Tube Phono Preamp?

tom b. 57

I am tossing around the idea of a tube phono preamp.

The issue I am stuck on is, how much will I benefit sonically if everything else (amp,preamp) is solid state?

I enjoy my Scott 299D's phono section now that the Scott has had a lot of the caps replaced and matching tubes installed, but, that is in the secondary system.

My main system is a Phase Linear 400 and an Audio Refinement Pre-2 PSP.

I am currently using a Creek OBH-8 phono preamp. It sounds good, but, I know it aint The Sh**. If you know what I mean.

Any thoughts, comments or ideas on this subject?

Tom

Well the bellari vp130 gets a lot of good reviews. I used it for a while with an adcom amp and liked it much much better than just using the phono input on the NAD preamp.

later I used it my jolida tube amp and I was worried if it would be too much tubeness- but again, its was all goo- nice warm sound, beautiful vocals, the nice strum on the guitar!

... which reminds me that I need to locate where it is and put it up in the garage sale section!

The Creek is a good phono pre... I would consider trying a different power amp first. The PL is probably overkill.

I am using a Merlin tube preamp and 2A3 amps, but my phono pre is an Audio Technica, solid state and inexpensive... and to me, sounds as good as the phono pre on my BBX sounded. It's just there and does the job. Sorry Mark...

Bruce

I have a Bellari VP30 tube preamp that I used for around a year before buying my Cary SLP98 pre with a phono section. The Bellari only uses one 12ax7 tube, and the gain isn't as much as phono pre's using 2 tubes. This was only a factor for me when I wanted to record LP's onto my RTR player. I had to turn the gain on the tape deck all the way up to get enough signal to record. Also, replacing the single tube on the Bellari didn't seem to make any sonic difference, whether using a Chinese tube or a vintage Amperex Bugle Boy. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Of course the phono stage in the Cary blows away the Bellari phono, and at a cost of 10X more, it should!

If you're not in a hurry and willing to spend $500-600 a George Wright WPP 100 C will knock the pants off most anything in that price range and more. I had a JM Blueberry, phono and it was good, but not in the same league as the Wright. They pop up on Audiogon every so often, usually gone the same day.

t

The Bellari only uses one 12ax7 tube, and the gain isn't as much as phono pre's using 2 tubes.

I think it is probably a hybrid, with some SS section in it.

Admittedly, my Audio Technica is totally SS, but seems very tranparent. Connected to my JM Merlin, it is wonderful. You could check out what it available from needledoctor.com to see what else they have.

Bruce

I am using a Yaqin MS-22B (Chinese) phono preamp I picked up on Ebay from a more reputable Canadian seller and am thoroughly blown away. The price was under $200 shipped. I do have it paired with a tube amp, but it might be worth a try.

I am using a Yaqin MS-22B (Chinese) phono preamp I picked up on Ebay from a more reputable Canadian seller and am thoroughly blown away. The price was under $200 shipped. I do have it paired with a tube amp, but it might be worth a try.

The Yaquin is sounding like it might be a relatively inexpensive way to check out if tube phono preamp mated to ss amp and preamp will benefit my desire for sonic enhancement.

I did a little research and found that most people have nothing but positive remarks about this unit.

This is certainly food for thought. The price is right, ( seeing that I am a bit of a cheapskate).

It about killed me to spend $200.00 on a Denon cart. LOL

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

The Yaquin is sounding like it might be a relatively inexpensive way to check out if tube phono preamp mated to ss amp and preamp will benefit my desire for sonic enhancement.

I did a little research and found that most people have nothing but positive remarks about this unit.

This is certainly food for thought. The price is right, ( seeing that I am a bit of a cheapskate).

It about killed me to spend $200.00 on a Denon cart. LOL

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

If you get one, I would go the Canada route, not direct from China. Here is a link to his "store.": http://stores.ebay.com/Canadian-HiFi-Online?_trksid=p4340.l2563 No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Also, replacing the single tube on the Bellari didn't seem to make any sonic difference, whether using a Chinese tube or a vintage Amperex Bugle Boy. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Of course the phono stage in the Cary blows away the Bellari phono, and at a cost of 10X more, it should!

That's because the tube really doesn't do all that much in the Bellari ! The Bellari phono pre is more "Solid State" then "tube".

Also, replacing the single tube on the Bellari didn't seem to make any sonic difference, whether using a Chinese tube or a vintage Amperex Bugle Boy. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

That's because the tube really doesn't do all that much in the Bellari ! The Bellari phono pre is more "Solid State" then "tube".

Craig, what do you think of the Yaqin phono preamp?

I thought I would ask you since you are one of the experts on the forum.

Do you know anything about this unit?

Tom

Tom,

Sorry never heard that one. But I'd bet it out performs the Belleri handily. If you get one and want it tweaked up send her on in for a special deal but wait until late in the summer. I bet it's full of cheapo parts that could be upgraded for better perfomance. It has to be at the price point. I love messing with something new now and then.

Craig

Tom,

Sorry never heard that one. But I'd bet it out performs the Belleri handily. If you get one and want it tweaked up send her on in for a special deal but wait until late in the summer. I bet it's full of cheapo parts that could be upgraded for better perfomance. It has to be at the price point. I love messing with something new now and then.

Craig

Craig, I will certainly keep that in mind.

Thank you.

Tom

I have a Yaqin 12B paired with my Onix SP3 into LaScalas and I have been very pleased with it. It works well with my $25 Garage sale Thorens 105MKII table-I found the Yaqin on CL for $200.I have this thing about getting the most bang for my buck.Seems to work!

The 12B is a line stage preamp with phono section. The stand alone 22B phono section would be a better performer for LP's (at least to some degree) from its dedicated power supply rather then sharing a power supply with the line stage preamp.

The 12B is a line stage preamp with phono section. The stand alone 22B phono section would be a better performer for LP's (at least to some degree) from its dedicated power supply rather then sharing a power supply with the line stage preamp.

Thank you for clarifying that.

I was kind of thinking that the stand-alone phono preamp should perform better.

But, I am not a seasoned tech. Just a music and audio gear lover and my lack of technical knowledge is always an issue.

Tom

I've had access to and ouned dozens of phono pre-amps ranging in price from 150.00 to 4000.00 and I can tell you there are a coue things I found 1 alot of tube phono stages create noise either by hum or by microphonics (wright is very sensative and microphonic) , and most tubes will show there superiority sonically. Listen to cymbals on tubes they shimmer all the way on ss they get a sizzle to them. The best bang for the buck and dead quiet on effecient speakers that I have found is the Merlin with mm and mc capable, if I were sure I would stick with mm only cartridges I'd look for a hagerman cornett or cornett 2. At there price points you would have to spend 3 to 4 times the money for better. Joe