What to watch?

reynolr

I have the set up listed in my signature (This is my first post so I'm hoping it comes up on the bottom like everyone else's). I have yet to watch a movie with my new speakers and sub, I had the synergy C-1 and B-20's with the Acoustic Research HD510 10" sub until yesterday. Anyways my question is what should I watch first? I do not have many blu-rays so am due to buy between 3 and 5 depending on price right now. I am just looking for opinions on what to spend my money on so not to waste it. I am looking to work out the sub as well as the mains, surrounds have been heard but always a plus. So please any sugestions would be appriecated.

• Moderators

Welcome

My vote would be a concert video, whatever kind of music you like.

On thing I would be careful with is some movies having really deep bass, start with the sub turned down slightly until you get the hang of where to set it, you don't want to cause damage to the sub. The driver hitting bottom is NOT a good thing I found out with my first, now crispy sub. [:o]

I've got my sub turned only half way up on the gain knob on the sub and at -10 out of +15 on myt reciever. I wanted to break it in befor i really tested it out. Also I listen to pretty much anything so if you have a suggestion on a concert bluray that really blows yo away let me know and I'll download a song or two and see if I like. I'm alwasy looking for new artists anyway.

Inception

Kill Bill

Cloverfield

Saving Private Ryan

LOTR: Return of the King

Any of these would be not only a great test for the new sub, but also films worth watching...

I cannot stress enough the necessity of calibrating with a setup disc and SPL meter... if you have the sub set too high, you could damage it during the loudest and most bass-heavy moments in any of the above-mentioned Blu-Rays; too low, and you are missing out [:(]

Just picked up Inception, have been wanting to see it anyways so I'm glad you posted it. I have a microphone set-up thing that came with my reciever, is that good enough or are the setup discs still necessary?

I can't speak for the setup package that came with your receiver, never having used them. I have always calibrated both video and audio using a setup disc such as AVIA or HDBasics in the source player (DVD or Blu-Ray). The internal program in my Blu-Ray player - and even my mid-to-high-end Anthem HT processor - are not as accurate as the test tones generated by the aforementioned discs, read by my trusty RS analog SPL meter.

I'm with Pops!

I have 50 or so concert dvd's and perhaps 5 movies. Of those, 2-3 of them were probably bought for my wifes niece to see when she's over.

I'm with Pops!

I have 50 or so concert dvd's and perhaps 5 movies. Of those, 2-3 of them were probably bought for my wifes niece to see when she's over.

I think the most sage advice would be to watch and listen to what he likes, and intends to use the system for the most... I have the inverse ration of film to concerts, with something like over 150 films to just a handful of concerts; IMHO, there is a very short list of reference-level concert films on DVD and Blu-ray - the recording quality varying significantly from disc to disc - but of course the same can be said for film soundtracks, as well.

i have the following on another post, no responses however. Just seeing if anyone has any input on here since I've got a little activity going.

I have an Onkyo tx-sr607 and ust purchased two rf-52ii's. On my reciever it says that you can use the main L/R and the back surround L/R to do a bi-amp for your mains, then you go into to set-up menu and switch the speakers to bi-amp. Anyways I have read several places that bi-amp doesn't do amything. So I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this reciever or something that was set up like it, and if doing the bi-amp is beneficial. Also if you use the bi-amp you can only have 5.1, no 7.1 which for me at the moment is okay but I am looking into two more surrounds, unless the bi-amp makes a big enough difference then I'm just fine with a 5.1 and would prolly add another sub for a 5.2. AKA getting another sub instead of the 2 more surrounds. Let me know what you all think and thanks.

Let me knw what you think. If you've ever bi-amped or now about it.

If you find your mid-range to be a little flat, sometimes bi-amping can give you additional head-room to even it out. The problem with bi-amping a 7 channel 100 watt receiver is that when you are running 5 amps, you are only pushing about 70 watts to each channel. By bi-amping the front you cut that to about 55 watts per channel, but a sum of 110 watts to your front two. You then get less dynamics out of the center and surrounds, and the center is your main source of mid-range so it could be counterproductive. Give it a try, and if it sounds better go with it! When adding a second sub, I strongly recommend adding an identical one. With two subs you could increase your cross-over some and increase the power that the mids receive.

• Moderators

Something a little out of the box but I like a LOT is the HD animusic on BD http://www.animusic.com/ No "real" instruments are used, it is computer generated, but it has a very nice range of audio and is fun to watch as well.

I had seen the Pipe Dream video a long time ago but didn't know where it came from or who created it. Pretty cool stuff. I had coworkers watch it and ask, "Is that for real?" LOL

I was actually looking into the blue man group, however they do not have one on blu ray, atleast not on amazon. is the dvd version any good? I had seen them once on a school trip in Canada and wasn't expecting much but was actually impressed.