if you actually plan to eventually expand...otherwise some quintets (or rsx) a sub 12 and a tx-sr605 would get you by but is like comparing a 37'' tv to a 52'' tv.

Heresys are a fantastic start if you don't mind paying $350 a pair and being patient to do it, but I think you just can't beat the KG series for bang/buck. Start with a pair of KG-x.2s and a used Harman Kardon receiver and a $35 Toshiba DVD player, then later add a KG-2.2V center and a pair of KG-1.2 bookshelves for surrounds. Consider DIY for the sub or one of the Dayton kits from Parts Express and you can easily be on target and well under budget.

I am not trying to expect audiophile quality or something like that I am just trying to get sound that is exceptionaly better than a htib, I used to have a Bose 321 GS system to me it dident sound that great for $999 and I sold it and decided to start a new home theater. Will the RF-10 be a significant jump from the bose system or other htib's?

I am not trying to expect audiophile quality or something like that I am just trying to get sound that is exceptionaly better than a htib

Trying to tell the typical 17 year-old to be patient doesn't usually work. Are you a typical 17 year-old?

If you are patient, you can get really good sound for your budget by buying used, as has been suggested by many members. When I was 17, I drove a round trip of 5 hours to fetch a pair of La Scala that a cousin was selling. I still have them 30 years later and I'll bet he wishes he had them instead!

• Moderators

Then add surrounds and then a center channel last.

If you are going for HT, adding a good center channel last would not be my choice. I would buy the fronts, then center, then sub, then surrounds. What good is it if you have good bass and awesome surround if you can't hear the dialog from the center channel or if they are being matrixed in with your front two speakers. Just my opinion

VVVVVVVRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM (the sound of information entering one ear and travelling directly out the the other)

+1!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest to Za Skark:

Re read your other thread in 2 channel and this thread.

Being patient is a skill most 17 year olds lack........ Paying attention is another......

Then add surrounds and then a center channel last.

If you are going for HT, adding a good center channel last would not be my choice. I would buy the fronts, then center, then sub, then surrounds. What good is it if you have good bass and awesome surround if you can't hear the dialog from the center channel or if they are being matrixed in with your front two speakers. Just my opinion

It would be mine, if my budget was tight. It is called a phantom center. Just set the AVR to no center and it will send the signal to the mains.

Dennie

• Moderators

It is called a phantom center.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I said matrixed with the mains. Again, this is a personal preference. I would rather have a nice dedicated center channel and no surrounds than surrounds and a phantom center. [:D]

It is called a phantom center.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I said matrixed with the mains. Again, this is a personal preference. I would rather have a nice dedicated center channel and no surrounds than surrounds and a phantom center. Big Smile

As you said, it is a personal preference. But, I would rather have surrounds than a center channel. This is HT after all. Properly calibrated I bet you could not tell me if my center channel was on or not. But I bet you would know if the surrounds were on or not!

He has a very tight budget. You can fake center channel, but you can't fake surrounds.

Dennie