For those of you who are into Rifles.....

ZachA

That looks like an early eighties 3 or 5 series. Neither one of which I can recall had a split dual exhaust. As for ammonium nitrate, just use manure instead for growing your corn.

It's a 5 series and good call on the dual exaust. From the mid 80's and early 90's, the 5 series (E28 and E34, respectively) best engine was a torquey 3.5L straight six (BMW's bread & butter of yesterday), an that engine came in the 535 model. It was a derivative of the origional M1 engine. Those cars had dual tips coming from a single exhaust can, although aftermarket simulated dual exhaust cat-back systems were available and still are.

The most recent M5 (E60) came with a Forumla 1 developed race engine, the real deal. It was a screaming V10 that was good for taking out facial skin wrinkles during hard acceleration runs. E60 copies are hard to come by and highly sought after by BMWphiles.

• Moderators

Real State Battleships use 6 Stick out tongue

Ok I couldn't remember for sure, it's an unbelievable amount.

This buddy, my Grandson standing by a shell in the USS Alabama to give you an idea of the size.

post-11804-13819658665378_thumb.jpg

This buddy, my Grandson standing by a shell in the USS Alabama to give you an idea of the size.

Oh I guess the joke was lost. The Battleship NJ which is an Iowa Class Battleship uses 6 as the video demonstrated versus the 3 from the Alabama.

During WW-II, several German survivors from units deployed in the Normandy D-Day area wrote that their worst fear was not the "Jabo's" (allied fighter bombers), or the allied artillery. It was the naval gunfire from the 14 & 15 inch gunned battleships just offshore doing fire support. The shells could reach in over 20 miles, and were very, very accurate and that was where the battles were really fought until late July 1944. One account wrote that the naval gunfire would target a single armored vehicle if a spotter could provide the coordinates. Scary to be on the recieving end of such things.....

[H]

OK, since Battleships have come up. My grandfater served on the USS Idaho BB-42 in the mid to late '30s. They went out to qualify and came back with the first perfect score ever recorded from a battleship (or so the story goes as told by my grandfather, he was proud of his ship so things may not be EXACTLY like the record books). My memory is faulty but they shot 10 rounds from the 14"/50 guns into a bedsheet size target at a distance (as best remembered by me) of 15 miles. This was with NO computers, by hand and skill from the pitching and yawing ship. I guess it didn't last long as soon another ship did the same but my grandfathers memory claims they were first. Perhaps it was first from the New Mexico class battleship. The ship was Commissioned in March 1919.

As she looked at the time of my grandfathers service.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h60000/h60632.jpg

h60632.jpg

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h97000/h97330.jpg

h97330.jpg

In the second photo, note the "blister" at the water line. This was extra armor added durring the 1934 refit. It was wide enough that the sailors would lay on it and sunbathe when off duty and in harbor. It is entirely possible that he was on the ship when the second photo was taken, somewhere in the Pacific.

From the Navy website: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-i/bb42.htm

Emerging from the shipyard in October 1934, Idaho's
appearance had been transformed. Gone were the "cage"
masts that were such a distinguishing feature of American battleships
of her era, now replaced with a tower superstructure supporting
up-to-date gunfire controls. As one of the Battle Fleet's most
modern units, Idaho returned to the Pacific in 1935 to
again take up her peacetime work of preparing for possible combat.

With World War II raging in Europe, Idaho was transferred
to the Atlantic Fleet in June 1941. Based in Iceland during much
of the rest of that year, she helped cover convoys against the
threat of German raiders during a period of "undeclared war".
Following the devastating 7 December 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl
Harbor, she was sent back to the Pacific, arriving in January
1942. For the next year, Idaho operated along the U.S.
west coast and in the Hawaiian area. In April 1943, she went north
to the Aleutians, where she supported the landings at Attu in
May and Kiska in August.

Idaho next joined the drive across the Central Pacific,
taking part in the Makin landing in November 1943, the Kwajalain
invasion in February 1944, a bombardment of New Ireland in March,
the Marianas operation in June and July, and the assault on the
Palaus in September. Following an overhaul, she returned to the
combat zone in time to provide heavy gunfire support for the February
1945 invasion of Iwo Jima
. Idaho's 14" guns were again
active bombarding Okinawa from late March into May 1945. While
off Okinawa, she was damaged by a "Kamikaze" on 12 April,
but returned to action after brief repairs.

The end of the Pacific War in August 1945 found Idaho
preparing for the invasion of Japan. She was present in Tokyo
Bay when Japan
formally surrendered on 2 September
, and shortly thereafter
steamed back across the Pacific and through the Panama Canal,
arriving at Norfolk, Virginia, in mid-October. Generally inactive
from then on, USS Idaho was decommissioned in July 1946
and sold to a scrapper in November 1947.

That's an outstanding young man standing (nervously) next to those shells.... Very impressive...

• Moderators

That's an outstanding young man standing (nervously) next to those shells.... Very impressive...

Well thank you, he really is, and he was not really happy about standing there. He loves anything military and knows way more than me about almost every war and anything military. We had brought him to the D-Day Museum and he got to meet one of only a few solders still alive from than war, he was very nervous.

That day we visited the USS Alabama there was a solider there who wrote a book and was selling them in in the lobby, it was slow that evening and he got to talk to him for a long time. The man was in uniform and explained what each medal was for and what it was like living on the ship and was surprised how much an 8 year old knew, they got along great. When we left my wife went back in and bought his book and the man signed it, he got it as one of his Christmas presents. He is a great kid.

post-11804-13819658784888_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Oh I guess the joke was lost. The Battleship NJ which is an Iowa Class Battleship uses 6 as the video demonstrated versus the 3 from the Alabama.

Ok I get it now.

It's a good thing local 20 somethings don't operate the ship, I could see it now a couple of thousand Guido's running a battleship [*-)], they would probably sail to Italy and try to take over and the uniforms would look like this....

post-11804-13819658795482_thumb.jpg

They'd never make it.... About 100 miles offshore, they'd have a mutiny over the lack of sufficient tanning beds on the poop deck... Captain's quarters would be renamed the Bridal Suite... They'd want to convert the main guns into water slide tubes... Just all kinda' lifestyle problems...

[H]