Forte II vs KG-4

Cfaille

I've been looking to upgrade my 2-channel system for a while. Really wanted to hear some RF-7s but I cant seem to find a used pair at a decent price. Right now there is a nice set of Forte IIs with a walnut oil finish on craigslist for $550 with Bob Crite tweeter upgrade diaphragms. Would this be a pretty good upgrade from the KG-4? I like my KG-4s and all, but I think I could use a bit more bass and a fuller sound. Can't really explain it but sometimes it feels like my KG4's lack substance unless I push the loudness button on my receiver. A subwoofer is always an option, but I dont really have room for one.

You should be able to get $150-250 for your KG4s resulting in a net price of $350-450 for the Forte IIs. Well worth the upgrade. I've changed out my gear like you wouldn't believe but my Forte IIs have been around for longer than any other component I own by a significant margin. I think I've had them for just about 4 years now. Everything else you see in my signature I've had for about a year or less.

I have had my forte II since 1992, original owner; almost 20 years. I have replaced the original networks with Bob Crites new networks, as well as titanium diaphragms for the tweet's. I have never been able to find a better value from a cost/footprint perspective. As others have mentioned many pieces of equipment have come and gone over the years, but the forte II's are a truly "lifetime" speaker.

You will have NO regrets!

I have owned them both, purchased day 1 new from a dealer. I got rid of the KG-4 long ago. While they are nice speakers they are not even in the same ballpark, league or perhaps even the same sport as the Forte II. I hope you already have them.

While the KG4's were my first introduction to vintage Klipsch and they served me very well, once I got my Forte's, I never looked back. Crisper, clearer, punchier, more seperation. I'll stop there. The KG4's ain't no slouch but not even in the same race with the Forte's or Forte II's. Get them and put the KG4's in another room or sell them and recoupe some $$$.

Rplace,

Sorry about the plagiarism in my analogies.[:$]

I didn't read your reply before I wrote mine.

Bill

I think that I need to get these ASAP, just have to wait for the seller to email me back or call me. I'll probably end up selling the KG4s (which are mint by the way). If you guys know anyone in the Seattle area looking for a nice pair of KG4s send them my way.

Hola Cfaille-

Get 'em, and let us know what you think.

I recently picked up some forte ii's. I have four different two channel systems to play with right now, in the 'good to quite good' mid-fi range, and going back and forth between them I am continally amazed at just how good the forte's really are. They currently reside in a tertiary system, all stuff I've either owned for years or purchased used: Sony x111es -> Yamaha RX396 -> forte ii. That system will hold it's own against others that cost thousands more, it almost seems unfair in some way. And when driven by my SETs, fuggetaboutit, it goes from IMAX impressive to 'reach out and touch them' realism. Get the forte's, you won't regret it.