My Klipsch Reference Home Theater Build

Rippyman

Is the floor concrete?

Also your room is a lot bigger than mine so it might take bigger subs to pressurize that room with bass.

Also just a suggestion I would put your spikes on your rf-7 so the feet don’t sink in. (unless you like it)

Yes its a concrete floor. I plan on playing around with things, I'll keep the forum posted on my results.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reference head, what are your thoughts on the RW-12d vs your new subs?

Well the new ones are better but it’s not really a fair
fight. They have almost 3 times bigger boxes (probably more like 2 times but
they are monsters). I did like the RW-12d for the most part it didn’t hit 20 Hz
or anything but it put out a lot of bass and was still somewhat small in size. My
only complaint was some port noise on some of the hard bass parts. I would probably still have them if that one didn’t
break (I got a great deal on them). Here is a pic of them with my old speakers
when I first moved into my house. I think
I was only in the house a few weeks.

post-50231-13819663223948_thumb.jpg

So I tried the James Cinema 15 back to back test vs the two SW-112 Klipsch and to my surprise there wasn't much of a difference. The 15 definitley produced a lower tone, but overall the difference wasn't substantial.

This tells me I have issues with the room, mainly the concrete floor. I should have put a subfloor in, damnit!

I'm going to experiment with raising the subs off the floor, creating a reflection between them and the floor, will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I tried the James Cinema 15 back to back test vs the two SW-112 Klipsch and to my surprise there wasn't much of a difference. The 15 definitley produced a lower tone, but overall the difference wasn't substantial.

This tells me I have issues with the room, mainly the concrete floor. I should have put a subfloor in, damnit!

I'm going to experiment with raising the subs off the floor, creating a reflection between them and the floor, will keep you posted.

Not to be negative, on your subs (as they are great subs), but I had the same issue in my basement room (concrete floors), i tried them all, 10", dual 10", single and dual 12" and a single 15", and in the end I choose to build some custom 15" boxes tuned to 18 hrz and used the KA-1000 subwoofer amp to power them. Even then it took some time to find the right placement for them, but in the end, I ended up with the sound and feel that I was looking for. I know that not everyone is willing to spend 1k on a subwoofer amp, when you can buy a really nice powered sub for that price, but for less than 2k I have dual 15" subs that can hit 18 hrz all day long.

I love your room, nice and clean great colors, and your pictures are awsome!! good luck with your subs.....

~ ross

• Moderators

How much does these wall plates have an impact on the sound quality? I mean it's much better if the cable isn't discontinued, isn't it?

In theory or in measured results, maybe. Could you tell in a blind test, I highly doubt it. I use Banana plugs and would never consider not using them again. They are just too convenient, especially when you need swap gear or speakers to try other setups. I use wall plates on my surrounds.

Or go with more potent subs! :) I'm on a concrete basement floor and it was hard work getting the shake I wanted. It is doable.

Room is shaping up. You've got the patience of Jobe to wait 14 weeks on furniture.

Trag, aren't you using dual Danley DST-10's as your subs? That would be like 15 of the subs he's using. [:)]

Or go with more potent subs! :) I'm on a concrete basement floor and it was hard work getting the shake I wanted. It is doable.

Room is shaping up. You've got the patience of Jobe to wait 14 weeks on furniture.

Trag, aren't you using dual Danley DST-10's as your subs? That would be like 15 of the subs he's using. Smile

You give them too much credit...12-13 at best. [:D]

@Rippyman
On the pictures of your wall plates, second picture from above there is a wall plate for the front speaker (red and black post), what is the third one used for, subwoofer?

Correct, I have a sub outlet on either side. I also have dedicated power supplies for every power outlet on that wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything looks killer! I'm constructing a very large HT room and will use the biggest TV made when I'm ready to install, but am going to rough in wire drop for a projector if I ever change my mind. How far back from front wall is your projector wire drop? How did you figure for a 100" screen?

room dimensions are gonna be about 23'Long X 19' Wide X 10-12' vaulted celings.