Guess who's back with some new speakers........

jjennings2510

Hey guys. Its been awhile since I've posted on here! Been busy working. Doing lots of ot at work. But the ot has finally paid off because I have been making upgrades to my system. It seems like it was just yesterday when I was buying my first pair of Klipsch speakers.....the RB-61 IIs......well I made the mistake of joining this forum and got the upgrade bug. Well a few months later and I have upgraded my bookshelf speakers with floorstanders. The mancave is finally complete! I have RF-82s for my mains....RC-35 center....and RB-25 surrounds.....the 25s really brought everything together in the room. Sounds amazing even though it is a tight squeeze. What happened to the 61 IIs? Well they've been moved to my next project area.....the sitting area up front. The front is a work in progress but I'm already loving my latest purchase! Let me show you guys what I'm talking about!

post-45963-13819638167392_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I hate to bust your bubble but the boxes are ugly. I wanna see the speakers bro!!! LOL

Congrats on the new purchase. That's a sweet upgrade from the RB-61's. Enjoy and post pics and a review once you get everything setup.

So for the room up front I have RF-7 II fronts.....a Polk center and the RB 61 IIs as surrounds.....of course I plan on replacing the Polk center with RC-64 II sometime soon. I still have to get a big screen tv, receiver, tv stand, and amps for the front so I'm taking it a step at a time. But all I can say is WOW! The 7s sound amazing even with the crappy receiver I have up there. The 7s sound very majestic. Can't wait until I get the front finished.....I will keep you guys posted on my progress!

Planned upgrades:

Center: RC-64 II

Sub :2 SVS PB13 Ultra

Preamp: Marantz AV7005

Amps 4 Crown XTI 1002 amos

Power: APC S15

TV: 2011 Samsung LED or Panasonic VT25 plasma. Aiming for at least 60" for whichever one I decide on.

And the mancave upgrades are at the bottom of my list. I'm very happy right now but of course I'm curious how the 82s will sound with a seperate amp soooo the mancave upgrades are....

Receiver: Harman Kardon 7550hd or AVR 3600

Amps: QSC PLX2 1802......don't know if I should just use one for both speakers or get 2 and run them in bridged mode.....one for each speaker.

SO I'm happy to say I've made alot of progress but I still have a ways to go.....especially for the front since the remaining items are going to run me at least $1000 each. But I'm very content with staying in the cave and enjoying the 82s.....and I'm also content with the front sitting area for now. Let me post some more pics of the amazing 7s though!

post-45963-13819638169222_thumb.jpg

I hate to bust your bubble but the boxes are ugly. I wanna see the speakers bro!!! LOL

Congrats on the new purchase. That's a sweet upgrade from the RB-61's. Enjoy and post pics and a review once you get everything setup.

Haha thanks! And the box pic was supposed to be a teaser while I uploaded the rest of them. Had to resize my pics one by one bc I took them at 10 mp.....so i was over the file size limit. Finally got them up though. Have you made any upgrades lately? If I remember correctly you had the perfect theater tho so probably not!

• Moderators

naked closeup

My eyes!!! My eyes!!!! Must resist staring at your naked cones!!! LOL Sorry...just couldn't help myself. Haha

Thx for sharing the pics. You are going to love them. I had a pair of RF-7's and they sounded every bit as good as the RF-83's...just a different sound. Very capable speaker and will last you for many, many years.

No upgrades for me. I need to add some acoustic panels, repeater for the lights, step lights for the rear riser and black out the windows but nothing I cannot live without. Just tweeks here and there. A second 15" sub would be nice down the road and maybe an AT Screen so I can put the RC-64 directly behind the screen.

If you want to save lots of money, you need to cancel your Klipsch account and join the Croquet Forum. [:P]

Good to see you back in the forums.

