Efficient Toilet

Rivernuggets

Okay......I am seriously asking for opinions on a toilet that won't use so much water. Our house has two toilets that are using too much every flush.

I've been looking around online and, like so many other things in our culture, there are too many options. I'd like a single flush model using 1.28 gallons at most, or a dual flush using 1.6 / .9 (or .8 or 1).

Wisecracks are inevitable here. [:o] Either way, give me some Sh_t. I mean advice. Thanks guys.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The efficient toilets are fine as long as the fall in your sewer pipe to the road or septic tank is enough to allow large quantities of mush to flow. If your 4" sewer pipe has a slight dip in the fall you will pack that pipe tighter than an old VW full of college students. If you are one of the people who take very large "dumps" don't do it.It will take 3 flushes to shove that stuff down the drain so you won't be gaining a thing.

JJK

I am SO glad I'm on a well.

I pull my water out of the ground and put it right back into the ground.

I yanked ALL the water saving features off my showers and installed a 3/4" hot and a 3/4" cold pipe to my basement shower. It also has 3/4" valves so it's 3/4" all the way through until it drowns you.

I would not have done all of this if I were on municipal water but since I'm only "borrowing" the water in between pulling it out of the ground and putting it back in, I don't feel so bad about it.

I put in one of these, a Kohler.

http://www.kohler.ca/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?from=thumb&frm=null&module=Toilets&item=6240102&prod_num=3466&section=2&category=13&resultPage=0--1905431389

It's a Kohler. A little pricey but I think paid about half the MSRP shown at Home Depot. They have quite a few models. Its also easy to clean the outside. No hidden nooks and cranny's for spiders to hide. It's quiet. And refills by the time you're done washing your hands.

Artto beat me to it. Kohler is THE BEST toilet available - on about every measure you can mention on a toilet. They have the best flush power for any unit quantity used per flush. ABSOLUTELY best/easiest to clean too.

You notice the toilet when it causes you problems. My toilet issues quit entirely when I had Kohlers installed here. I have never used a plunger in the 5+ years since I had Kohlers installed...although I did replace the valve rigs (easy).

I have to agree with the Kohler's I put two in my house and they have never failed to haul the mail. The newer ones have a higher flush power. Heck isn't Kohler a Wisconsin company? Besides don't you have enough snow up there that you don't really need to worry about saving water? Heck they said it was all going to melt and flood the **it out of us. Second thought don't flush a lot up there we don't need the extra water down here.

I never understand why when I live on one of the largest rivers in the world I am mandated to just a low volume flush anyway. Hell there is plenty of water here, it's not like I'm saving it for those poor thirsty dudes in California and Phoenix.

I NEVER joke about toilets.

Without a doubt, I would never buy anything but another TOTO. The flush is surprisingly quiet and gentle, but it flushes perfectly every time. When I was looking around for a new pot, I stumbled upon the Terry Love Plumbing Forum. GREAT information from Terry and the experienced plumbers and users of the forum.

The model I have is the Toto Drake, elongated bowl. ~$200