What's better Onkyo or Denon

gfalk1

Hi, I need help ASAP, I am vacationing in Mackinaw, and going back to Canada Sunday morning and I can get either a Onkyo 708 for $600 or a Denon 891 for $700, what is the best bang for the money, I am using RF7's for the mains RC7- centre, RF82's for rears and RS52's for the sides, 90% HT, 10% music, I am leaving Sunday morning, so if anybody can help me before 9am sunday morning it would be great, thanks in advance.

From my experience, get the Onkyo. Reliable and full of features. Even though the 708 will work just fine in most applications, your RF-7's and RC-7 like a lot of juice. Keep the volume under ear bleeding levels and you should be okay. Good thing about the 708 is it has preouts so you could add an outboard amp later.

Bill

They are both really good . I wish you could hear them both. I am a big fan of Audessey as well but BOTH receivers have Auduessy MultiEQ. They are both 7.2 channels and they both upconvert everything. I have an Onkyo as well but my next upgrades are going to be Denon and Harman because I have heard great things about their "sound" The Onkyo seems to be the best bang for the buck because it adds another HDMI port (7 vs 6 on the Denon) and it also adds THX certification and 5 more watts per channel. Some people feel that THX certification doesn't mean anything but it does pass the testing of THX so that can be a plus. Onkyos are great for movies and they don't sound bad for music. Denon's are known to be more musical but I can't verify that. As far as upconverting goes I've only used Faroudja which is what Onkyo uses. Denon uses Anchor Bay. I've never had a product that used Anchor Bay but their chipsets get good reviews too. Of course there is only so much upconversion can do for SD content. Its a hard call though because they both pretty much match each other feature for feature. Of course the MSRP of the Onkyo is higher because of the added port and THX certification so you're saving the most on the Onkyo. So in conclusion the best bang for the buck will be the Onkyo but the Denon is also a good deal and IMO you can't go wrong with either one. .

For 90% HT get the Onkyo 7xx or 8xx.You may or may not feel you need more power, you can always add an amp later.I would suggest trying the Denon, Marantz and Harman but for HT the Onkyo will do fine.

Mine does fine for 2 channel when I put CD's in my Blue Ray player, but I have monster horns that only use milliwatts.....one watt drives me out of the room. But the big horns do tell me if an amp is quiet and both Onkyos I have owned were dead quiet and lighting fast top to bottom. If you need more watts, then you can use the Pre Outs for all 8 channels, eh? You can't go wrong with the Onkyo.

Hi what models do you suggest and how much thanks, is the onkyo 1008 model a ggod upgrade for the price difference.

I believe so. Thats actually the model I plan on getting for my bedroom. A ton of features and you can generally find it online below its MSRP. It averages around $900 9.2 channels. 135 wpc. Possible to playback things in 3 zones. Networking. Built in Display Calibration. etc. its feature packed as well. The real question is whether or not you'll use those extra features. Will you use the extra channels? The calibration? If not then save your money and get the 708 and put the money you saved towards some external amps. I'm sort of a nerd when it comes to technology so I know I'll use those features. Have something playing in my home theater while I pump different stuff to the patio and garage. LOL. It all comes down to you though. No point in wasting money on the few extra amps and features if its going to be used the same way as the 708.

Hi what models do you suggest and how much thanks, is the onkyo 1008 model a ggod upgrade for the price difference.

If you want to go just the receiver route and not add an outboard amp for a while, this receiver has all the bells and whistles and a beast of an amp section. Getting last years model is a way to get the best bang for the buck. Flagship model at 59% off from a very reputable online merchant.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR5007/Onkyo/TX-NR5007-THX-Ultra2-Plus-145-watts-Channel-9.2-Network-Receiver/1.html

Bill

Thanks Bill, that looks like a great deal, but it came too late, I went with the 708, the salesman threw in a hundred dollars worth of cables I needed for free, so he made me an off I couldn't refuse, got home last night and I will be hooking it up today, thanks everybody for your input on very short notice, it really helped make my decision easier, this is a great forum, thanks again. Gary

Thanks Bill, that looks like a great deal, but it came too late, I went with the 708, the salesman threw in a hundred dollars worth of cables I needed for free, so he made me an off I couldn't refuse, got home last night and I will be hooking it up today, thanks everybody for your input on very short notice, it really helped make my decision easier, this is a great forum, thanks again.

You should be pleased with your 708. I have the 705 from a couple of years ago and could not be happier. Very reliable with no hiccups at all. When I got my pair of RF-63's, I added an outboard amp to really bring out the best in them. Big difference in detail and plenty of headroom. Low volume listening is where adding the amp was noticed most. Your 708 has preouts so if you ever feel your system is lacking, a quality amp will add to your listening pleasure.

Good luck,

Bill

Congrats on the new purchase Gary. I had the Onkyo 703 and it was a great receiver for HT. I wasn't too pleased with it for 2ch music but it wasn't bad. For HT, it was perfect. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I still use my 702; and it is just fine for HT....

Musically; I still am blown away at times.

I have spent many hours tweaking; and I think using the eq makes all of the difference.

I think you will be very pleased......

Enjoy the new toy......