What do you think of this set up for a home theater:

front: 2X RF-83

center: RC-64

surround: 2X RS-62

rear: 2X RF-63

Sub 1: RT-12d

Sub 2: RSW-15

Would RF-63 as rears would be too much?

What about the subs? I heard the Klipsch subs maybe not the first choices in term of performance....

• Moderators

What do you think of this set up for a home theater:

Would be a killer system

Would RF-63 as rears would be too much?

Are you using an amp or just a receiver to power all 7 speakers? If no external amp, I would pass on the RF-63's and use that money towards a 200 x 5 amp. A properly setup and ample powered 5.2 system will blow the socks off an underpowered 7.2 system. My receiver states it is a 120 watt x 7 but 3rd party bench tests show it's more like 55 watts x 7. [:'(]

What about the subs? I heard the Klipsch subs maybe not the first choices in term of performance....

The higher end subs like the RSW and RT series are great performers...they just aren't cheap. Many have suggested you can get more for your money with other brands. I've heard an RSW-15 and it absolutely rocks.

As usual; Youth is spot on.

I believe other sub brands such as Epik; Emotiva; SVS; Hsu and Velodyne (some Velo stuff sucks) are all better values than comparably priced Klipsch subs.

I agree about the RSW15 though......

OP; Good Luck, and post pics of your new gear when you get it!

if you are going to have 2 subwoofersmy suggestion to you is that they be the exact same model and brand. Every sub performs differently and in a .2 setup, you want everything to sound balanced. I think that rf-63's as rear are absolutely overkill in almost any setup. But hey, you know what, there isnt anything wrong with going over the edge. For the amount that rears are used, i couldnt justify putting such large towers in the rear. I will say though, putting large bookshelfs like the rb-81's or the rs-62's would help in the rear. I have rs-3's and upgraded to rs-7's, the difference to me is huge, they perform much better IMO.

I agree with youthman, you should get yourself a power amp with what you want to run, especially since you are already gonna be shelling out some large amounts of dough for some top of the line klipsch. A good quality power amp can last for 20 yearsand most likely much more if kept in good condition.

i like the setup, rb81s (even though still huge by bookshelve standards) are far easier for placement than rf63s and you wont get sound cutting out as it hits the couch (in my experience with towers as rears), amps are definltely required to make the rf83s truly shine, and for subs as mentioned by others that a dual setup is best with same subs and klipsch is not usually a top pick for most of us, svs/ed/epik would be my choices

First of all, thanks to everybody for the quick advices!

I'll probably check elsewhere for the sub(s)...performance (vs price) must prime.

I may go with RB-81 instead of RF-63 for rears as well...my decision isn't made on this one...

I plan to buy an Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver (140W x 7 channels, 8 ohms, direct amp). I see that some people run the same set of speakers (RMS are between 150 to 250 watt per speaker, all 8 ohms compatible) without an amp with this receiver. Should I still add an amp(s) to maximize the performance (aka to reach the RMS) ?

As you probably guessed already, I'm really new with all this....I'm a bit mixed up with the watts, ohms, etc...

So If needed, I see that many people trust the Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5

If I'm not wrong, I would then set up the Amps this way:

XPA-2 (2x 300watt, 8ohm, for the RF-83s)

XPA-5 (5x 200watt, 8ohm, for the RC-64, RS-62s and RB-81s)

Would I need another Amp for the sub(s)?

In another setup option....

Would a Pioneer sc-37 (140 wpc x7, 8 ohm, class-D) be compatible with a Anthem VPA-7 amplifier (105 wpc x7, 8 ohm, class AB). would it be too much/ not enough....*** I need to do my classes :P

The SC-37 is designed to run at a high level without amps. If you were to add an amp to that avr, I would suggest that you do a 3 channel by 200. I don't think you'll get much (or any) benefit by adding a 105 watt amp (effectively by-passing the 140 watt amps you purchased with the 37). The amps aren't additive, rather it's either/or.

