Chorus feedback

Jim Cornell

Even though ive changed speakers, yes i gave up 4 cornwalls for 4 chorus!

My question is,

Why isnt their such a high talk about the chorus like the cornwalls!

Ive owned 4 cornwalls with really no room for them for quite a while!

Ive also never seen anyone change crossovers in the chorus, like ive seen many change the corwalls so much!

I think the chorus is more impressive looking, and is the right size for a home!

I am also getting the same sound (basically) as having 4 cornwalls!

When i first got the cornwalls i was so honored to own them, i bought another pair just to have them!

Not thinking at all where to place them!

The only thing i ever saw was they need better inside wiring!

So why are people taking an original great design and tweeking them so much, maybe you guys should just get k-horns!

I HOPE DOWN THE ROAD WHEN I GET ANOTHER SET THEY ARE ORIGINALS!

With 4 chorus, i now can get k-horns, then thatll hold me over untill the down the road time gets near!

I think maybe after owning both chorus and cornwalls the chorus are kept silent because they did replace the cornwalls!

I can tell by the sound between the 2!

Chorus owners dont bother upgrading to cornwalls if you dont have much room, youve already got the sound!

Or maybe is it that the chorus and fortes werent actually accepted into the heritage line!

I couldnt imagine saying to my wife, look honey, i got 1000.00 speakers, all i need to do now is put another 700.00 into them!

Some things i guess ill never understand!

Maybe its newer technology put into an old design!

As is, why did klipsch change them 4 or 5 times while in production!

I am glad to now own a speaker that i dont see a lot of changes going on with, that tells me they are good!

chorus 1 and chorus 2s not bad for the whole production time!

I also dont see many tweeks to the k-horns!

I need to get a set in my home to enjoy!

In the meantime im enjoying the chorus the same as cornwalls, great with music and HT!

Regards Jim

I just returned from picking up a set of Chorus to use as surrounds in my system. I have Cornwall II's as mains, so I will move the Chorus in as mains for a bit just to see how they do. I have a feeling that the Chorus will be very similar to the Cornwall II's. I'll post my findings when this happens - one of my Chorus needs a set of new binding posts installed first.

The Chorus come in a size that's very easy to work with. I like the "antique grand" look of the Cornwalls better but 4 in my room is not feasible. The quality of the Chorus is no secret to these ears though - they are very underrated (but this doesn't seem to be reflected in the prices on ebay, though).

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

LOL really!

I did loose a good chunk of low end, but i do like these chorus!

I didnt uderstand theres no comments about them! Weird!

But no, they dont beat the cornwall thats for sure, but they look more home, and are smaller LOL!

Looking for K-horns in walnut, if you find some ill drive out to pick them up!

Regards Jim

Jim, I own Cornwall II's from 1989. I took a trip to Hope to see if I could talk to PWK. I was lucky enough to talk to Paul and asked him why did they replace the Cornwall with the Chorus. His comment was he wasn't sure. I believe this was about the time he was about to sell the company and perhaps he didn't have much say in the matter. I have never heard the Chorus's though would be interesting to hear. Perhaps the Heritage speakers are those that PWK had more input in. Just a thought.

Dan

I have a pair of Chorus I's that I absolutely love, and I was surprised to find almost no talk about them here. I read your other post concerning upgrading them, and I've always wondered about the ports too... they almost seem like an afterthought! They seem to do a great job, but I'd have to hear it from someone on the inside to believe that they are truely the optimal solution for the bottom end of this speaker. I'd love to know if we could stick a couple tubes in there and get down to 35hz or lower!

The problem with the front ports is that some of the pressure created by the front wave of the woofer is reduced through equalization by the negative pressure at the port. This equalization needs to be delayed by extending the distance the negating pressure has to travel. There are some ways to lessen this effect. One is what you mention if you could put port tubes in all the openings that extend almost to the rear of the speaker. Another, and better way IMO, is to build a baffle INSIDE the cab that goes across the width of the speaker and from the soundboard to within afew inches of the rear of the speaker. Well, what do you know! These pics from an ebaY auction show what I was talking about with the baffle. You can see it in the last picture but I would extend it even further to the rear of the cab. Are you sure you do not have this in your speakers already? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1349124752

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 04-27-2002 at 07:51 PM

I see what you are talking about with the baffle across the bottom... but I'm positive there's nothing like that in the Chorus. You can almost stick your head into one of those ports & see the woofer! You can actually put your entire arm in there and try to wrap your hand around the magnet on the woofer.

