Audio Time Delay: Baseball Broadcasts...SOLVED!

fini

OK, here's the deal. I'm a huge baseball fan, and my Giants just won the NL West Division! This means they move on to the playoffs, all carried only on TV by national broadcasters (TBS, ESPN). I much prefer my local broadcasters for both TV and radio. Best of both worlds would be to watch the games on TV, but listen to the radio. The problem lies with the fact that the TV broadcast is delayed substantially (perhaps 15 seconds or more?), making it even more annoying than listening to Chip Caray babble on...

So my question here in the tech forum is, can anyone recommend a way (computer program for Mac, perhaps?) to delay the radio audio to sync up with the TV picture? If the problem were the other way around, an easy solution would be to use Tivo.

I understand where you are coming from, standard definition cable sporting event would sync up with a local radio broadcast so you can watch the TV and hear the audio from the radio, via a typical reciever or seperate radio/tuner. I would prefer to listen to the Phillies broadcast on the radio (GO PHILLIES!!!!!) and watch them in high def on fox and avoid Joe Buck's inane commentary. Between HD tv and the radio there is a delay (forget which side is delayed) which basically eliminates any possibility of such actions. I wish I could help, but have yet to find anything that works either, so I just listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver and yell.. GO PHILLIES!!!

Yep. The Giants play the Braves...on TBS! With Bobby Cox retiring this year, the syrupy coverage is gonna be bitter for Giants fans. I hate yelling at the TV. If I don't come up with a solution, I guess I'll have to just turn off the audio and pretend I'm in the stands.

I know nothing of the Phillies' broadcast team. I'm enamored with the Giants' Jon Miller, Dave Flemming, and especially Krup & Kuip (Duayne Kuiper and Mike Krukow). Geeze, I even have a Kruk & Kuip bobblehead...

00E07769A12A24A1890681_Large.jpg

JB, good luck to the Phillies (until they meet the Giants for the NL Championship Series).[Y]

The Giants pitching make them, IMO the second best NL team, I was hoping the Padres would make it instead. The Phillies are favored but that means nothing, just ask the Cardinals how that worked out for them last season. The local guys here are Larry Anderson and Gary Mathews. The later replaced the late great Harry Kalas.

Just install tons of antenna lead in to the radio until the delay matches up but by then you won't have much signal. Usually the big guys add cable to the "IF" portion of multiple receiver systems to phase match them perfectly.

JJK

It would be straightforward to record TV on DVR and radio on computer and stagger the playback times (if one's willing to significantly time shift viewing) but I think the biggest problem is that the delay is not consistant (i.e, different pauses for commericals and station identification).My guess is you'd have to keep making sync adjustments as you go.

I'm basing my assumption of the varied delay time on my experience with the similar situation of listening to local Steeler radio coverage while following the game on NFL.com

Mike

Here's some shareware that will delay the audio up to ten seconds. http://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/

I suppose if you have two computers, you could load both with the software and connect the delayed audio out of the first into the audio in of the second and fine tune the delay to match the TV coverage.

Many radio stations around the country allow you to "listen Live" thru their web sites. So, if the playoffs are out of your over the air coverage area, try the stations in the playoff market.

There is a $200.00 device called DelayPlay that is built to solve your problem.

http://www.delayplay.com/

Lee

Lee, thanks for looking, but that program won't work on a Mac. I wonder if there's some sort of ipod app, or something (I don't have an ipod, but this would be a good excuse to get one...or borrow one from my girls). DelayPlay looks interesting, but for $200, I'd want the tube version [;)].

In my internet pokin' around, I did see an old-school, analog solution using two R2R decks and a tape loop...And I checked out steaming audio from KNBR (the radio home of the Giants). Reports are that the audio is delayed, which would be perfect...except they don't stream MLB games. Seems MLB wants you to pay for that on their website.

Of course, I could record both broadcasts, and sync them up after the game finishes. Kinda defeats the purpose, though....

Lee, thanks for looking, but that program won't work on a Mac. I wonder if there's some sort of ipod app, or something (I don't have an ipod, but this would be a good excuse to get one...or borrow one from my girls). DelayPlay looks interesting, but for $200, I'd want the tube version Wink.

In my internet pokin' around, I did see an old-school, analog solution using two R2R decks and a tape loop...And I checked out steaming audio from KNBR (the radio home of the Giants). Reports are that the audio is delayed, which would be perfect...except they don't stream MLB games. Seems MLB wants you to pay for that on their website.

Of course, I could record both broadcasts, and sync them up after the game finishes. Kinda defeats the purpose, though....

it would as the Phillies would have won.

When you mention TV broadcast, I'm assuming you are referring to cable or satellite? If so, have you tried OTA (over the air) broadcast? It may be close to radio in regards to time delay (or it could be worse, I have no idea). Just throwing it out there.

I am genuinely confused at this point. I'm not referring to the stadium broadcast. I'm ASSUMING that the game is being broadcast by your local affiliate (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS) . That's the broadcast that you can pick up OTA for free in HD. I would think that the OTA broadcast and radio broadcast would come in at the same time as it's not being processed by your cable/satellite provider. I could be wrong however but it would make sense (to me) if that were so.

Fini,

I am working out the details on how to do this. In the mean time, wanted to see what you might have lying around. You would need a helium balloon large enough to lift one of your Klipschorns. About 12,000 feet of 4 gauge audio wire that can also double as a tether for the balloon, a radio (of course) and a big amp. Let me know if you have all of that and I can go further telling you how to make this work.