Cornwall Interior Paper Sound padding ??

annt

I've got a pair of 1980 Cornwall I's that I am restoring but the original paper padding inside both cabinets is torn up to the point that it needs replacing. I'm on a budget so I can't afford to buy similar paper (which is expensive) or even acoustic foam. I do however have about 10' x 10' feet of very nice long thread and fluffy carpet left over from a renovation. My question is:

If I replaced the torn/damaged paper with the carpet will it be a suitable replacement and minimize any acoustic changes?

Will there be any difference at all? I plan on cutting the pieces to exactly match the dimensions of the original paper padding.

Thanks!

I don't reccomend using the carpet, go to wall mart and get a $15 roll of quilt batting called "polyfil". Do not line the front baffle only the top back and sides. One roll should be enough to double line the Cornwalls.

Dave

Some info from DIY Speaker:

Should you stuff the box with polyfill? Polyfill is basically fiberglass, like the pink insulation stuff. There are variations of polyfill, like "Polyfil", that can be found in arts & crafts stores. "Polyfil" will work almost as well as fiberglass, but without the nasty problems you run into when working with the pink stuff. By using polyfill in a sub box, it will artificially make the box act larger than it is, which will improve the deep bass response. Note that actually making the box larger than the driver is designed for will make it sound like crap. The speaker manufacturer or distributor will be able to tell you how much you should use. Otherwise, the only way to find out is by trying it yourself. Add about 1/2 pound at a time, until you like what you hear. When using polyfill, try to spread it out evenly, and try to make sure it doesn't touch the driver.

If you are using a ported box, then only line the sides of the box with a 1" thick sheet of polyfill. You can buy polyfill that comes in sheets or loose.

I think this stuff might be pretty close to what Klipsch used. It is 5 layer indented padding. It comes on a 250 ft roll. I don't think this is as thick as the original stuff, but you could use layers of it to get the thickness.

Bob

post-9312-13819616802314_thumb.jpg

post-9312-13819620810686_thumb.jpg

The Paper padding inside Cornwalls is an ancient Kimberly-Clark product called "Kimsul". It was used as an inulation before the introduction of fiberglass. The stiching is integral to the product. I gutted My 1948 Cape Cod & removed a ton of it. Contact Kimberly-Clark to see if they can steer you to a source for purchase. Here's a URL to a clip from WWII on its manufacture. It's the 13th clip down. Good luck. http://www.dvarchive.com/stock-video-footage/1/world%20war%20two

I don't reccomend using the carpet, go to wall mart and get a $15 roll of quilt batting called "polyfil". Do not line the front baffle only the top back and sides. One roll should be enough to double line the Cornwalls.

Dave

Some info from DIY Speaker:

Should you stuff the box with polyfill? Polyfill is basically fiberglass, like the pink insulation stuff. There are variations of polyfill, like "Polyfil", that can be found in arts & crafts stores. "Polyfil" will work almost as well as fiberglass, but without the nasty problems you run into when working with the pink stuff. By using polyfill in a sub box, it will artificially make the box act larger than it is, which will improve the deep bass response. Note that actually making the box larger than the driver is designed for will make it sound like crap. The speaker manufacturer or distributor will be able to tell you how much you should use. Otherwise, the only way to find out is by trying it yourself. Add about 1/2 pound at a time, until you like what you hear. When using polyfill, try to spread it out evenly, and try to make sure it doesn't touch the driver.

If you are using a ported box, then only line the sides of the box with a 1" thick sheet of polyfill. You can buy polyfill that comes in sheets or loose.

Like it mentions, the polyfil fakes the driver into thinking it's a larger cabinet. It's a resistance kind of thing...

But I think the paper material lined on both the sides and back panel of a Cornwall, is to dampen the reflections from the side and back panel from the waves of the woofer. Which makes the bass kind of ringy from my experiences.

Chorus and Forte use like a one inch thick foam on the side and back panels, if I recall.

I can't recall the formula for polyfil, but I remember reading something somewhere on the 'net... I have roughly 2 pounds in my homemade cabinets. But I did it by ear, adding polyfil until the bass sounded "right".

post-6643-1381961683939_thumb.jpg

post-6643-13819620837798_thumb.jpg

My take is that no matter what you use........if it is any different than the original material it will change the sound or affect the woofer loading. That is why I have left the original ripped up stuff inside to date. Most is still there it is just all roughed up. Thanks for the suggestions. I may get some samples or look into the original manufacturer's offerings or recommendations. My guess is that stuff is no more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my new U-line catalogue today!! [Y]. Page 414 shows the kraft paper in sheets which you would stack to the same thickness as the original, and page 416 shows pre-stacked sheets on a roll. Other than the string... which I really believe was applied at the factory to keep the material from sagging over time, this appears to be pretty much the original type used in Cornwalls.