Let me put the grills back on! Ohhhhh wait......all of my speakers are naked....nevermind. LOL. I just love the look without the grills...but once I start a family or have guests over that have kids I'll dress them all up. Can't have anyone messing with my cones. But wow a second 15? The bass will be amazing with a second one. I'm aiming for 2 SVS 13" subs but I'm sitting here looking at the space and it looks like I may be lucky to fit one sub in. But everything you have planned sounds great. Especially the screen. Putting the speaker behind the screen will give you even more of the "theater" feel if thats possible. Yes I should cancel my account because I had to hear it from everyone....."didn't you just buy some speakers? Why do you need some more? You have too much stuff. This stuff sounds fine" Even my mom was like why? LOL. I'm building it up now with the best I can get because I plan on making this system last more than a few years. I don't abuse my stuff and with the quality of Klipsch that shouldn't be a problem. Plus once I have kids I'm sure I'm going to need a getaway every once in a while and movie nights will probably mean staying at home and popping in a Blu Ray, lol. But let me give my impressions of the speakers though. The 7s are loud and have no problem filling the room with sound. I used the Inception Blu Ray as a test.....and wow.....the waves had weight to them....and the soundstage was wide even though i'm limited on space.....the waves traveled beyond the speakers. I had to crank up my sub level on the AVR because the 7s were overpowering the wimpy Sub 10.....but when I cranked it up the sub actually hung around pretty convincingly. The gain knob is still only set at the 12 o clock position on the actual sub so I'm impressed. The sub 10 is no slouch. Unfortunately I do have "dead" bass spots in the room. I can't really comment on the bass of the 7s yet because my AVR is ste to 80hz and I can't change it.....Fixed crossover.....so i can't wait to get a new unit that will give me more flexibilitybecause I'm sure the 7s will really come alive. My receiver is only pushing like 70wpc but I still couldn't turn it all the way up and I luckily never reached the point of clipping. The finish is superb. And yes they are heavy. I struggled and struggled with these things trying to move them. I think the cherry finish helps with the WAF. After letting my hearing come back I went to the cave and popped in Master and Commander......great test movie! The subtle creaks and groans of the boat and footsteps walking on the deck really impressed me. I actually muted the movie a couple of times because I thought the creaks were coming from the hallway! And then BAM! Cannon balls ripped through the boat and I had wood breaking all around me and the BOOM of the cannons shook the walls.....All of the speakers jumped to life with no problem. And all of this happened in the first 15 min of the movie! Then it was back to the subtle boat sounds and the sound of waves. But with the amazing detail being there the movie actually lulled me into relaxation and then BAM! I have a near heart attack as the cannons go off again and the battle begins again on the waters.....so after calming my nerves I went back up front and played Master on the 7s......same thing. Amazing ambient sounds and then the 7s sprang to life. The bookshelf speakers really tied both systems together. I had no name and Sony surrounds in the cave and up front respectively.....and while the ambiance was there I had to turn up the volume to get it. With the 25s and 61s I was able to keep the volume low....or at least I thought it was low until the battles began........I've never paid attention to the subtle sounds at home. I'm impressed because the bookshelf speakers perform as well as the RS speakers. I was dead set on getting the RS surrounds for my systems after hearing them in my parent's RF 62 system (recommended by your truly, lol) and then a lot of sites said bookshelf speakers didn't make good side surrounds......and I was underwhelmed by the Sony's......but now I see....as with anything else if you want performance you have to pay for it. I'm satisfied with the 61s and 25s as surrounds and I have scratched the RS speakers off of my list! But back to the topic on hand. The 7s also have that great dynamic range. They are definitely more forward....more in your face than other Klipsch Speakers. My 82s sound very laid back compared to the 7s.....BUT they're only in your face at moderately high volumes......and I can't really say if the in your face sound is the cause of my crappy receiver or not. And its too much trouble to switch the receiver from the cave just for testing so I'll have to update this later once I get a new one.....But at low volumes the detail is still there! The speakers still sound great and the soundstage is there.....but it seems to widen a little with volume but once again that could be my crappy receiver. I'm very impressed and I really don't see how I can drive these speakers too hard.....at least not without losing my hearing in the process. The tweeter in the 7s also brought out how crappy the noise floor is in my receiver.....I can hear that static sound when nothing is playing.....so they're definitely accurate and they won't hide anything! I peeked through the bass port on the back and saw the cast iron basket of the speaker. This thing is built like a tank. I think the only way to really break these is to take a sledgehammer to them....and even then they would probably still play audio just fine.....they would just be an eyesore of broken wood LOL. So I'm impressed and anxious....if I'm this impressed now then wait until I get the RC-64 II.....that will timbre match my soundstage and I'm sure once I get the amps and preamp the soundstage and dynamics will open up even more! Can't wait. But I'm done blabbing......and call me mean but I plan on giving the gf a heart attack with Master and Commander (evil laugh) I know if it made me jump then it'll probably make her pass out.....I think its the water and creaking of the boat. Those sounds lull you to sleep and then out of nowhere BAM CRACK CRACK YELL. lol. I would have been on guard if I was watching a scary movie.....nonetheless Master and Commander has been added to my home theater test list of Blu Rays which includes Inception and The Dark Knight. But I'm done blabbing! I'm about to continue enjoying college basketball.....the crowds and squeak of the shoes sounds amazing.....in addition to the bands. I really want to call in to work on tuesday! LOL.

Guest Anonymous

Not sure how your speakers arrived, i have to order mine, so they show up by Fed ex. I love it when new gear shows up.

Nice speakers bud.

• Moderators

Thanks for the book review..I mean novel, or short story. [:P]

I too have nulls in my room, thus the reason for wanting to add another 15" sub. Hoping that will help fill in those gaps where there is little bass.

I think you will love the RC-64 II once you pair it up with the RF-7's. Amazing combo for sure. Enjoy!