Any potential issues with using a cheater plug?

wuzzzer

Long story short, the sale of our house fell through and we won't be able to move for a very long time. We had already sold/gave away the furniture in our basement where our theater was located. So, we decided to move everything to our main floor living room.

The outlets in our main floor living room are two-prong polarized outlets. I still wanted to use my APC conditioner mainly to be able to plug everything into the outlet behind the TV. I installed a cheater plug in the outlet and have my APC plugged into it. None of the devices I have plugged into the APC (HDTV, PS3 and Wii) have 3-prong cords, they're all 2 prong polarized. Is there anything that could happen using a cheater plug in this instance?

Assuming you have metal (as opposed to plastic) outlet boxes, and assuming that the boxes are grounded through the Romex or BX cable, and you connected the green ground wire from the cheater plug to the screw which holds the outlet plate to the box (with a good electrical connection) there should be no concerns.

Every 3-prong component in my 3 two ch systems, plus my PC work station, plus my Sat TV setup............all on cheater plugs, about 16 of them. My whole basement is on GFI outlets...........and I only got zapped twice so far. Both times by a Behringer component (2496DCX). Touch that one, plus any other one and bingo!

To make sure that I am safe I usually keep a beer in one hand..........and try to use the remote controls whenever possible. But I don't have any humm, and just a tiny hiss.

Thanks everyone! I didn't think it would pose any problems but I wanted to make sure.

I'm really enjoying having my speakers in their new room. Its a more open, more lively room than the basement room they were in before. The Fortes sound superb in it! Plus, our entire main floor is oak hardwood floors and the speakers match the wood almost perfect.

• Moderators

To make sure that I am safe I usually keep a beer in one hand..........and try to use the remote controls whenever possible.

That advice is good for a wide variety of problems. [:D]

• Moderators

I'm really enjoying having my speakers in their new room. Its a more open, more lively room than the basement room they were in before. The Fortes sound superb in it! Plus, our entire main floor is oak hardwood floors and the speakers match the wood almost perfect.

Great [H] , don't ya just love it when something just works out right.

I'll use a cheater to solve a specific problem, but I have this silly lifewish that would force me to pay an electrican a $100 to come in and check the wiring and update the old 2 prong outlets to at least a decent industrial quality 3 prong. Good time to make sure the AV system isn't sharing a circuit with the refridgerator or something equally nasty electrcially.

Because of all the insulation and all the wiring in your entire house....not having grounds....will turn your house into one giant flux capacitor....keep away from any stainless steel during thunder storms

post-22082-13819659688178_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

" but I have this silly lifewish"

Mike, you are new to this place. Give it some time. You will be willing to risk your life for audio just like the rest of us.Cool

tc

PS: Welcome

[Y] [{]

A little 110v is not going to do you much at all, just don't adjust anything if the room floods . [:P]

• Moderators

Because of all the insulation and all the wiring in your entire house....not having grounds....will turn your house into one giant flux capacitor....keep away from any stainless steel during thunder storms

What about tinfoil hats, probably not ?

Flux capacitor, does that mean it could bring you back to 1975 ?

Been there, done that. ;)

Had a professor that lived in OLD student housing when he started teaching. One night walked into the kitchen to fix a sandwich and leaned over to look in the fridge, that made his night shirt pull up in the back and his rear end bumped against the stove, unlike a hifi the difference in ground did not result in a humm.

My personal preference is to listen to a variety of music, not just harps.

BTW thanks, seems like a fun place.

• Moderators

Had a professor that lived in OLD student housing when he started teaching. One night walked into the kitchen to fix a sandwich and leaned over to look in the fridge, that made his night shirt pull up in the back and his rear end bumped against the stove, unlike a hifi the difference in ground did not result in a hum

I have seen some of the old gas stoves piped with metal gas lines, the gas lines are connected to the ground rod so the stove could have been the ground.

Or it was an electric stove 220v not wired correctly and the fridge had an ice maker connected to a water line which is grounded and he was shocked from the stove.

Either way would work.

I forgot earlier, Welcome [Y] Nothing wrong with being safe.