Home Theatre Mods

JasonJCarney

You've done a great job with that room! It is VERY well done. Something I noticed in your pics is that you have a reasonable amount of unfinished space behind your rear wall. Is there any reason why you don't move the rear wall back several feet? It seems you could solve many of your space constraints by opening that area up for seating and speaker placement. Also, how do you access that rear area? I didn't see a door.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, I'm wondering if perhaps a standard furnace filter and a open top for the projector box and you might consider vibration dampening the projector that wall is gonna shake the filament.on that bulb into early retirement.

[A]

You've done a great job with that room! It is VERY well done. Something I noticed in your pics is that you have a reasonable amount of unfinished space behind your rear wall. Is there any reason why you don't move the rear wall back several feet? It seems you could solve many of your space constraints by opening that area up for seating and speaker placement. Also, how do you access that rear area? I didn't see a door.

The wall is placed where it is because of the concrete filled steal support posts. The maroon looking things in the wall. Those can't be moved without installing a massive new header and pouring new concrete footings. Not something I am prepared to do (nor is my wife prepared to allow me to do)[A]. There was a thought of taking the rear area and putting my HT 90 degrees from the area it is in now. In fact I was getting ready to frame that area about 3 months ago when we noticed water seeping in. We have since had 2 foundation cracks sealed and an interior weeping system with a sump installed. Hopefully that fixed our problem....but I'm not prepared to bet my HT on it. So for now the HT stays where it's at. I figure in a couple years if the basement stays dry and I want to finish out the remaining space I can simply pull the boxes, drywall the holes and reinstall the boxes in the new HT front or rear. Not too big a deal. The access is at the base of the stairs on the right. I'll shoot a picture of the door and the leaky basement fixes and post them up. Fuuny thing about the boxes I built is my friend likes them so much he is going to build one in his HT!

Very cool, I'm wondering if perhaps a standard furnace filter and a open top for the projector box and you might consider vibration dampening the projector that wall is gonna shake the filament.on that bulb into early retirement.

wow...hadn't thought of possibly shortening the life of my bulb. Damn filiments! I don't notice any shaking of my picture but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'll probably buy some more foam and place that in the projector cabinet. May even pull out the whole box and line the 2x4 framing with it as I did with the sub boxes. Thanks for the heads up.

First time I've ever seen subsinstalled like that; it's inventive!

Is there any reason that you couldn't have used that back room for an IB and have 18-inch driver mounted on the wall similarly to your current installation?

Is there any reason that you couldn't have used that back room for an IB and have 18-inch driver mounted on the wall similarly to your current installation?

Well the reason for that is..... Cause I didn't know what an IB was until last night and I had 2 giant subs I needed to find a spot for! Lol

reference_head,

So the RS line can be mounted on stands? I assumed they were only rear mountable and therefor inappropriate for my room. I may have to look into the RS line a little more. Once I sell a set of floorstanders that is. Yes

I had the rs-52 on stands sounded great to me. Imo I would

pic the rs-52 or 62 over any RB speaker. Maybe others can give their opinion.

Well the reason for that is..... Cause I didn't know what an IB was until last night and I had 2 giant subs I needed to find a spot for! Lol

LOL! Yeah, I suspected as much. Well, it's something you might want to experiement with in the future. I'd try it but want to keep sound in the HT room and out from the rest of the house.

Something I noticed in your pics is that you have a reasonable amount of unfinished space behind your rear wall. Is there any reason why you don't move the rear wall back several feet? It seems you could solve many of your space constraints by opening that area up for seating and speaker placement. Also, how do you access that rear area? I didn't see a door.

Well not all my pics uploaded but I'll post the ones that did. First is the door to the rest of the basement.

1307920349.jpg

This is the water dampness issues I am dealing with on the otherside and the reason why my room is where it is.

1307928579.jpg

One of the cracks we had sealed. interesting how they do this repair. The guy brought his own microwave and injected hot resin into the crack through straw like pieces.

1307912479.jpg

And finally this is why I want to go with a speaker that is not quite so deep. The rf63 is firing right into a couch and it's not off the wall as far as it should be for the rear ports.

1307915026.jpg

And finally this is why I want to go with a speaker that is not quite so deep. The rf63 is firing right into a couch and it's not off the wall as far as it should be for the rear ports.

1307915026.jpg

Jason,

Your problem is not with the RF-63's, it is with the couch. Get you a row of theater chairs and relocate the other furniture to another room or sell it.

There, problem solved.[:P]

Bill

Believe me when I tell you as hard as it was to find a brand new set of 63's the couch search was even longer. Super comfortable, beautiful supple leather, and exactly what I wanted. Matches my recliners perfectly even though they are from 2 different manufactors. I wouldn't trade it for any other couch out there..... The 63's? I would trade them for a set of 7ii's tomorrow.

..... The 63's? I would trade them for a set of 7ii's tomorrow.

Yes! And I would trade my 08 Corvette for a 2011 Z01. It is always about compromise. Pricing in your budget, finding the right layout, optimizing the layout versus placement for maximum performance, etc. With your room (size and configuration), I can certainly see why you felt so good about the RF-62 IIs. Those are great speakers, and in a tight space, the 63s probably don't have a chance to shine over the 62s. Either way, your set-up looks gorgeous and it appears to be a near perfect compromise layout vs performance.