Orbital Sanders - Need Advice

SuBXeRo

After much debate i am strongly considering redoing the stain/poly job i just put on my heresys, minwax polyshades sucks and i regret using it. First time around i did everything completely by hand and i just dont have it in me to do it again.

I have a few concerns. One of them being that i dont have enough veneer and two, how deep did the stain actually go. Since the polyshades is a stain/poly mix it seems to just sit on the surface suspended in the poly. My goal i just sto strip the poly and the stain if possible, i will be using a dark stain anyways so i don't need to 100% eliminate the previous stain.

I want to use an orbital sander this time, i have used other sanders before like the black and decker mouse (is that orbital?). Any suggestions on brand/type? I am looking on craigslist, i am not going to buy a brand new one.

Is it worth it to restain, i am just so disappointed with the finish. I'd say i would play it by ear, if i cant get all the stain out i would just stain it black. Black goes eith everything, it would just be sad to do it on walnut.

I've used a lot of them over the years but the best one is the Porter Cable low profile 5 " diameter wheels (velcro stuff) with the exhaust holes for sucking up the residue. The motor vibration isn't as smooth as it should be however. The speed is adjustable.

It is so light I can one hand it using the same hand and operating the switch at the same time. The dust collector doesn't get in the way either and is a secure fit.

The holed paper lasts longer than the solid paper and your hand will not cramp up as it does with the old style sanders. The air powered sanders are lighter but the dam hose is a real drag (if you don't have the lightweight flex type) and your electric bill is a bit more running the air compressor. If your sanding veneer you might bust through and then you will be really pissed.

JJK

I would use a chemical striper. Because if you use a sander and you are not comfortable or not know what grit or pressure to use you can realy screw it up.

I agree. I would start with the stripper first and see where that gets you. Veneer is thin stuff and a sander will go through it pretty fast. Even hand sanding can be tricky. That said,my Dewalt random orbit has been a nice tool for a long time.

Just used dewalt orbital sander to take paint, stain and other gunk of a set of LaScalas. Did sand through the veneer in some points. I'd say that wasn't due to the sander but my lack of experience.

Sanding grits can help you have more finess if you lack skill. Start with 120, it'll just take longer. I did an 80, 120, 220 progression.