Amps, Amps, Amps... Does anyone still like the AVRs?

kde

I've seen many Amp vs AVR threads (and chimed in on many, and learned quite a bit along the way -- thank you), but does anyone still recommend an AVR over an Amp? Things seem to always lean towards the Amp.

I am close to pulling the trigger on the Emotiva UPA-7 and just looking for a little more push. If I've already got money put into the THX Ultra IIs d I owe it to myself to go ahead and invest in the amp?

Does anyone still make a case for the AVR? I like the way my stuff sounds -- just wondering what it could sound like!

>If I've already got money put into the THX Ultra IIs d I owe it to myself to go ahead and invest in the amp?

None of the money we spend on this hobby is an "investment". It is an expense. After you spend the money on a piece of equipment, that money is gone. Get comfortable with tihis and I think you'll have more enjoyment. Yes, you should get the Emotiva if you have the extra cash. Just my 2db..

Not a traditional "investment", but maybe "wise" money. Example, to get the same quality of sound I may have to spend $1300 on an AVR, but if I put the $600 into an amp and then only upgrade a processor over time -- then I may come out even or ahead. OR maybe I am trying to justify the expense!

there is not an AVR that exists that can measure up to separates in the 1000-2000 dollar price range. Amps can last and last, everytime an AVR is replaced, so is the amp inside. If you look at it like this, separates are higher quality than a standalone AVR. You may spend the same in the end if not a bit more on separates but the quality you will enjoy over time will negate that even or little bit extra expense. The UPA-7 will make you quite happy, if it works for you vs buying a new AVR, shit, its a no brainer to me. Even betterm, if you dont like it, reutrn it within 30 days!

there is not an AVR that exists that can measure up to separates in the 1000-2000 dollar price range. Amps can last and last

Just what he said. I spent $450.00 on my NAD T773 receiver($1899.00.00 msrp), $100.00 on my B&K Reference 4430 amp($1700.00 msrp), and $200.00 on my B&K EX4420 amp($1300.00 msrp). That totals out to be $750.00 for $4899.00 worth of gear. You do the math. That $750.00 is about what you would spend on a new lower mid level mass produced receiver with about 100w/ch which equates to about 45w/ch with all channels driven simultaneously. I think I would rather have 200 real watts/channel(all channels driven) and a flagship receiver for $750.00 than the alternative.

Both of my B&K amps are at least (12) years old and are just getting warmed up. I will probably go through at least (4) receivers or pre/pros before I need to replace these amps.

Bill

just to add something else. With emotiva, there is finally an affordable solution to high quality separates. Separates are becomming more common place and consumers are picking up on that. Most people don't know the drawbacks of a receivers, most dont care and are blissfully ignorant. Thats ok though! If you dont know what you are missing you can't be mad, the knowledge doesnt exist to you. With all the bells and whistles receivers have today, their prices are jacked up because of royalty fees (ipod interfaces, audessey etc). Receivers are a great simple solution in a compact package. Separates are more intriquite, you need good quality rca/xlr cables, ground loops can really be a pain in the ***.

The fact that ypu are on here means that you cared enough to do some research and ask questions. We aren't selling anything to you and we have no angle we are benefitting from. Yes our opinions are subjective but when we can talk about hardcore numbers and stats, well, there is the proof point, something that isnt subjective. Our world is ruled by physics, some of which is yet to created and defined, but its there. Receivers have a purpose as do separates, separates are just more refined than your jack of all trades receivers.

Nice post sub.

+1

I started back down this road by purchasing an Onkyo TX805 and it has served its purpose for HT (not 2 channel), very well over the last couple of years while I have been acquiring more Klipsch, amps, active crossover and various other pieces and parts, but it was only temporary and I've been searching out a prepro. that will hopefully go into the system and remain there for a long period of time. In the past, the majority of failures that I've had with HT receivers have been in the power supply and amp sections and I believe that they're all constructed to be throw aways after a few years. I'm also of the opinion that having multiple amps as opposed to one running many channels is the way to go for me(in my system) and here's why;

For my mains weather I'm running the 7's, Corns or Cornscala's (or whatever comes along in the future) I want to have the best amps with the greatest amount of headroom for pure audio. I'll also be going active soon and it will allow me to swap out amps for 2 and 3 way applications with ease.

For the center, the same basic reason as the mains.

IMO the requirements for the surrounds are not as demanding (my set up) and don't require me to use amps in the same category as the mains and center.

The two biggest reasons for me taking this approach would be 1) not push any of the equipment to the extreme and hopefully enjoy many trouble free years of operation. 2) in the event of one amp failing, I'm not down and out until I replace a 5 or 7 channel amp and it also allows me to swap them out easily as I play with different amps or stumble onto something that I want to try on the mains.

Happy listening regardless of what path you choose.[:D]

Not a traditional "investment", but maybe "wise" money. Example, to get the same quality of sound I may have to spend $1300 on an AVR, but if I put the $600 into an amp and then only upgrade a processor over time -- then I may come out even or ahead. OR maybe I am trying to justify the expense!

I like my Denon THX Ultra II AVR and in my less than 2,000 cu ft room feel the internal amps handle the dips in my speakers and wouldn't go to separates until you needed to upgrade the processor. {EDIT: AVR-4806 internal amps were Benchmark Tested at 114 wpc/7 channels driven and 180 wpc 2 channel} http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/denon-avr-4806-receiver-12-2005-part-5.html

A case can be made for AVR's when they package them with insanely beautiful sounding amps and sell them at an 1/8th of the price of the nearest component equivalent.

For example

As is the case with Sherwood and Panasonic vs. Tact, Lyngdorf, and NAD. To step up into components with this technology means quite a hike in price. The marriage of small sales and extremely satisfied customers makes this product tough to find on the used market in order to save some money.

Some AVRs make pretty good pre-amps. As well, in a combined HT/2-channel system, using the AVR's amp for the centre and surrounds provides good enough dialogue and surround sound, while a pair of high-quality power amps provide really clean and dynamic sound for music as well as movies.

There are other effective ways to go, but that setup works for me. [:D]

Guest davidness

I *really* like my Yamaha RX-Z7 as my AVR because of the ability to completely control the amp, volume & input, etc, using the web browser on my iPhone and iPad. Very cool. But I do use an external stereo tube amp connected to the pre-outs for the fronts, and I use a Emotiva XPA-5 for the other channels.

Where are you in Texas? If you like, you can come demo my system, I have an XPA-5 running my reference series speaker.

I'd love to, however am in Austin -- thanks for the offer. I did go to a local store and listen to a Rotel amp / pro set up. It's hard to tell in a store setting, but the sound did have "pop".

kde,

What speakers are you currently using?

If have a Klipsch Reference setup and you heard it at Modia, likely on B&W, you have an apples to oranges comparison. Plus would you be buying a processor or using what you have to drive a separate amp?

I run the Ultra THX II off a Pioneer Elite 54VSX. My main goal of going to the store was to hear a separate set up -- I haven't heard many setups and just wanted to find out what I should be listening for and a somewhat benchmark for my setup. I like how my system currently sounds, but it's always easy to get carried away with this stuff. Before returning to the forum, my plan was to get a regular pioneer receiver with HDMI... then started to look at amps... then started to look at better receivers... then now back to amps. Was looking at the Emo UVA-7 simply per the recommendations on this board (and the price point). Was thinking about hooking this up to my current receiver, and then getting the processor when a good deal came up. Will a new processor (assume UMC-1) really make a difference in sound, or will it just offer more features? As a note... my favorite thing in listening is to hear the surround sound (planes flying overhead, doors shutting, wind, people walking from behind, etc).