More Power:

I'm fixin to upgrade to two pair's of the RF-7II's My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V2600, which pushes 130W x7, RMS. I still like to listen to it loud in 7.1 with BluRay, and 7 channel and 2 channel stereo music. I think I should have more power for the RF-7II's for the best sound. What would be the best way to obtain this? Can you hook up a amp to what I have or something like that??

Thanks for any help.

I've never owned RF7s but from the spec sheet, the RF7lls appear to be very efficient and should sound great with your receiver. How does it sound with your current setup? An RF7 owner would probably have more knowledge about their need for power than I do. To add an amp, you need preamp out jacks on your receiver. I added a 200 watt 3 channel Emotiva this way. But my receiver was only rated 70 watts with two channels driven. It just didn't sound good pushing 5 speakers. Not only the power, but the sound quality fell off when pushing multiple speakers. I didn't do enough research before I bought.

Vega211R,

Welcome to the forum.

First, nice choice with the RF-7II's. I have heard RF-7's and RF-83's, and own RF-63's, if the RF-7II's possess some of what all these do well, then you are in for a wonderland of sound.

Your Yamaha RX-V2600 has a very nice amp section and should drive your RF-7II's just fine for 2-channel even a bit loud if you must. In 7.1 mode the power will fall off a bit(30% or so)) and you may not be hearing the full potential of your setup. What other speakers are in your system and do you have a subwoofer?

I think I should have more power for the RF-7II's for the best sound. What would be the best way to obtain this? Can you hook up a amp to what I have or something like that??

If you plan on adding the matching center channel(RC-64II) then my first suggestion would be a 3-channel amp to power your front soundstage. This will ensure the best total match of your front three speakers(unless you added another RF-7II instead of RC-64II). Your Yamaha will have no trouble driving your surround speakers. If a 5 or 7 channel amp is within your budget, then just go that route instead and you will have all bases covered.

If 2-channel music is your main focus and you want to keep the costs down some, a 2-channel amp is the way to go.

Any of these type of amps suggested are available new if budget allows or used if you want best bang for the buck. Parasound, NAD, B&K, Rotel, Outlaw Audio, Acurus, Aragon are a few of the companies that build very quality amps and can be found used for a fraction of the cost of new. Emotiva is a great choice to consider if you want to buy new and want to stay under $1000.00.

If new, this is the way to get the most for your $$$:

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

Bill

Don't forget the basic math. Doubling the available power only increases the maximum output by 3dB. It takes TEN TIMES the power to "sound" twice as loud. RF7 are one of the more efficient speakers on the market for home use. IMO the best way to increase sound output is to move to more efficient speakers and you've already done that (or are going to). I wouldn't worry about the extra power until you have the RF7s in place and see how that works.

More power = Cleaner power = Better sound. Not always, but certainly often true. Best sound I had was using a 350 WPC McIntosh Mc252 into a pair of La Scalas. Of the AV receivers, Yamaha certainly has a (justified in my opinion) reputation for having excellent sound at their price points. Your money, your choice - consider borrowing a friend's higher powered stereo amp and listen. Your ears will tell you if the additional cost is justified for you. Happy Listening! Boomzilla

• 2 weeks later...