Would a Pioneer sc-37 (140 wpc x7, 8 ohm, class-D) be compatible with a Anthem VPA-7 amplifier (105 wpc x7, 8 ohm, class AB). would it be too much/ not enough....*** I need to do my classes :P

I would have to agree with the suggestion of not going with the Anthem, even though they make great amps. Just not powerful enough to make a big differece. The Pioneer SC-35 has a very strong amp section and would probably keep pace with the VPA-7. As suggested, a 200+w/ch 3-channel amp is a good direction to go. The Pioneer would easily handle the surrounds.

I have a B&K 200w/ch 3-channel that may be available if a couple of other members pass on.

Bill

I have a B&K 200w/ch 3-channel that may be available if a couple of other members pass on.

So you decided to keep the Acurus eh? Cool deal.

I think so. I am currently listening to Chris Isaak with my new(to me) B&K PT-3II preamp and my B&K Ref. 4430 through my Heresys. I thought my Marantz 2252B sounded good with my Heresys.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions on what to sell next.

Option 1---Sell Marantz 2252B and RB-5's and keep Denon PMA-757 and find matching Denon tuner

Option 2---Sell Acurus 200FIVE, B&K PT-3II and keep B&K Ref 4430 and re-integrate into main HT system

Option 3---Sell bedroom Onkyo/Integra integrated setup consisting of A-9711, T-4711, DX-C340 and move B&K PT-3II and B&K Ref 4430 into bedroom.

Isn't all this pretty sad and pothetic?[:(]

Bill

In another setup option....

The SC-37 is designed to run at a high level without amps. If you were to add an amp to that avr, I would suggest that you do a 3 channel by 200. I don't think you'll get much (or any) benefit by adding a 105 watt amp (effectively by-passing the 140 watt amps you purchased with the 37). The amps aren't additive, rather it's either/or.

Ok now I see...amps don't add...

Then would 140 wpc from the
SC-37 enough for my speaker setup? There RMS is respectively: RB-81
150watt, RS62 150watt, RC64 200watt, RF83 250watt

Even 200 wpc don't seem that much.....maybe a 3-channel 300wpc amp for the RC-64 and RF83s would be better then?

Then would 140 wpc from the SC-37 enough for my speaker setup?

It should perform just fine, but without the reserves on tap that a quality seperate amp will provide. In stereo it should sound awesome.

Remember your Pioneer is rated in 2-channel at 140w/ch, not with all 7 channels driven together. It did have very respectible numbers in bench tests with 5 channels driven and 7 channels driven.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-37-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Pioneer Elite SC-37 A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures

HT Labs Measures

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 135.7 watts
1% distortion at 171.9 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 125.4 watts
1% distortion at 164.7 watts

Even with these impressive numbers(for an AVR), a quality 200w/ch seperate amp will easily outperform your Pioneer in most areas. Will it be "in your face" noticeable? Maybe not but you will have peace of mind, detail, and headroom that you just can't get with a one box solution.

Even 200 wpc don't seem that much.....maybe a 3-channel 300wpc amp for the RC-64 and RF83s would be better then?

Believe me, a high quality, high current, 200 watts/channel amplifier will power your system with ease and with plenty of horsepower to spare.

Bill

• Moderators

Believe me, a high quality, high current, 200 watts/channel amplifier will power your system with ease and with plenty of horsepower to spare.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that 200 watts is plenty for my setup. There have been a few times I really cranked the system during a movie and I didn't hear the slightest bit of harshness, hesitation and never once felt the amp was running out of gas. Will 300w give you more headroom, sure. But I know for me, 220w x 5 is absolutely plenty of rock solid power for my RF-83 system.

if you want a end all anything over 200wpc should be plenty, the xpa2 really does make the 83s shine, definite upgrade over a xpa3 or 5, that being said the xpa3 or 5 are plenty, you just cant listen to it at that level without damaging your hearing, but it is fun seeing what they are capable of...