Amp advice for pair of '76 Belle Klipsch speakers (BK-WO) that I got for free :)

Hi everyone,

Believe or not, earlier today I was able to get my hands on a pair of '76 Belle's that used to belong to a local theatre. Apparently, they had been gathering dust in a closet for -- who knows how long -- and the owner posted them on a recycling community website. So I took it off her hands for free. Win, win :)

I've been reading around to see what I need to hook these babies up, but can't help but feel overwhelmed by the assortment of choices. I feel that I need an amp that will do the BKs justice, but cannot afford to break the bank (I'm a starving electrical engineering grad student). I can probably get away with spending -- at the most -- $500. Is this reasonable?

Does anyone else have Belle Klipsch speakers still going strong? If so, what amps are you using?

I've attached some pictures. Disclaimer: I have not even dusted them off. Can't wait to make them pretty again.

BK-WO ;76

Balancing Network

260112_10100855964567020_7909923_7080556

251323_10100855965041070_7909923_7080557

Excellent score!!!! It's hard to beat free [H]. I would look for something vintage to run those. I know money is always the key factor but with patience you will be able to find something cool and maybe for a great price as well. Be sure to check out the Garage sale thread also. Others will chime in soon.

Welcome to the forum.

What a deal, congrats and welcome to ....here. I thought I got away cheap on a set but free is just about right in my bank book.

If you don't own a receiver / amp source to test them out then beg or borrow something to test them out. If all is well then you can find a decent receiver to run them for a while but if something in a driver or crossover is hosed then the first step is bux to fix it.

These babies sound good with most anything BUT they are very revealing so cold, sterile equipment will sound that way. Start out with a nice receiver that matches up, a whole lot of people like Marantz or Sansui with Klipsch. Remember that you don't need a lot of power. My main system is tubes @ 60 watts but I get along just fine with 16 or 20 watt Marantz / Sansui.

Nice score and nice looking speakers, congrats. There are quite afew amp choices and you don't need much power at all, to blow the roof off your house with those speakers. If your drivers and crossovers are in good condition, your ears will bleed with excruciating pain, before those speakers even begin to cough.

I've gone through a few amps (Tubed and Solid State), I would consider any of the vintage Luxman amps that have the duo beta circuitry. I still love tubed amps, but the vintage SS luxmans are tough to beat and very musical. Consider something like an M02, M03 or better yet, the M05. Hard to come by, but their out there. The M300 is another good piece, it's the origional I belive that started that series. Their all pure, clean class A power, very clean.

Here a good link to help you research any choices you consider. http://www.thevintageknob.org/

I'm sure your a sharp fellow, but beware of rip-offs, they are more than-a-plenty in the land of used audio gear.

What a deal, congrats and welcome to ....here. I thought I got away cheap on a set but free is just about right in my bank book.
If you don't own a receiver / amp source to test them out then beg or borrow something to test them out. If all is well then you can find a decent receiver to run them for a while but if something in a driver or crossover is hosed then the first step is bux to fix it.

These babies sound good with most anything BUT they are very revealing so cold, sterile equipment will sound that way. Start out with a nice receiver that matches up, a whole lot of people like Marantz or Sansui with Klipsch. Remember that you don't need a lot of power. My main system is tubes @ 60 watts but I get along just fine with 16 or 20 watt Marantz / Sansui.

Excellent score with your Belles. I agree with USNRET... power is not the issue with Belles. I've had a Fisher (tube) receiver hooked up to mine and the result is outstanding.... Enjoy...

Welcome to the Forum!!

Great "score"!!!

Tubes vs solid state...... Do you like apples or oranges (LOL!!). Tubes are very good, and deliver a very rich sound that takes advantage of the Belle's design. But then again, a good quality solid state amp, particularly some of the vintage ones (if rebuilt/ refurbished, etc.) will also do a very, very good job. Me? I use a McIntosh MA6450 or a MA6500 (solid state) with my 79 Belles.

[H]

WOW!!! Nice job!

As far as an amp goes I found a TAD-60 on Craig's list this spring for 500 bucks and it came with some wire and a set of Design4 book shelf speakers. Set up a Google alert on all of the recommendations and see what pops up.

I found you don't need to spend a lot for a great value, check out this review.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1129061242&&&/Tube-Audio-Design-TAD-60-Tube-amp

Wow, so much great advice! You can tell this forum is pretty awesome!!!

Be sure to check out the Garage sale thread also. Others will chime in soon.

I'll be sure to check the Garage Sale thread for deals. In the meantime, I was thinking about going to Fry's Electronics this weekend to pickup a receiver to test out the speakers. I can always return them if (a) the speakers don't work and need to be fixed (B) I want something else, say, a vintage piece.

So far I've understood that there are preamps, power amps, and integrated amplifiers/receivers, and among them you have different types (tubes, SS) and even classes (A, A/B, D, etc). Any thoughts to what combinations work best? For instance, are pure power amplifiers generally considered to be better than integrated receivers? And among amplifier classes, I have some preconceived notions that are lingering in my head. Should I avoid Class D amplifiers (sacrifice efficiency for the sake of quality)? And, will Class A considerably run up my electric bill? I don't plan to run them all the time, but I'd like to have a game plan in case my girlfriend brings it up. She's not particularly a fan of my mini fridge :)

Marantz or Sansui with Klipsch. Remember that you don't need a lot
of power. My main system is tubes @ 60 watts but I get along just fine
with 16 or 20 watt Marantz / Sansui.

If your drivers and crossovers are in good condition, your ears will
bleed with excruciating pain, before those speakers even begin to cough.

Haha, it's good to know that I probably don't need 100wpc to enjoy these speakers :) As far as aesthetics go, I think I'm in love with needle power gauges. The vintage look is very appealing to me, I took one glance at the Luxman C02/M02 pair and fell in love. But it seems that is is very difficult to come across the M02's these days, or am I wrong? According to thevintageknow.org, owners keep them. "They keep them. They keep them. Yestheykeepthem." I'm going to keep an eye out for Marantz/Sansui.

I
going to guess from your name you’re not in the Chicago land area? If
you are let me know I can let you test drive the 60 I’m busy breaking in
a Mac.

Unfortunately not! I'm in the Bay Area, but if anyone else is nearby and willing to let me test drive, it would make my day.

THANKS EVERYONE!

The Marantz and NAD stuff will do okay! I'd take either of those 4 options over the Pioneer.

Don't waste your time and money on anything affordable at an electronics store they will all sound like dung on the Bells.