For Picky, We have a new king of peppers

Jay481985

Skonopa, I think drinking battery acid might be safer than the resiniferatoxin!

It always cracks me up that we naturally tend to associate things that taste hot to us as being acidic. Yet, hot peppers are actually alkaline; the opposite of acidic!

Yes, Blair's 16 Million Private Reserve is pure Cap. Here a good resource if you are interested in more detailed information about this ridiculously caustic concoction:

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/

• Moderators

Anyway, the hottest thing that I've dared trying where the "Triple Atomic" wings they have at this Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant that just opened up down the street from my office. According to the menu, they are rated at 500,000 Scollville points. That was pretty darn hot right there. I cannot imagine eating anything in the 1 million+ range.

Funny they call it Quaker Steak & Lube, after eating that your going to wish you had a little Lube ! [:@]

I will just stick with my "normal hot sauce" and the peppers made for sissy's, Japaleno's. [:$]

Funny they call it Quaker Steak & Lube, after eating that your going to wish you had a little Lube ! Angry

I will just stick with my "normal hot sauce" and the peppers made for sissy's, Japaleno's. Embarrassed

Funny names and jokes aside, admittedly, the place does have some really good food there. I was certainly impressed. On opening day, that place was PACKED (they just opened on the 1st)! There was a good crowd in there even today, when I stopped in during lunch. This time, I tried something a bit milder - the "Hot" wings were only around 3,000 Scoville points, according to the menu.

Now, as I am thinking, I wonder what the scoville rating of that mustard that I mistakenly eaten when I was at Sun Valley a few years ago. I was at a banquet and they had some chicken tenders and this mustard sauce that looked good on the buffet table. So I figure, I'd dab a bit of this mustard on the chicken tender and bit in. Holy Mother of God! I thought my head was going to friggan EXPLODE that was so hot!

Anyway, thanks for the info Picky - that was quite an interesting little read. Also, kinda along the same topic, I remember a while back, I was watching a program on, I think, Discovery Travel called "Extreme Fast Food". I remember them mentioning some wing place, called Cluck-U up near Rutgers University in New Jersey. They had variety of wings called "911". Before you could order them, the owner of the restaurant had you fill out and sign a waiver as well as had you try a small taste of the sauce itself to see if you can even handle it. I recall the narrator of the program saying those were rated at something like 15 or even 16 million Scoville points, although I could be wrong. I looked on the Cluck-U website itself, but it does not give a Scoville rating of the wings - only uses a generic thermometer scale.

Funny, the other night I got a rude reminder of just how hot some sauces are. Every year I go to a Christmas dinner on the second Thursday of December with some old friends/colleagues of mine from the Ford F150 launch team we worked on in Norfolk, Virgina back in 1995. We all worked so well and so closely together that year that we've all remained good friends. When we were down in Norfolk, it always seemed that when we got together for dinner, it always turned out to be a Mexican restaurant. So, each year we meet at a Mexician restaurant here in the Detroit area. We've done this every year for the last 15. Part of our ritual is that I always had the reputation in the group for eating the hottest food. My job is to bring the hot sauce to the dinner each year. With that in mind, my wonderful bride Verna gave me a Dave's Gourmet, Chilihead Survival Kit steel lunch box (pictured below) a few years ago. It came with 3 different versions of Dave's Insanity Sauce inside. What I do each year is select 3 sauces from my collection; mild, medium & hot, place them in the little lunch box and take them to the restaurant. The current restaurant for the past 10 years is called "El Nibble Nook" and this dinner is the only time each year we go to the place, because it's a bit of a drive for us. Yet the owner actually remembers "the guy with the lunch box" every year and always wants to see which sauce I have brought. LOL

This time I selected: Mild: Tabasco Chipotle Sauce, Medium: Scorned Woman, Hot: Blair's Sudden Death Sauce

I ordered fish tacos for the first time. I've always been put off by the name; "fish tacos". It just sounds bad. Don't get me wrong, I absolutley LOVE all types of seafood. But, "FISH" tacos?? Yet, it never makes sense for me to say I don't like something if I've never tried it. So, I ordered three, soft fish tacos made with talapia (one of my favs) and they were delicious! I used one of each sauce on the three tacos. I started with the chipotle and worked up to the Blair's. Man-oh-man is that Blair's hotter than heck when it's used topically rather than suspended in something like chili! SHEESH! I had forgotten just HOW hot! I was thankful for the dollop of sour cream on my plate and the pitcher of water and extra napkins! Phew!! LOL -Glenn

BTW: I can confirm: Quaker Steak and LubeTriple Atomic Sauce is rated at 500,000 Scoville units. That's smokin' Hot!

post-10177-13819634078382_thumb.jpg

I eat ghost peppers regularly, they are very different than any pepper I have ever had. It's not that they are just hot, they have a very distinctive heavy flavor all their own. The flavor permeates everything in a dish and that heat does go deep into youre throat, as the author notes about this new hybrid If anyone wants some seeds let me know!

I got them today, they'll be planted in the spring. Thanks!!

I eat ghost peppers regularly, they are very different than any pepper I have ever had. It's not that they are just hot, they have a very distinctive heavy flavor all their own. The flavor permeates everything in a dish and that heat does go deep into youre throat, as the author notes about this new hybrid If anyone wants some seeds let me know!

I would love to have some seeds to grow and try some if you have any left to spare. Please email me at rgordon@watchtv.net

Thanks!!! Roger

I got them today, they'll be planted in the spring. Thanks!!

I got mine yesterday as well. Thank You juniper8