Pandora

jon k

This is kinda random but i'm just sitting on my couch and was listening to some Moby, and decided to see what pandora had to offer on Moby radio... its awesome grate tracks that really let my system come to life, and truly pisses off my dad, so you know its good. (he's seemingly allergic to and audible sound)

For you Pandora fanatics out there, any channels that you enjoy??

• Moderators

I use Pandora on my phone and plug it into our sound system at church sometimes for my youth group. I listen to it often at work and occassionally play it through the PS3 in the theater room. Pandora is a great system and the best part is it's FREE.

Most of the time, I choose the QuickMix to shuffle through the stations but my current favorites are Sidewalk Prophets, Group 1 Crew, David Crowder Band and a few others.

Listening to it right now. I have not tried any "caned" stations but I have several setup for classical, rock, country, and Texas rock (ZZ Top).

It is playing on my Motorola Droid (first gen) and it sounds great. I love that it is free and I have seriously thought about porting my Droid into my 2 ch pre-amp just to see how good the quality is or isn't.

• Moderators

Most of the time, I choose the QuickMix to shuffle through the stations

That's what I do, just listed some name I like and switch between those.

I have never tried any other way, how else can you use Pandora ? I read there are other bennefits for sigining up $36 a year, has anyone done it, I think they say you get a higher quality siginal for one thing ?

On most songs the quality seems to be really good, guess it just depends on the recording ? One name I put in there was Bob Marley, on most reggae songs the bass is really strong for some reason, ya mon.

• Moderators

I have seriously thought about porting my Droid into my 2 ch pre-amp just to see how good the quality is or isn't.

From everything I tried the quality is GOOD on 90% of the songs, I was really surprised and considering signing up if there is any real benefit besides the 40 hour thing. I also leave it on as back round music and could go over the 40 hours some months.

• Moderators

I have never tried any other way, how else can you use Pandora ?

Just for kicks, last night I typed in 1990's (or something like that) but it pulled up a band with that name instead of a time period. Not sure how else you can use it other than searching for a song or artist and it creating a station that has similar artists.

• Moderators

I tried that also, I also tried Motown and it gave me something weird. I am happy with the way I am using it now, you can easily change stations to others.

I need to read more I found this, but it's about all I could find.

http://blog.pandora.com/faq/

Upgrading your Pandora account to Pandora One gives you the following benefits:

• No external advertising of any kind, on any computer or device you use to listen to your upgraded Pandora One account.

• High Quality 192Kbps audio, one of the highest-quality streaming music bitrates available, for each and every song in our collection, when you listen to:

• Pandora on your computer via our website and the Mini Tuner, or via the
    • Pandora One Desktop Application.

Pandora mobile apps and in-home devices currently do not support High Quality 192Kbps streams, although we're very interested in expanding High Quality audio options at some point in the future.
  • The Pandora One Desktop Application, a sleek stand-alone listening option which doesn't require a web browser and gives you all of Pandora's best features in a small form factor. Note that installing The Pandora One Desktop Application is not necessary to enjoy Pandora One. Every Pandora One feature is also available on our website at www.pandora.com.

• The Pandora Mini Tuner, another listening option: a separate, smaller web browser window for listeners who want a small form factor but don't want or can't run a separate application on their computer.

• Custom skins to personalize Pandora One on your web browser at www.Pandora.com. Skins are not available for the Pandora One Desktop Application, mobile apps or computer desktop backgrounds.

• More skips: no daily "skip" limit (although the hourly skip limit still applies), so you can always switch to another of your Pandora stations to get additional skips.

• A longer time-out interval: a five-hour time-out period between listener interactions (instead of the one-hour time-out interval on free Pandora accounts).

I'm in the the same situation, I use Pandora on my Blackberry with my Custom 3. I use it whenever I can like cutting the grass, work, when I just want to relax and not turn any of the systems on.

I have a few stations, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and some rap stations.

James

• Moderators

I need to make a few more, I think I have Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Eagles, Jimmy Buffet which covers many different sounds, and a Brad Paisley for people here who like country.

Yes I love Pandora as well. I also use it on my HTC and on my Roku box as well. I haven't really been listening to it lately because I've been on Rhapsody which is great as well (you have to pay for it monthly though) but Pandora is great for discovering new artists and bringing up songs you might have forgotten about etc. I also didn't know you could use Pandora a different way. I didn't realize they had "premade" stations as I have always made my own. Believe it or not I really don't use the quickmix a whole lot. I have certain stations I want to listen to whenever I pull it up. I've also looked up the paid option for the higher quality stream but with me having XM and Rhapsody there's a lot of stuff competing for my music time. So I don't think it would be worth it for me personally just because I probably only listen about 10 hours a month. My XM gets the majority of my time with Rhapsody at a close second. But Pandora is also great for kids. I searched for Disney and Barney etc and put it on for my little brother and nieces and they all seemed to enjoy it. No commercials and no running around looking for cds and you don't have to worry about the station "accidentally" getting switched to something inappropriate. I made up a separate account thats "kids only" for when they visit and then I have my own account. And I also like the fact that Pandora is becoming available on more and more devices.....

This is kinda random but i'm just sitting on my couch and was listening to some Moby, and decided to see what pandora had to offer on Moby radio... its awesome grate tracks that really let my system come to life, and truly pisses off my dad, so you know its good. (he's seemingly allergic to and audible sound)

For you Pandora fanatics out there, any channels that you enjoy??

Pandora rocks....if you like Moby, then maybe you might enjoy Lesiem, Masive Attack, Enigma, Delain, and Blue Man Group. I've also enjoyed The Gathering and Nightwish if you're into a more rock/metal feel that still has electronica.

What other stations have you been listening to?

Pandora rocks....if you like Moby, then maybe you might enjoy Lesiem, Masive Attack, Enigma, Delain, and Blue Man Group. I've also enjoyed The Gathering and Nightwish if you're into a more rock/metal feel that still has electronica.

What other stations have you been listening to?

I really like Pandora. Unfortunatly, it sucks that it is now blocked at work, so no more listening to it there. We used to listen to it all the time, but it was kinda hard on the bandwidth there, so the firewall had to be turned on to block it [:'(]

I have Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater and Nightwish stations. BTW, I've seen Delain at ProgPower just this past September. That was an awesome show [H][8] BTW, also check out Edenbridge, Coronatus and After Forever, for that style of music (although it sucks that After Forever broke up). But I digress...

If I could actually use it and listen to it at work, I may have considered signing up for the upgraded service, but as it currently stands, I just don't use/listen to it enough to make it worth it.

• Moderators

Does anyone know if when you pay for the service the volume is closer between songs. Some songs are louder than others?

You can turn it on and adjust the volume by the first song and after that who knows it can be much louder or lower. I know recordings are all different volumes but you would think they could send it out a little more balanced.

It's almost funny, I set it and a couple songs later I am running to turn it down because things start vibrating. [:P]

What device are you listening to Pandora on? Maybe the device has a volume limiter control or something similar? Because I listen to Pandora on my Roku and Samsung Blu-Ray and I don't have the volume problem, knock on wood.......I don't recall that problem on my phone either but its been awhile since I pulled it up on my phone so I'm not 100% sure there.