Voices/dialogue isn't loud enough in movies.

JCole

I find I have to turn a lot of movies up to uncomfortable levels for the voices to come through loud enough. It seems like sound effects etc are easily loud enough at -25 or -20 with my amp, but I'll have to turn it up to -15 for the voices to come through loudly.

Vocals in music are fine. It seems like just 5.1 sources have this issue.

Could it be that my center channel is turned down too much ? (calibrated with pioneer mcacc mic)

When it runs the sound level check, the amp turns up to 0 (reference?) and then all the channels get turned down roughly 6.5 - 8db. Does this seem normal ? Listening environment is a small - midsized apartment room with concrete walls and floors. Could it just be that I am watching shitty sources ? This is mostly stuff from movie central hd channel and downloaded movies. I should try a bluray before I start fussing this settings I guess.

Thoughts ?

• Moderators

Here is what I would do.

Do the auto calibration.

Then use an SPL meter to make sure all speakers are at same level.

Use Bluray disk as your source since it is provides the best audio.

Some choose to bump their center up a notch or two after using the SPL Meter to balance them out.

If you find that your vocals are still lacking, you might want to really consider upgrading at least your front three speakers.

The center channel is one of the most important speakers for HT since it delivers probably 80% of everything that happens on screen. You don't want to skimp on the center channel.

I think the two fronts are fine. People say the c2 center speaker can be lacking though. I will try watching some bluray sources first, and then bump up the center a notch or two. How high should I go ? 3db ? If worse comes to worse I can sell the c2 and pick up a c3. But first I will try bluray.

On a side note, has anyone found that the voices are lacking with downloaded movies ? They cut the bitrate down a lot, even on 1080p files.

Maybe it's all in my head and I'm just not used to gunfire and explosions being felt as allowed to heard. My last setup was a sony htib and it was all treble or all mid-bass.

If you're coming from listening to an HTiB, you may just not be used to hearing the loud sounds that loud. A good starting point to setting the volume is to adjust it so the dialogue is about right, then the explosions will be as loud as the director intended them to be.

If you find the loud sounds to be too loud, especially late in the evening, your receiver will likely have a Night Mode, which will reduce the level of the loud sounds without affecting the softer sounds. The Night Mode may even have a choice of two or three levels of loud sound reduction.

If that's not enough, try raising the centre channel level 2-4dB and see if that makes the dialogue easier to hear.

It's not the speakers, it's not the center you are focusing on the wrong issue. You are a victim of a poor soundtrack mix, I have a La Scala center with a customer crossover network and I still have to bump the center output on a number of soundtracks in an effort to improve dialogue.

Having the system calibrated and levels set properly is certainly a step in the right direction but it's tough to overcome a poorly mixed movie soundtrack and there are many out there. It is certainly important that your center speaker is timbre matched to your mains and equally as robust. Remember the center speaker is the MOST important speaker in your HT as all the other speakers are anchored to it.

You are not alone on this issue