For Picky, We have a new king of peppers

Jay481985

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101203/sc_yblog_thelookout/worlds-hottest-pepper-is-hot-enough-to-strip-paint

Fiery food mavens seeking to one-up each other now have to gear up
for a whole new test of culinary bravado: the world's hottest chili
pepper.

Yes, the Naga Viper, the latest claimant to the world's-hottest-pepper crown, outdistances its predecessor, the Bhut Jolokia,
or "ghost chili," by more than 300,000 points on the famous Scoville
scale of tongue-scorching chili hotness. Researchers at Warwick
University testing the Naga Viper found that it measures 1,359,000 on
the Scoville scale,
which rates heat by tracking the presence of a chemical compound. In
comparison, most varieties of jalapeño peppers measure in the 2,500 to
5,000 range -- milder than the Naga Viper by a factor of 270.

You might think the Naga Viper would hail from some
part of the world with a strong demand for spicy food, such as India or
Mexico. But the new pepper is actually the handiwork of Gerald Fowler, a
British chili farmer and pub owner, who crossed three of the hottest
peppers known to man -- including the Bhut Jolokia -- to create his
Frankenstein-monster chili.

"It's painful to eat," Fowler told the Daily Mail.
"It's hot enough to strip paint." Indeed, the Daily Mail reports that
defense researchers are already investigating the pepper's potential
uses as a weapon.

But Fowler -- who makes
customers sign a waiver declaring that they're of sound mind and body
before trying a Naga Viper-based curry -- insists that consuming the
fiery chili does the body good.

"It numbs your tongue, then burns all the way down,"
he told the paper. "It can last an hour, and you just don't want to talk
to anyone or do anything. But it's a marvelous endorphin rush. It makes
you feel great."

A member of the Clifton Chili Club
-- a group of Brits who travel around sampling chilis -- decided to try
one of Fowler's Naga Vipers on camera. You can watch his
less-than-pleasurable experience here.

(Photo of Bhut Jolokia, the previous holder of the hottest pepper in the world title: AP/New Mexico State University)

• Moderators

"It numbs your tongue, then burns all the way down," he told the paper. "It can last an hour, and you just don't want to talk to anyone or do anything. But it's a marvelous endorphin rush. It makes you feel great."

Dumbass.........I think I will get an "endorphin rush" a different way then him, It would be less painfull to just jump off the roof or tell my wife I found a girlfriend, those would hurt less ! [:S]

• Moderators

"It numbs your tongue, then burns all the way down," he told the paper. "It can last an hour, and you just don't want to talk to anyone or do anything. But it's a marvelous endorphin rush. It makes you feel great."

Dumbass.........I think I will get an "endorphin rush" a different way then him, It would be less painfull to just jump off the roof or tell my wife I found a girlfriend, those would hurt less ! [:S]

Well I did eat a ghost chili once. Serious too just to feel what it does.

would you do it again?

Yes and No. It depends on the mood I am in and if I want spicy. Closest thing to what it felt like, being pepper sprayed. After 10 minutes though the pain stops feeling so bad because you get used to it.

Well I did eat a ghost chili once. Serious too just to feel what it does.

would you do it again?

Yes and No. It depends on the mood I am in and if I want spicy. Closest thing to what it felt like, being pepper sprayed. After 10 minutes though the pain stops feeling so bad because you get used to it.

does something that hot actually have a discernable taste? watched some guy on you tube eat one of those new viper peppers. he ate a green one first to get his mouth hot, then ate one of the red ones...then he started puking. looked like he was having trouble breathing for awhile. he accidently rubbed his eye, then said he had spent the previous 10 minutes rinsing his eye will vegetable oil.

There is a taste per se, its kinda like the first time you take a straight shot of a liquor. You know there is a taste but the overwhelming burn/sting gets to your tastebuds first. I'd assume just like alcohol, its an aquired taste. The closest thing I could think of for that is ummm....habenero take it up 1000 times.

I eat peppers in some form or fashion every day whether it's fresh, canned, pickled, hot sauce, salsa, powdered or spice. I believe there is a "rush" or "high" sometimes, then you kinda zone out like Jay described. I'd try this pepper if I have a chance to.

