Outdoor Speakers

lopezh

I am doing some research on getting some speakers put in my backyard. I am considering a speaker rock or two speakers to hang in the easement of my roof. I have currently been running my reference bookshelf speakers back there and they sound great. I have a small back yard so I'm aiming for sound quality as opposed to beefy speakers. I have a friend who says outdoors speakers don't sound as good as say my RF line. Is this true? What are your recommendations?

I have used the KHO 7s and they sounded just fine. I also used a Polk Atrium 10 outdoor passive sub which I was able to get for $150 on ebay.

This summer I am replacing the KHO 7s with AW650 mainly because of the 650 better sound dispersion horn. Now the question ; do theysound

as good as the indoor?, I would say probably not but close. That being said I would guess only 1 in 10 of your guests would notice the difference.

I am happy with my out door system it is what it is; a system to stay outside.

I have two pair of Klipsch AW-525's and am very happy with the sound quality. Do they sound as good as my Chorus II's? Of course not, but they more than do the job. They come down for the winter and go back up in the spring.

I have a couple of the AWR-650 rock speakers on my back deck, with a Denon DRA-397 two-channel reciever supplying the juice. Do they sound as good as my "big" RF-7 setup with B&K amplification? Hell no, but for an outdoor rig, it actually sounds quite good. I may considering adding an outdoor sub as well to give it some more low end, but don't want to be "thumping the woofaz" like some punk-*** kid riding around in some POS ricer-mobile.

IMG_3529.jpg

Plus, they seem to hold up quite well, even in the snow [:D]

snowed-over-klipsch-rocks001Medium.jpg

AW850-and get the "sub" too. Mine have withstood many thunderstorms. No, they do not sound as good as your reference, and not as good as my Khorns, but they are far-and-away the best Klipsch outdoor non-commercial speaker...and they do sound verrry good.

SSH

Thank you all for the great input and pics! I wish I could enjoy a beer in your backyards and enjoy the sound. How would a rock sound as compared to hanging speakers? I'm liking the rock option however I think my dogs would make it their new "post".

I bought a single AWR-650 for my parents to put in their screened in porch.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't order a couple more of them when 6Th Ave had them on sale for $99.99/ea

I was impressed with these speakers when I first heard them at one of the Klipsch Pilgrimages in Indy.

• 1 month later...

I have just ordered a pair of the AW-650. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to make them more secure. I was thinking of mounting them to the bracket with a torx head rather than the plastic hand adjustable screws they come with. Theft shouldn't be too much of an issue but I have had strangers cut through my back yard even though it is fenced off. Also the house behind mine was demolished and a new one is being built so my concern is also that with so many people coming and going there I might come out to just find brackets one day.

I am in Maine and my AW-650 sound great, in all kinds of weather. They stay up and get used year round. The speakers point across the backyard toward the lake, I hope the people across the lake like my choice in music :)

I have an AW800 sub under the eave of my workshop building and one ROCK (designed by Trey Cannon) in a garden area nearby. The Rock is ported so gives incredible bass (what an enclosure!), and it uses a dual voice-coil woofer and twin tweeters so you get a good stereo image from only one.

The AW850 isn't made any more but absolutely kicks butt. AW650 also a great cabinet. I've used KSB1.1 (home version of KHO-7) under eaves, technically not weather proof but sounds great- you can find those for about $75 per pair used on eBay.

And then there's the LSI-BG on dolly boards that I roll out from time to time and the MCM stacks in the workshop (just open the bay doors and let 'er rip) but those technically aren't outdoors he he he [;)]

Michael

I have to buy something today-hopefully locally- will post results- spent all afternoon yester day running the cables- found a 500 ft roll of belden 5000ue for 260.00 out the door from liberty wire and cable- nice looking stuff for this application.will post results

I hope BB has a set in stock

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, so bummed. Posting some food for thought if others are thinking of outdoor speakers. I have a pair of AW-650 down by the pool and they absolutely rock! Killer bass for an outdoor speaker and honestly much more than I ever expected. Fast forward to this summer and I wanted some speakers for the deck off our deck. Smaller space than the pool area and I was looking to save a few $$$. So I ended up with AW-525 for $100 less. They are with out a doubt the Klipsh speakers that I am LEAST impressed with.[:@] So thin and lifeless and you have the turn the volume way up get get anything out of them. Exact same source to the 650 and 525 (Duet music server with FLAC files). Only difference is that I am using my new Denon 3311 in zone 2 to power them. I believe that is 115WPC. My 650s are powered by an old Carver AV-64...a seperate amp over a receiver and it only has 60 WPC but probably much more headroom and overall a much nicer amp overall. The Denon 3311 I absolutely love for my 5.1 TV area powering 3 Klipsch in wall THX speakers (LCR) and 2 reference ceiling mounts in the rear. If the Denon can make the 5.1 sing with both movies and 2-channel, I am a bit puzzled why the AW-525 are such a let down.[*-)]

Any ideas?

Well quite frankly I am surprised to hear that the 525s are that bad. Are they authentic Klipsch or maybe a knock off? All I can add is I have had the KHO 7s and now the AW 650s and I was very satisfied with both. Maybe you can pick up a passive sub. I picked up a factory refurbished Polk Audio Artium Sub 10 for $150 shipped, that I am very satisfied with. Good Luck hope it all works out.

KHO-7 is same enclosure and drivers as KSB1.1 which you can find on eBay all the time for like $50-$75 per PAIR. I think KHO-7 has a foam plug in the port to make it 'weather proof' is the only difference, and a bracket, but KSB1.1 has 1/4-20 hole in the back so lots of hardware will fit to them. They sound GREAT I have several pairs of them here.