Good first Tube amp without blowing the budget

CAKE

I borrowed a Chinese amp a few weeks back (Yaqin MC-10L), and liked what I heard. Even with mismatched tubes (had to buy a couple locally to get it running), and out of Bias (checked it with my multimeter) but didn't have the tool to adjust, I thought it sounded pretty good.

So, the other day I disconnected my QSC RMX 2450 and drove my Cornwalls straight from the HK AVR7000, but when the wife came in she said "What happened to the stereo, it sounds dull". I explained to her that I had removed the "big amp".

Her first reply was "Well I think you should get one of those ugly glass amps" !!!! and then I hear "That one you borrowed looked ugly, but I think it sounded really good"

So apparently I have the go ahead. Now what to do

In conversations with another forum member the suggestion is Peach preamp, NOS VRD, which is probably best case. But I'm not ready to afford the $ 5,000 for amp and preamp now, so....open to suggestions and considerations

Currently using

• HK AVR 7000 as a pre-pro which I plan to do until I build a separate 2 channel
  • Cornwall I (new caps)
  • LaScala (to arrive soon for future use after refurb)
  • Medium size space (14 x 24)
  • Very soft room (large down sofa, chair, loveseat, ottaman)
  • Moderate listening levels _ ocassionally louder levels during entertainment

We listen to good old rock-n-roll, female vocal, some hard rock, some heavy metal, some blues

A few of the questions I have:

• EL 34 based
  • KT 88 based (maybe added low end for the LaScala)
  • SET
  • Push-pull
  • Fixed bias

I have looked at some of the Chinese amps, including the Jolida, but I am looking for suggestions, or other questions I should be think about, or if someone has something for sale or trade or barter.

Thanks in advance

Well you mention what the budget "isn't" but you never do say what the budget actually "is"... [:D]

I had one of these http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST120 driving my La Scalas and was very VERY pleased with it. Bob Latino is great to work with and very helpful. You can get one of these as a kit and build it yourself or have Bob build it for you for a few $$ more.

I ended up moving to Dynaco monoblock amps (MK-IV) and after that I finally found a vintage SS amp with a "sonic signature" that agreed with my ears.

Another option might be one of the Yaqin amps. One of my neighbors has a Yaqin MC-100B running as a power amp with a Vincent Audio SA-31 preamp all driving a pair of Cornwalls and the sounds that system put are just amazing. He got the amp from a Canadian company and the preamp from Audio Advisors. VERY nice kit for not a while lot of $$.

Sadly, many of the currently manufactured integrated tube amps do not have a balance control (the Jolida 102B being an exception, and an excellent value). Since most recordings are not balanced, and since the room response is also imbalanced, having such capability is very necessary to create a proper stereo image and soundstage. Many will disagree, but with CWs and La Scalas you don't need very much power to create huge sound levels in a room the size of yours. So, to spend a fortune on an amp which can deliver 50 or 60 wpc is a waste of money. If you choose a vintage amp, such as the Scott 299, be aware that the cost of having it restored (necessary for safe operation) can be significant; so you need to weigh the total expense against purchasing a new model.

Hang in there Ty; the difference in price is substantial. I am confident that you can make the coins with your restoration expertise the question remains about what you like. Chill, save, chill (unless a KILLER deal comes up) and when it works for you and the bride swing on down to hear tubes in a sub-standard room.

I think you are probably right, Mike. I dont "need" a tube amp, so save a look, and wait. Then I can buy once and be done.

If you can only have 2 of the following 3;

• cheap price
  • quick
  • quality

I will wait for a quality tube amp at the right price, heck I may find a Mac at a garage sale for $40

In my experience there are a number of good tube amps in the under $1000 range that are in no way compromises. The amp I am currently running my La Scalas is a good example. It is made in Canada, not China (not that I have anything against Chinese stuff, my best amp is Chinese) and has been performing flawlessly for the past 3 years. http://www.idealinnovations.biz/default.htm