Shed

Rivernuggets

Same as my Efficient Toilet thread in that this question has little to do with speakers.

Looking to build a shed in our back yard for bikes, grill, kid's outside stuff, etc. My wife only wants one 10' by 10' at the largest. Was thinking of having it above ground to avoid moisture and floor rot. It will be in a fairly shady area of our back yard.

Been doing some research and want your opinions on Menards or Home Depot's prefabricated wooden sheds. Would I be better off purchasing my own wood and supplies instead of doing one of their 'sheds in a box'? A 10' x 10' through Menards is around $1000, with shingles being extra (with most prefabs). I've seen those metal roofs on houses (green or blue colored) and thought that might be a good way to go. Again, any thoughts or opinions are welcome. I'd like this to last a while without too much hassle. I'm ok with painting it every 6-7 years.

Also looks like wood is a much better way to go than metal. Any yays or nays?

I guess this would be a relevant speaker thread if I ran electricity out to it.....yeah. [:P]

I have looked at the cheaper HD sheds, they are GARBAGE! Best way to go, is if you have a local saw mill, buy and build it out of rough cut 2x4's (rough cut, i.e full thickness)

As for the subfloor, you could use cedar or PT, 2x8s on 16 in centers. The it's just a question of what to use for the exterior. Mine is pine boards. You will spend way less the $1000, and have a way better shed. Here is mine that I built for very little. The subfloor is made of used PT 2x8's (almost free on CL) Somebody is always tearing out a deck.

Roof is metal roofing, and I added a clear panel for light.

I built a pitch roof for extra storage (lawn furniture in the winter) but you could do a simple slant roof.

post-28352-13819640587612_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I agree with Brac DIY, even if you buy all the wood retail you will be cheaper and have a better shed, I would use metal on the roof if your area allows it.

I built one for someone a few years ago it's really easy. He wanted it movable so it was built on a couple of treated 4x6, so he would move it around his yard.

I did build one for a customer that was really a potting shed where she could pot her plants and close it up in the winter to store plants, this was it. All pressure treated wood, even the panels with the designs, we found them for $6 each and included them in the design, they can be removed and covered with plastic for the winter if she wants. The inside has a potting table on three walls.

post-11804-13819640593082_thumb.jpg

Sweet shed, dtel!! You old ar-teest!

Yours too, Brac! And I'll third the build-it-yourself choice. I built mine with some left-over redwood lap siding from a job in ritzi Tiburon, CA.

That's no joke Boxx a friend's dad in dallas had Khorns in his backyard shed so he could garden to beautiful music!

Well now... that is a guy I would like to meet and have an adult beverage with..... my kind of guy...

That's no joke Boxx a friend's dad in dallas had Khorns in his backyard shed so he could garden to beautiful music!

Well now... that is a guy I would like to meet and have an adult beverage with..... my kind of guy...

While yer at it, might as well install an efficient toilet...in the sweet spot.

Brac and dtel, very cool! Thanks for posting. Alright, time to cruise Craigslist and see what's there. A place called Chase Lumber is close to my house. Local, non-chain establishment. Perfect for giving some biz.

I may have more questions as this thing goes. Not sure how fast it will progress. Must put it on paper first.