fini

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SCORE!

Clipped & Shorn (the other fella making up the team California PickersWink) and I just got back to Casa de la fini, with a 6-1/2 foot long 1962 Fisher President console! Yes! Back in the console game!!

It's the guts that are the treat. The gem being a 400-CX-2 preamp, with a 202-R tuner, an MPX-100 multiplexer, and a sweeeeet SA-300B EL-34-based amp! It was advertised as a President IX (with an early solid state amp), but the pictures told me it was earlier. I had to fight off other suitors,and ended up paying double the asking price, but it was waaay worth it. Very nice lady and her son, she's thrilled to not have to move it to her new place. My refrigerator dolly was indispensible, making the move out of the house and into my truck relatively easy and controlled.

I had read before this that the preamp was prized, some prefering it over vintage McIntosh. Perhaps because of all the equalization settings? Not sure. I'll have to look into this...

I'll post pictures in a bit.

Now, how to hide this from the Mrs....Surprise

I can offer you off-site storage. She'll never find it here in the San Joaquin Valley.

I used a little Krud Kutter on a paper towel, and the chassiseses (hey Colter, "chassi?") and transformers will clean up real nice. I think 49 years of dust and the usual crud may have formed a protective skin, of sorts.

Cool old gear but aren't you going to end up spending a small fortune sending them out to NOSValves or someone similar to bring them back to proper working condition?

That's the problem with gear that is so old... you can't just plug it in and expect it to sound like it did 40 years ago. It's gonna take a lot of work (aka $$$$) to bring that gear "back". [*-)]

The sa300b is a nice amp (when restored to 100%) but it's meant to be heard and not seen. That's why they tuck it away in a cabinet. It is an ugly duckling! [:-*]

Cool old gear but aren't you going to end up spending a small fortune sending them out to NOSValves or someone similar to bring them back to proper working condition?

That's the problem with gear that is so old... you can't just plug it in and expect it to sound like it did 40 years ago. It's gonna take a lot of work (aka $$$$) to bring that gear "back". Confused

The sa300b is a nice amp (when restored to 100%) but it's meant to be heard and not seen. That's why they tuck it away in a cabinet. It is an ugly duckling! Whisper

No way man its time to bring the sa300b out of the closet.

Fortunately there are those like Craig who can make these puppies sing. Its not like you can go out and by something like these Fishers at mega lo mart.

You made it look like new. nice job! But it's still not aesthetically pleasing.

Did you get the gold cage? Put it on quickly and cover up all the industrial doo-hickies! That'll go a long way toward making that amp less of an eyesore. [H] I bet it sounds fantastic when restored to 100% though!

You made it look like new. nice job! But it's still not aesthetically pleasing.

Did you get the gold cage? Put it on quickly and cover up all the industrial doo-hickies! That'll go a long way toward making that amp less of an eyesore. Cool I bet it sounds fantastic when restored to 100% though!

Man, you are one tough customer! [;)] I think I'll make happy faces on the EL34s...