Vintage Marantz

gagelle

I recently read that vintage Marantz Amps (from the late 60s to early 70s) are a perfect match for Klipsch speakers. ( I'm assuming Heritage) These Amps probably would need restoration. Is the sound quality good enough to justify the expense?

An amusing story that partially answers my question:

[
]

I recently read that vintage Marantz Amps (from the late 60s to early 70s) are a perfect match for Klipsch speakers. ( I'm assuming Heritage) These Amps probably would need restoration. Is the sound quality good enough to justify the expense?

It's not hard to recap the amps and good electrolytic capacitors are not very much I just did my Pioneer with Elna Silmic II's and it cost about $50. .

...vintage Marantz Amps (from the late 60s to early 70s) are a perfect match for Klipsch speakers...

Having personally used the Marantz 1060 with a variety of Heresy, Cornwall, and LaScala speakers, I must politely disagree. Like most transistor amps of that time period, the Marantz electronics sound grainy and bright to my ears. The (non-defeatable) tone controls for bass, mid, and treble can make some difference in a room-mismatch situation, but their effect on the total sound is ultimately damaging. In short, the Marantz solid state stuff just wasn't very good.

My favorite match for Klipsch speakers from that period is the Dynaco tube gear. Although potentially wooly in the bass, the sweetness in the midrange and treble worked magic with Uncle Paul's horns. My advice to you would be to scrap the Marantz solid state equipment and hunt some vintage tube gear. Many will disagree with this advice, but many others will second it. Let your own ears be your guide.

Happy listening! - Boomzilla

Oooooooo, pretty lights..........

Last month a friend who has some vintage Marantz gear was resurrecting some components that had been stored over 25 years, in a garage. He wanted to get his Model 2110 tuner with oscilloscope going so I did a few checks then decided to power it up. It came on immediately and it works perfectly.

Whether you like the sound of Marantz or not you have to respect the quality of parts and construction in their equipment. They make solid, high value equipment that stands the test of time.

And they have got those pretty lights.

I'd stay with the Marantz of the late '50s, and '60s. In 1974 there was a solid state Marantz power amp that was hard and harsh, although detailed. I wish I could remember the model number... I think it was 80 watts per channel RMS.. . I borrowed several power amps at that time, to see which I might want to buy. McIntosh and Phase Linear were fine, and Dyna tube amps were "warm." The older Marantz tube amps of the '50s and at least part way into the '60s were legendary in the quality of their sound. In June 1959 I spent much too long in a shop running A-B tests on tube McIntosh v.s. tube Marantz power amps, and concluded the Marantz was "sweeter" and what I would prefer listening to, but couldn't afford either at the time.

Oooooooo, pretty lights..........

Come on Russ, let us who have 70's vintage SS gear enjoy them with our Klipsch speakers.[:D] I don't understand why such disdain.[:|] I know with you "tubes are king"[Y] and many will agree with that but some of us really do love our vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, etc. I paid $120.00 for my mint Marantz 2252b and have not been able to find anything to match the sound quality for so little $$$, but my 80's Denon integrated amps sure come close.

Bill

...vintage Marantz Amps (from the late 60s to early 70s) are a perfect match for Klipsch speakers...

Having personally used the Marantz 1060 with a variety of Heresy, Cornwall, and LaScala speakers, I must politely disagree. Like most transistor amps of that time period, the Marantz electronics sound grainy and bright to my ears. The (non-defeatable) tone controls for bass, mid, and treble can make some difference in a room-mismatch situation, but their effect on the total sound is ultimately damaging. In short, the Marantz solid state stuff just wasn't very good.

My favorite match for Klipsch speakers from that period is the Dynaco tube gear. Although potentially wooly in the bass, the sweetness in the midrange and treble worked magic with Uncle Paul's horns. My advice to you would be to scrap the Marantz solid state equipment and hunt some vintage tube gear. Many will disagree with this advice, but many others will second it. Let your own ears be your guide.

Happy listening! - Boomzilla

I agree.

If you're talking about the legendary Marantz valve amps such as the Model 7c or Model 9 then yes, the sound quality and match is superb. Can similar sound quality be achieved with other valve amps? Of course! McIntosh of the same period as well as their more recent stuff, Audio Research, the Luxman that I use, etc. all come to mind.

IMHO a lot of companies (and engineers) got on the transistor band wagon back in the late 60's and 70's and most made a lot of mistakes. Many still claim there's no difference. Others claim the opposite. Me, I have all kinds [:D] Let your ears decide.You're the one who has to listen to it!

And be careful with the Marantz model "code". If I remember correctly the "T" designation is not for "Tube", it means "transistor".

I agree.

If you're talking about the legendary Marantz valve amps such as the Model 7c or Model 9 then yes, the sound quality and match is superb. Can similar sound quality be achieved with other valve amps? Of course! McIntosh of the same period as well as their more recent stuff, Audio Research, the Luxman that I use, etc. all come to mind.

IMHO a lot of companies (and engineers) got on the transistor band wagon back in the late 60's and 70's and most made a lot of mistakes. Many still claim there's no difference. Others claim the opposite. Me, I have all kinds Big Smile Let your ears decide.You're the one who has to listen to it!

And be careful with the Marantz model "code". If I remember correctly the "T" designation is not for "Tube", it means "transistor".

Ah ... I think it was the Model 9 tube amp I found so sweet in the early '60s. Two of those sounded great on a pair of vintage JBL horns, and I'll bet would sound equally good on Khorns -- or better. The later solid state models did not sound nearly as good, even though they were supposed to have lower harmonic and intermodulation distortion. As Paul Kilpsch pointed out in a Dope from Hope, there are other kinds of distortion, for example TIM ... and I'm not sure if we have found a way to measure them all, or even name them.

Marantz had its ups and downs ...great at first, under Saul, then downhill when it became a cheap bargain brand trading on its brand name, then has improved once again (in the '90s? ... the '00s??) with a very good midpriced line and an extraordinarily expensive line sold through special dealers.