I might just try the tube idea, I'm just not sure about the science behind it... I guess I could just go almost to the back wall and give it a test-drive! I wish I had some way of definitely measuring the difference, all I have is my ears & body feeling the bass. I guess I could listen to a low freq. sweep from a CD & see if it seems to make different things rattle around the room when it gets to the bottom end!

• 3 weeks later...

I have Chorus 2s. I have never heard the Cornwalls or any of the Heritage line actually. But my Chorus 2s are soooo good I cannot imagine how anything could be better than these! I too have been confused why no one talks about the Chorus lines on here as well. The Chorus 2s have deeper base from their specs than the Chorus 1. I wonder how they (the Chorus 2s) compare to the Cornwalls. Anyone? Oh how I wish I could hear a set of Khorns!

Regards,

Sean

------------------

Sean Keegan

Klipsch Chorus IIs

Sony TA-E1000ES Pre-Amp

2 Mono 300W Sony

TA-N330ES Amplifiers (Front)

1 Sony TA-N330ES Amplifier (Rear)

I have a pair of Chorus I's and II's. I am currently using the I's as my mains (I've flipped back and forth) as I feel the bass is a little tighter. I have a SVS sub, so I'm not too concerned about the deep lows with either pair. They are a great speaker but I am looking to get a pair of Cornwalls to see how they sound in my living room. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Shank - I have Chorus I's, and I agree that they are the unsung heroes, but are getting more earplay on the Forum now.

Did you know that the Cornwall II and the Chorus I use the same midrange and tweeter? Some have said that the Chorus was designed to replace the Cornwall so as to take up less floor space. True? I don't know...

Doug

------------------

My System

Wasn't the Chorus just a Forte without the passive radiator and hence, only rated to 45 hz instead of 32 hz for the Forte? (The "classic" page seems to be offline right now, so I can't backcheck the size of the box or the components inside).

Ah ha! The classic page is back online.

Chorus II also had a passive radiator which improved the bass over the Chorus I.

Forte was a little smaller in box dimension and bass driver size (as well as passive radiator size). Nearly the same (if not the same) mid and upper drivers.

The Quartet also had a passive radiator. Damn, classic page is offline again. You'll have to compare the specs yourself.

They guy who lived next door to me years ago had a pair of Forte's. I was impressed with their sound. They had deeper bass than my Heresy's, but the bass was still fairly tight and controlled. They couldn't take as much abuse as my Heresy's, though. He replaced the passive radiator more than once.

Anyhoo..that's my suggestion for anyone looking to extend the bass on the Chorus I: look into the Chorus II passive radiator.

quote:

Originally posted by cc1091:

Chorus II also had a passive radiator which improved the bass over the Chorus I.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is improved bass. I own both of these speakers and am currently using the I's as my mains. It's true the I's do not go as low as the II's (45hz versus 39hz) but with my ears, the I's seem to be a little tighter on the bass up to 100hz. Most here use a Sub for the lower octave (myself included) regardless of what their mains are (Khorns notwithstanding).

In either case, both these speakers are outstanding, and I don't know if there is a better value out there. New or used...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 05-21-2002 at 08:12 AM

I am an infrequent poster to the list. I have had Chorus I's for the past 3 years. Last year I added a VMPS Larger subwoofer (15" & 12" carbon fiber active drivers and a 15" PR) to my system and the overall combination is fantastic.

Let me sum up my Chorus opinion by saying I have never listened to as much music as I have with the Chorus speakers. My enjoyment of this hobby increased by several magnitudes.

I believe that adding a good subwoofer will add more enjoyment to your listening than trying to mod your speakers for lower bass.

Scott

------------------

Definition of an idiot: Noun; Someone who doesn't know something you learned yesterday.