What's For Supper

BLSamuel

I'll be quasi-smoking (no inhaling) a rack-o-ribs. My challenge is to get the temp in the Weber low enough. It's way too hot today to cook inside. So, it'll be on the grill, with my dripping sweat moisturizing the meat (as usual). If anyone in my family reads this (they so love everything about my internet personae) , I doubt they'll eat any. Maybe I'll freeze some for the upcoming hug-fest.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurricane Comfort Food....

Whta I need to do it....

Muenster, Provolone and Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Breasts

6 thin slices Prosciutto ham (you can substitute bacon....) 1 cup dry bread crumbs 1 tablespoon dried parsley 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon paprika 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 large egg3 slices Muenster cheese 3 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 3 slices provolone cheese

How....

• Preheat the oven to 375; get out the cast iron skillet, slather up with EVO, and get it medium hot...
  • Stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, Cajun seasoning, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and black pepper in a shallow dish.
  • Whisk the egg in a separate bowl, and set aside.
  • Cut a pocket into the side of the chicken breasts using a thin bladed knife. Stuff each breast with a slice of Muenster cheese, and slice of the Prosciutto
  • Secure the chicken breast pockets with a toothpick or skewer, then dip into the egg mixture, letting excess egg drip off before pressing into the bread crumb mixture.
  • Check the skillet; add the chicken breasts, and cook until golden brown on one side (about 2 minutes), then turn the breasts over, and place the skillet into the preheated oven. Bake until the chicken is 165 degrees; takes about 25 minutes.
  • When the chicken has cooked, top each piece with a slice of provolone cheese. Return to the oven, and cook until the cheese has melted, about 1 minute more.

Goes good with some pasta and maybe some marinara sauce or just some fire-roasted diced tomatoes.

[H]

Mmm, sounds good!

Last night I made pasta sauce on the Weber, as it was way too hot to do it stovetop. To my surprise, it turned out astoundingly good. I started with browning oxtails (always a good start!) in EVOO. Next, remove the oxtails, cook onions and garlic in the juices (plus a splash of red wine to deglaze). Next, the rough-diced fresh tomatoes from the garden (mostly Purple Cherokee and Paul Robeson), with herbs 'n' stuff (salt, pepper, fennel seed, cumin, red pepper flakes, rosemary, bay leaves, cayenne), and a dose of homemade pesto. Get that good and hot, add the oxtails back in. I decided to saute mushrooms, added them, then made a roux out of butter and cornstarch to thicken the sauce a bit, then let it all simmer another hour or so. Turned out rich and delicious, and I was surprised that there was none of the usual over-cooked sauce at the bottom of the pot. I think the grill may produce a more even cooking environment.

BTW, the pot was a Le Creuset dutch oven, lined on the outside with foil.

Speaking of fennel.... made a fennel (as in the weird looking root with the stalks) salad with feta, olives, fresh maters, thin sliced and diced prosciutto, mixed on a bed of lettuce and some EVO last night.

At first when you taste the fennel it comes across as licorice flavored celery.... but when mixed with the other stuff, it's really good and not so strong as to make it overpowering.

SWMBO liked it so much she let me go get another root ball.....

[H]

Red beans and rice with sausage.

i'm going to come knockin at your door someday at dinnertime--that looks delicious! But was it necessary to post a picture? all i have to look at is an empty pizza box, del taco burritos wrappers, and a box from last night's KFC. ahhhh, the life of a bachelor sounds nice until i see your pictures...now a home cooked meal looks very good. have an extra bowl or two for me--don't let a drop go to waste. Steve

• Moderators

all i have to look at is an empty pizza box, del taco burritos wrappers, and a box from last night's KFC

Pizza, taco's, fried chicken, I would switch beans for that any day.

If your ever passing through or even just close, let us know. [Y]

• Moderators

Ok, I've been watching this thread in silence long enough. You guys are just rotten. I've been on a strict diet since Labor Day (when I pledged to lose 30 lbs by Memorial Day), and have denied myself every single food that I love since. Everything looks so delicious!

But I am happy to report that I've lost over half of my goal already (16 lbs), and feel a million times better. Besides, I've heard it said that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. I think there's some logic to that.

So keep posting your pics so I can live vicariously through you! Yum.

We are becoming very sophisticated in the threads that could be "locked" for tempting the "dietary plan challenged"!!! [6]

Here's a good one that you will like!!! (and I mean tastes good as well as being all healthy, etc.)

• 1 x cucumber, remove seed, then finely chopped
  • 1 x 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
  • 1 x 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1 x 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 x teaspoon of dry dill weed, chopped
  • 1 x tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 1 x teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 1 x teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 x tablespoons of EVO

Mix ingredients and chill for about 1/2 hour. Prepare on a plate with fresh bed of finely shredded lettuce, layer some thin sliced tomatoes, slice up about a 1/2 cup of black olives, layered up to two layers....

Put the "dressing" on and serve with some garlic bread made with EVO instead of butter.

You will now forgive us for the recipes!!!!

[H]

• Moderators

Here's a good one that you will like!!! (and I mean tastes good as well as being all healthy, etc.)

• 1 x cucumber, remove seed, then finely chopped
  • 1 x 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
  • 1 x 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1 x 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 x teaspoon of dry dill weed, chopped
  • 1 x tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 1 x teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 1 x teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 x tablespoons of EVO

NO way, I see no fat, hardly any salt and nothing bad for me, I could possibly be allergic to that. [:|]

• Moderators

I've heard it said that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

I would have to guess the answer is yes it's true, but that's just a guess and not from experience.

Congratulations or doing something so hard..............you know we expect pic's when it's over, or anytime ! [:o]

..............you know we expect pic's when it's over, or anytime ! Surprise

There goes dtel the thread killer at it again...asking for pictures? what are you going to do when your wife decides to check the forum? come to think of it, i haven't seen her post in quite some time--i hope all is well with her.

And Amy, as a bachelor, I eat out every meal, every day...and i've actually lost 25 pounds. First time in a long while i'm under 200 pounds, and last week i bought a pair of levi's--size 34--haven't wore that size since i was in my 20s. the secret--i just tell myself that the things i like are fat-free. i can't explain it; but, it's like magic, once you say those words, the food becomes healthy. i guess it helps that i hate chocolate and very rarely eat any sweets. My son-in-Law is a former pro-athlete and now is a personal trainer at an exclusive, private facility--he tells his clients to give themselves one day a week to enjoy the foods that they love.

• Moderators

..............you know we expect pic's when it's over, or anytime ! Surprise

There goes dtel the thread killer at it again...asking for pictures? what are you going to do when your wife decides to check the forum? come to think of it, i haven't seen her post in quite some time--i hope all is well with her.

I forgot about the thread killer thing [:$] It does not matter if she reads this or not, she keeps me in sight, that way she can trust me. [:P] Also after 32 years I think she know she has nothing to worry about, she's fine just busy sewing and watching me. [:D]

And Amy, as a bachelor, I eat out every meal, every day...and i've actually lost 25 pounds. First time in a long while i'm under 200 pounds, and last week i bought a pair of levi's--size 34--haven't wore that size since i was in my 20s. the secret--i just tell myself that the things i like are fat-free. i can't explain it; but, it's like magic, once you say those words, the food becomes healthy. i guess it helps that i hate chocolate and very rarely eat any sweets.

I don't really care for sweets either, my problem is real food, or to much of it.

My son-in-Law is a former pro-athlete and now is a personal trainer at an exclusive, private facility--he tells his clients to give themselves one day a week to enjoy the foods that they love.