Need some advice on heritage setup vs. rf setup vs. def tech setup

oldtimer1954

Hey guys got a few questions for you. I am considering purchasing a heritage setup with 3 la lasca's accross the front and possibly heresys in the rear (all lused with upgrades). tts been nearly 20 years since Iv heard a heritage setup and I was younger at the time. Iv had the chance to audition 3 of my buddies def tech setups and liked the def tech bp2000tl's the best. I went to my local klipsch dealer and listened to an rf83/64 setup powered by a marantz receiver and was very unimpressed for what it did for ht, although they were great for music but I dont listen to music in house. (have an ipod and a nice setup in my car for that) I do have found memories of what the how well that heritage setup sounded, it was when ac3 was first coming out and the system I listened to was powered by mac equipment.

Now I am curious to see how you guys feel a trio of la scala's accross the front compared to the rf83/64? I am building a dedicated theater room but it wont be done untill probably next year. For now my room is 12.5 x 24. These will most likly be powered by either an integra 40.1 or denon 3310 both with emo amps.

I am most curious to see if any of you have compared a la scala trio to the definitive technology bp2000's or 7000's with clr3000 center. To those of you who have had a chance to listen to both the def techs and the la scala's, what were your thoughts? How do they compare/differ? What I like in a ht are crisp highs, detailed mids, being able to run my front trio at a crossover of 60 hz, I like the overall envolipment in sound that I got with the def techs, good soundstage, ect.. I do like to listen to my movies loud, but I cant always do that b/c of neighbors so low to mid level listening must sound good as well.

So how would a la scala trio differ from an rf83/64 trio? Also can any of you current/former definitive technology guys give me your subjective comparision between the dt's and la scala's? Im stuck here with the fond memories I had listening to the heritage setup back in the early 90's and how much I really like the def tech setup. Advice? Comparisions?

Oldtimer1954,

Welcome, welcome , welcome.

First, if you go with the Denon or Integra/Emotiva combo, you will have plenty of horsepower to drive either system.

While I have heard the LaScala's before, I have not heard a 3-LaScala home theater. Some on the forum do have that setup and are very pleased. It is hard to beat a HT setup with all three front speakers being the same. Perfect transition from side to side. I say go for it.

On the other hand, the RF-83/RC-64 combo is incredible.

This is a Klipsch forum, so stay with Klipsch. LOL.[:D]

Bill

I've owned several Definitive Technology speakers. If you want to compare how they sound versus Klipsch, find a pair of Klipsch and throw a heavy blanket over them. Now they'll be evenly matched.

Now, the ones I owned weren't their top end speakers and they were speakers from the mid-90s but when I moved over to Klipsch it was an incredible leap in every aspect of sound reproduction.

• Moderators

Welcome

I have not heard the deaf tek speakers, I have heard the Rf's and the LaScalas in HT and 2 CH.

3 LaScalas would win easily IMO.

Indyklipschfan here on this forum has a Ht with all LaScalas, I have not heard a better Ht period.

You will need a good sub with any speaker when your talking about Ht.

I like Heritage and PRO myself but to me it was not even close, I can guarantee one thing if you get the LaScalsas you will never wonder if the others were better.

Like any opinion it's just another opinion !

Well...

Answering Heritage Vs Reference is a can of worms...... [:D]

I've not heard much of the Reference and the new stuff that ships September might be better than the previous reference version.

I think Heritage being 3 way wins hands down.... Others feel the opposite.

It is your ears, so no harm in listening to all you can before buying.

I am sure there may be a member nearby willing to let you listen to his/her setup.

Good Luck.

Heritage VS RF are two totally different sounds.

RF will take up less space.

Price wise to me, it would be close to the same price wise, with LS being slightly more expensive (Assuming Used).

One last consideration.....................do you have to check with a Siginificant Other on style, color space?...............

Good Luck.

Can you please elaborate on the differences between the sounds of say the rf83/64 combo and a la scala trio? Like I said originally, the rf83's didnt offer that punch, the envolipment, soundstage, and wow factor that I have been desperatly searching for. Maybe it was the equipment that the dealer had them hooked up to, that being an 1800$ marantz receiver. Iv never liked marantz stuff...too laid back. I like my system to be somewhat bright and in your face. I can actually get a pair of la scala's for less than I can get the rf83's used.

And no I dont have to check with my fiance, currently living in a rent house while I finish up the last little bit of grad school. After that I plan on building a nice sized house with a dedicated theater room and at which point Ill have a screen to go infront of the speakers. But even if I didnt she still would not care, as she appreciates a good movie expirence despite what the speakers actually look like.

Thanks so much guys, its nice to have a place to discuss things with the folks who love klipsch.

I have La Scala's and a Reference 7 HT setup in the same room, I have not heard the RF 83/64 combo but I can tell you there is a big difference between the Heritage sound and the reference sound.

The heritage is a smoother more mellow sound, the Reference line is a little more edgy, faster and tighter IMO.

I can't decide which I like more, I get best of both worlds, I love the 7's for HT setup and some music, but really enjoy the sound of the La Scala's with jazz, big band, blue grass, blues and some classic rock.

I had KG 5.2s (I know; NOT Reference, but specced somewhat similar. I have heard reference in the showroom)).

I had to choose between the Heresies and KG 5.2s.......

The 5.2s OWNED in the bass category. But in midrange clarity and overall balance, they could not keep up.

Again... I know these are different models, but somewhat similar. (Keep in mind I confirmed this to some degree listening in the showroom to Reference).

My point is.... The Heresies' sound called to me from day one (10 seconds and I KNEW).

I just do not see the 2 lines of speakers being on the same level.

Remember.... This is MY OPINION.... Others will feel different.

But you owe it to yourself to HEAR BOTH.... Then decide.