Texas is burning, 1.4 million acres

dtel

1.4 million acres? Little over 1%...

Yeah, in fact it's pretty bad. I've heard it compared recently to the drought of '56 but my memory places that one as being considerably worse in Texarkana anyway. We had dust storms and almost everything died.

In Houston, it doesn't seem that bad yet. No restrictions on watering though it's definitely been a dry spring. I've read that the pattern may change and there is no question that the steering patterns would certainly allow a fortuitous early TS to come ashore. It's frustrating to look up and see untold millions of gallons of fresh water headed north in a hurry and not a drop falling to ground here. Today the clouds were rushing north and we had a pretty stiff surface wind from the west.

Perhaps come soon now...

Dave

Our long period of drought in west Texas, along with intense, relentless winds, have really played havoc on our state. I live just south of Dallas and we can smell the smoke from the fires that are west of Fort Worth.

We did get a little surprise shower in the early hours this morning for the first time in about a month. It was very welcomed here.

I wish I had your good luck charm, and you had a doo wacka doo wacka doo wacka doo...

Dave

When you get your fill of rain send it on around the bend we need it do here. Windy? I'd say so, I pushed open a door at work and the wind was so high that it slammed the door back while I stepped though with my hand still holding on to the push bar. Wrist twisted, elbow jammed into the door frame; resulted in some broken bones in hand / wrist. Gusts of near 60.

1.4 million acres? Little over 1%...

Yeah, in fact it's pretty bad. I've heard it compared recently to the drought of '56 but my memory places that one as being considerably worse in Texarkana anyway. We had dust storms and almost everything died.

In Houston, it doesn't seem that bad yet. No restrictions on watering though it's definitely been a dry spring. I've read that the pattern may change and there is no question that the steering patterns would certainly allow a fortuitous early TS to come ashore. It's frustrating to look up and see untold millions of gallons of fresh water headed north in a hurry and not a drop falling to ground here. Today the clouds were rushing north and we had a pretty stiff surface wind from the west.

Perhaps come soon now...

Dave

One of the wettest winter and spring over on the east coast. Hmmm global climate change.... heavens forbid.

Typically, this time of the year is our "monsoon" season. We normally get so much rain that things start to mold outside because they don't dry out. This year is just the opposite. I'm having to water things that normally would die from too much rain.

Typically, this time of the year is our "monsoon" season.

This year I have to wash my windshield every morning from pure west Texas dust accumulated in the night. That is NOT what I moved to Galveston Bay for.

Dave

Everyone knows you moved to Galveston Bay so you could clean the salt spray off your windshield every morning[:P].

Carl

• Moderators

Galveston from a few miles out. I know he didn't move there for the bikini's, or the great fishing, kind of the same thing now that I think about it, as far as snagging one.

post-11804-13819640727432_thumb.jpg