Would I notice a difference between these two amplifier configurations?

Kain

Option 1: Parasound NewClassic 5250 v.2 (outputs 250 watts x 5 at 8 ohms and 385 watts x 5 at 4 ohms).

Option 2: Three QSC GX5 (or some other QSC series) amplifiers with 500 watts x 2 at 8 ohms and 700 watts x 2 at 4 ohms.

I was told here that the NewClassic 5250 v.2 would be enough to drive two RF-7s, one RC-7, and two RS-7s to their potential. But I could get those QSC amplifiers with almost double the power for about half the price as the Parasound. Only problem I would have with the QSC amplifiers is placing them in the room. They won't fit in my A/V center and it would be difficult to find another place in the room. However, I would still like some comments/opinions on this.

Another quick question: Since the RF-7s are rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms RMS, do they start to compress (meaning they won't get louder than they would with 250 watts) if you input more power than 250 watts at 8 ohms? If so, then I guess there is no reason to get an amplifier rated at more than 250 watts at 8 ohms? However, I was also told that you should get an amplifier that has power rated at 1.5 to 2.0 times the rated RMS of your speaker. For the RF-7s, that would mean 375-500 watts at 8 ohms. Is this necessary for best performance?

I use an Emotiva XPA-3 pushing 200 watts at 8 ohms and 300 at 4. Its a three channel amp so I have it on my RF-7's and RC-7. It will play as loud as I want it to for as long as I need it to. I use my receiver for the surrounds. I would have to think the Parasound (very nice amp by the way) would easily be up the task in your situation. How big is your room? If you are looking to save a few bucks have you looked into Emotiva amps? Great bang for the buck. Good luck.

• Moderators

I was told here that the NewClassic 5250 v.2 would be enough to drive two RF-7s, one RC-7, and two RS-7s to their potential.

I have my Parasound (220 x 5) pushing my RF-83's, RC-64 and RS-52's with ease. PLENTY of clean power. I even had a pair of RF-7's for about a month and it had absolutely no problem pushing them.

More amplifier just means more headroom and the amp doesn't have to work as hard to drive the speakers. It's like the difference between a Honda Accord and a Ferarri. Both will reach 70mph...one just gets there faster and with MUCH more authority and ease.

I was also told that you should get an amplifier that has power rated at 1.5 to 2.0 times the rated RMS of your speaker.

There's nothing wrong with that philosophy. I've heard that too. That's to help prevent your amp from clipping and introducing distortion. If your amp is barely working, it's not going to clip at high volumes.

Is this necessary for best performance?

No...but you cannot have too much power.

Thanks for the replies.

My room is sealed and about 15 feet long x 11 feet wide.

If the Parasound has plenty of power for my speakers, is it safe to say there should be no difference between the 500 watts at 8 ohms of the QSC compared to the 250 watts at 8 ohms of the Parasound even at high volumes?

• Moderators

My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings. My Parasound has never run out of gas driving my 5 speakers. My ears will give out long before the amp will. LOL

My advice is to get whichever is the best deal for you. Either setup will work great. The parasound will take up much less space. The QSC will offer more headroom but how much more headroom do you really need and can actually hear?

My advice is to get whichever is the best deal for you. Either setup will work great. The parasound will take up much less space. The QSC will offer more headroom but how much more headroom do you really need and can actually hear?

I agree 100%

Agreed. Get whichever one is a better deal to you. Pro amps do offer the best bang for the buck but they don't quite fit in with most HT decor. lol. Pro amps are usually smaller than consumer grade amps because they usually have actuve cooling fans compared to consumer amps which usually just have huge heatsinks. I know you said you didn't have anywhere to put the QSC but I actually think its smaller than the Parasound (I'll have to doublecheck) but either way you will have plenty of power. Right now I'm temporarily using an Integra 2ch amp that pushes 140wpc to drive my 7s and I can get no where near the max level of the amp...otherwise I would be deaf. So I can confirm that you'll probably never really push the amp to capacity. But as others have stated you can never have too much power. Your ears will give out before your equipment does.

I would exercise caution when comparing a home audio amp to a pro amp. I am using QSC PLX2 1104 and 1804 and they do not even come close to the clarity of my 30+ year old McIntosh MC 250 and 2100 rebuilds (by DeWick). The QSC amps are relegated to bass cabinet and sub duty and work wonderful for me on those units. They were not cutting it in clarity on the HF horns when I tried them. Exactly the same as other pro amps I tried in the same way in the past.

