Why horns ... by that other guy -

Colin

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/whyhorns.htm

By Dr. Bruce Edgar

Edgarhorns

I remember hearing a very good horn loudspeaker for the first time in 1978. It was sheer magic to my ears. I could not believe the incredibly realistic sound that seemed to radiate effortlessly into the room. But when I talk to other audiophiles about horns, the reaction I hear is usually one of disgust. Like a bad hair day, everyone seems to have had a "bad horn" day ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

I have found that most people don't like horns based on pre-conceptualizations founded on comments or readings about the technology behind them (which, of course, they don't "approve").

And most of those who have listened to them without being captivated by the sound feels that they sound "agressive" in some way. I feel this is because they are accustomed to hear smooth mids and highs from more common drivers.

But being in front of real instruments in a life performance rapidly reveals that there is nothing subtle or smooth about their sound.

So, in the end, I feel that they don't like them simply because they think they don't like them. In other words, they pay zero attention to what they hear and give more importance to what they believe.

I think horns simply sound too real for most goons, many like their sound softened and mellowed by a gauze of distortion and compression. Sorta like the way they shot Cybil Shepard through a lens coated with vaseline to soften her features on film. Who remembers the scene in Prisoner of Shark Island of Lincoln's assasination? Ford gives a shot of the dead Martyr's face and then then dims the light and puts a gauze between the camera and Lincoln so he's seen indistinctly. Very emotional and gives a feeling of loss. Conventional hi-end sounds like that scene looks, minus the emotion and Ford's genius of course.

IMHO....an analogy may be drawn from the following:

1. A human being orally produces sound without the aid of a cone or dome, but more like that of a horn.

2. All musical instruments in the high bass and low midranges and above produce their sounds without the aid of a cone or dome....some use horns, some use resonance chambers to magnify the sounds and send them out through an opening, some use valves...but none use a cone or dome, INSTEAD their reproduction and radiation are more like that produced by a horn.

3. Even concert halls specifically designed for orchestras use a horn-like hemi-elliptical shape over the musicians to radiate the sound forward.

4. The ancient Greeks and Romans used a round to elliptical shape, resembling an upward-facing horn for their stadiums so that the human voice, without the aid of amplification, could reach those listeners at the very highest seats.

Sooooooooo...Why use anything other than a horn to REPRODUCE these sounds accurately and efficiently?

Just a thought....

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-23-2002 at 09:44 PM

i read that article -- i'm waiting on part II

deep post Tom -- you really should get more sleepcwm20.gif

someday i'll upgrade to some 'real' horns -- but right now i'm having to much fun with the RF7's

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>c>Super Ampf>s>c>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

Sony DVP-S9000ES

Klipsch RF7f>s>c>'s

SVS 20-39PCf>s>c>ic>

MIT/Monsters

Toshiba 36"f>s>c>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

HI All

Just read the article.

One thing that stands out to me is the information about how you need top quality components to drive horns. any distortion or flaws on the system come through LOUD AND CLEAR......

In a nutshell - Crappy equipment make horn sound CRAPPY. Also crappy recordings sound crappier on Khorns.

It is like a double edge sword. Great recordings sound greater on Horns. Crappy recordings sound crappier on Khorns than a "regular" speaker. I won't name any names here....

I really could see how somebody could come to this conclusion if they were subjected to a substandard setup.

For the record - I love my Khorns and have spent a lot of money and evan more time perfecting my setup. They simply are the BEST speakers ever engineered.

JM

Horn haters are brainwashed peeps who never heard hood horn loaded speakers.

Well guess again DUH most pop and all heavy metal is EDGY and AGRESSIVE.Horn haters cant listen to the truth and as TBrennan said

"I think horns simply sound too real for most goons, many like their sound softened and mellowed by a gauze of distortion and compression."

Very true

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I think the myths concerning horns are perpetuated by individuals who become paranoid and intimated at the thought of having to think outside the box, regarding system components and understanding room acoustics and the like. They simply prefer to have traditional systems that are as close to plug and play as possible. Fear of the unknown, often motivates people to support and remain in statu quo.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-26-2002 at 05:33 AM

ShapeShifter has the right idea. Horns are too radical and different for most of the buying public to accept - not to mention the in-your-face sonic presentation of horns. People want to be comforted by the fact that others have the brand/type that they do - instead of looking for the "sonic truth".

When I heard Klipsch for the first time, back in the mid eighties, I said "That's it!!! That's the sound I am looking for!". I was sold in seconds. Give a damn about how they look (not that Klipsch Heritage look bad, but the size deters some) - it's all about the sound, baybee! I spent 10+ years looking for other speakers in the consumer market that do what the Klipsch do, that I could afford - since 2000+ for speakers wasn't to be.

Guess what - they don't existSmile.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002