I brought a package but its somewhere in a box since my family and I moved and we are still unpacking. If I find I will pm you and ship it, hopefully no one checks the package and consumes one, I'd bet they call the postal police for assaulting a postal worker!

I eat ghost peppers regularly, they are very different than any pepper I have ever had. It's not that they are just hot, they have a very distinctive heavy flavor all their own. The flavor permeates everything in a dish and that heat does go deep into youre throat, as the author notes about this new hybrid If anyone wants some seeds let me know!

Sorry Jay: I just saw your post this morning. I've been away from here for a while. Spending a lot of time job-hunting and when I am on, I tend to post on FB. Yours post is the first I'd heard of the new Naga Viper between 855,000–1,359,000 Scoville units, the same basic range as the naga jolokia. I have yet to try a naga jolokia or bhut jolokia. The hottest chili (not sauce) I have tasted thus far are the Red Savina Habaneros that I used to grow which tend to range from 350,000–580,000 Scoville units. The "Dorset Naga" and "Ghost chili" are cultivars of the bhut jolokia but neither have official cultivar status.

I have tried sauces over 1 million Scovilles and own sauces that measure more than 3 million (Blair's Original 3 AM Private reserve). The hottest sauce of which I am currently aware is Blair's 16 Million Reserve (Death Sauce) a mere $12,500 a bottle, 6am and T-99 Sauces which can measure in at a "cool" 16 Million Scoville units. Blair's 16 Million really isn't a sauce at all. Instead, it's actually in crystal form and one granule is "deadly". For my own tastes, I prefer a sauce with outstanding flavor that has a Scoville rating of less that 750,000 units. Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce and his Private Reserve remain my all-time favorites. 2 or 3 small drops, fully-stirred into a bowl of chili is about all I really want and I NEVER use it as a topical sauce on something like a taco or tortilla chips. I use other, less-potent sauces for topical use such as Melinda's XXX and XXXX Hot Habanero sauce and even mild sauces such as Cholula. They all have excellent flavor. I personally credit Dave's with starting the whole extreme-heat, extract-style sauce craze back in the early 1990's. Dave's founder, Dave Hirschkop started his empire from his apartment house in San Francisco. I located the actual building on one of our many trips to SF back in the 1990's, but he wasn't home at the time. He now offers a hotter, "Ultimate Insanity" sauce and a "Ghost Pepper" Jolokia Private Reserve, both list for $8.99. Dave's also offers a unique, "Adjustable Heat" sauce in a pump bottle for $9.99. I always have at least 20 bottles from my collection open and in the fridge at any time, ready for use. Have fun out there, but be careful!

Below is a picture of a naga jolokia...

post-10177-13819619999424_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819623268098_thumb.jpg

I eat ghost peppers regularly, they are very different than any pepper I have ever had. It's not that they are just hot, they have a very distinctive heavy flavor all their own. The flavor permeates everything in a dish and that heat does go deep into youre throat, as the author notes about this new hybrid If anyone wants some seeds let me know!

Are the seeds possible to grow a plant with? If so I will take one. The ones I have were sun dried so I doubt its alive.

The hottest sauce of which I am currently aware is Blair's 16 Million Reserve (Death Sauce) a mere $12,500 a bottle, 6am and T-99 Sauces which can measure in at a "cool" 16 Million Scoville units. Blair's 16 Million really isn't a sauce at all. Instead, it's actually in crystal form and one granule is "deadly".

I don't think you can get anything hotter than that. At 16 Million Scoville points, that must be pure Capsaicin (the actual chemical compound that causes the heat sensation, thus the crystaline form). Now, I guess if somebody made a sauce using resiniferatoxin, a very potent capsaicin analog, which, in its pure forum, is said to have a Scoville rating of 16 billion, it could be possible to make something even hotter. Apparently, that stuff will cause skin to blister upon contact as well a very small amount swallowed will kill a person.

Anyway, the hottest thing that I've dared trying where the "Triple Atomic" wings they have at this Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant that just opened up down the street from my office. According to the menu, they are rated at 500,000 Scollville points. That was pretty darn hot right there. I cannot imagine eating anything in the 1 million+ range.