I would exercise caution when comparing a home audio amp to a pro amp. I am using QSC PLX2 1104 and 1804 and they do not even come close to the clarity of my 30+ year old McIntosh MC 250 and 2100 rebuilds (by DeWick). The QSC amps are relegated to bass cabinet and sub duty and work wonderful for me on those units. They were not cutting it in clarity on the HF horns when I tried them. Exactly the same as other pro amps I tried in the same way in the past.

Interesting. When you state that the QSC amps don't come close to the clarity has the McIntosh amps, are you saying the QSC is not as bright sounding as the McIntosh amps or that they don't have the same amount of detail as the McIntosh amps? While I have also heard that pro amps do not "sound as good" as home amps, there are some reviews/comparisions where a pro amp beat high-end home amps. For example, have a look at this review comparing a QSC PL340 to some Classe, McIntosh, and Krell amps: http://forum.qscaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2679&sid=18849ff94f6a9d6110462797ac2e96ad

I'll quote the parts where the comparision was stated:

i will start out by saying the qsc has changed my opinion of pro amps. I have always spent thousands on high end amplifiers.
I have compared the qsc to krell ksa-250,mcintosh 501's,classe mono blocks(winner overall) B&K and my new xpa-1's.

The qsc did have much more detail in the lower region of the spectrum,
great bass slam!!! the midrange was good but not great, highs were a bit
tinny, even with axiom m-80's, d-9's and energy rc-70's. the qsc did
excel in the speed, detail of many recordings, where as the krell could
not keep up, but its only a 250 watt amp, the mcintosh, pretty much won
me over for the just at the event sound it produced, there still hard to
beat by any price range...period. The Classe's just won it all no
compare at all, bass, midrange, high's were nowhere near the Classe's
speed and sound quality. clearly the winner overall. the QSC was run at 8
and 4 ohm stereo, i was impressed by the clear and live soundstage it
made, like there was a wall of speakers in front of me, i would close my
eyes, and the sound came from a center speaker that wasnt even there,
great soundstage, the krell was the only one to seem like it was
actuallly playing a pair of speakers, i copuld pick out the seperate
speakers. the qsc, xpa-1's, mcintosh were great in this area. i didnt
even bother with the classe's, as they are far beyond any amp i have
ever used or heard.
the qsc is a great amp, besides it sounding a
tad thin compared to the others, as far as the sound quality goes. the
qsc is definately made for dj's and tours, as there wasnt mush in th
eway of outstanding sound quality, just a straight forward amp. but this
is what there made for, so this is what i get. i would recomend this
to anyone with a home theatre setup, or who likes loud 2 ch. listening.
I am very happy with this, and it did have tighter bass after the first
90+ hour burn in--the midrange was clearer and overall better sound.

OK, i am all settled in with the amp, what a difference from the first
turn on. After 3 weeks of constant program, the amp really came around, I
could notice a little tighter bass, and the midrange was not as harsh
as initially! This is good, the soundstage opened up quite a bit as
well, almost envelops the whole room now, pretty nice for a pro amp!
bests my Mcintosh MC2500 and the Threshold 750 watt beast, I am shocked.
I am happy, I like this amplifier. I wish I could have had the 380,
but my house is only 100 A entire, and would not support the 380. BUt
the 340 is just fine and sounds great to my ears! hi end audio - eat
your heart out. Theres a new sheriff in town! :!::!::D:mrgreen:

What I was talking about was that the MC250s and 2100 which are vintage solid state amps, recently reworked by DeWick......bring out much more micro detail than when I tried the QSCs on my HF horns (800 - 20K).

I'm not bad talking the QSC amps. Heck I love them. They are dead quiet and provide super clean power for my bass cabinets and subs. They integrated well with my Mac stuff, and haven't given me a lick of trouble. I'd buy them both (1104/1804) again. All I'm saying is that they didn't deliver as well in the HF detail department, and that I found other pro amps I tried shared the same lack of micro detail. I hesitate to name them because I don't want to piss anyone off. Everyone uses these big name pro amps. I just don't favor them for HF duty.........just my opinion though. Maybe it's just my setup.