Efficient Toilet

Rivernuggets

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replacing an old toilet with an efficient one is just one change of many that can make an impact on your bill and, yes I'm going to say it, Nature.

Heck, you can't wash your car or water your lawn or garden at those costs.

Not a high priority for me. Car gets washed once a year in the spring. Watering a lawn is next to futile. There are more important things than a green, weed free yard, IMHO.

Can you explain how you deal with these other high use activities like washing clothes or showering?

Get an efficient washer that uses ~18 gallons per wash instead of 30. Install a water saving shower head.

These things boil down to different lifestyles, personal taste, and different opinions. I'm not saying you are 'wrong'. This is how I choose to go through life.

Oh, it gets better. Our driveway is 2200 ft long and climbs 300ft in altitude. The water pipe runs right beside the driveway. So when we have 45psi at the house I know what's knocking against that 200PR pipe down at the bottom of the driveway. Its .44 pounds per foot + 45! One time the water pipe catastrophically failed and 44,000 gallons went through it before I knew what was going on. The water works operator agreed to cut the bill 1/2 since I had found it and repaired it so quickly. Been here for 17yrs now and have gotten real good at gluing PVC pipe. [;)]

We try to conserve water best we can. We do not water the grass. That is just throwing money away. I keep a dehumidifier going in the basement all the time. That water is pumped into a 50 gallon low tub outside. From this tub the dogs drink, flowers get watered, etc. Works out real good too. I also check the meter at least once a month for indications of a leak. You know, meter turning when water not being used. Toilets are all low water consumption. We do occasionally wash a car or two but the drive through car washes in nearby towns are pretty good and cheap enough.

I just paid this months bill. 7000 gallons and right at 70 bucks. Glad I don't have a sewer bill too!

The house is 2400 sq ft. We don't have gas at all, electric is it. We have had some mild weather this month and the power bill was $168.00 + $70.00 water + $75 phone/internet. That is it for our utilites. Heck, I think we have it pretty darn good!

Some communities require you to connect to city water if it is on your street within 6 months of installation. They don't care if your house is 100 ft from the road or 1 mile. And the cost of connecting is additional to the lump sum $10,000.00 bill for the water line installation, and if your frontage is 300 ft your bill will be $20,000.00. The cost is determined by the front foot of your lot. If you fail to connect when you sell the house that amount is deducted from the sale.

JJK

Shower in groups but with your clothes on, there's always a catch.

Like at the '06 Pilgrimage?

I forgot about that...........so technically I took a shower with Fini ! Surprise

Honestly, I have to say it was my fault. If you remember, I told you it was for a wet t-shirt contest...