Fisher 500C

gagelle

Does anyone know about this tube receiver? I've read some very positive reviews. Owner claims it works perfectly-- no hum or any other problems. But it still has original tubes. I didn't know tubes last that long or perhaps it wasn't being used? Any comments would be appreciated.

Does anyone know about this tube receiver? I've read some very positive reviews. Owner claims it works perfectly-- no hum or any other problems. But it still has original tubes. I didn't know tubes last that long or perhaps it wasn't being used? Any comments would be appreciated.

I have one and I love it...

The one you are looking at may well have its original tubes, however if you are interested in it you need to find out if it has had any upgrades made to it.

When buying an old tube receiver that is 40 years old you need to make sure to calculate restoring since there are caps that are bad and some tubes might be near the end of life.

There are numerous sites on the web that address Fisher tube receivers... Good Luck!!

The 500C is a really nice reciever. Just keep in mind that these old beauties require a proper overhaul to run safely long term or to make the music they are capable of making. They often still work but in the end running them in original condition is doing more harm then you can imagine. They just keep working and working until the work themselves to death. So if it has not been overhauled by a known good techician or even if its advertised as being worked on do have someone that knows what they are doing check it over. Vintage tube gear can give you many years of enjoyingment or it can be a headache if not properly serviced.

Good Luck

Craig

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the along the same lines. I was reading the other day that certain parts can actually explode. Man, this is a risky and expensive hobby. I have the names of several tube experts and also have read that the Fisher is easier to work on than some of the Sansuis. I don't know if I can spend the money yet. If I lived closer to a big city like LA, I think it would be easier to find a competent technician.The shipping can really amount to a chunk of money.

Ditto what Craig said. I have a fisher 400 that was restored by bizzybee audio. He did a fantastic job. At the time I don't think that Craig was working on the fisher receivers or else I certainly would have had him do the restoration. Mine is in a console with nice two-way jbls Have to say I could live with it as my only set up.

This reminds me that it would be a good idea to give it a listen. It's been some time!

Josh

That's amazing. The ARs aren't that efficient are they? When I was younger, my dream was to buy a pair of AR3As. But they were way out of my financial means. I bought a pair of KLH 6s instead which were still nice sounding bookshelf speakers.

Also have Fisher 400. Goal is to throw it into the mix and A/B with Marantz and Sansui SS, also mc 30's. Through K Horns. Trying real hard not to buy more receivers or amps, but to have all gone through and up to spec or better. I'm slow, but I'll get there.

That's amazing. The ARs aren't that efficient are they? When I was younger, my dream was to buy a pair of AR3As. But they were way out of my financial means. I bought a pair of KLH 6s instead which were still nice sounding bookshelf speakers.

No, the AR's are not efficient. However, the 500C handles them with ease... When I purchased my Fisher, I got it from a fellow on ebay that has a business restoring tube equipment. When it came the unit had been updated and was ready to go to work.

Fisher makes nice vintage gear.

I had a 400 that I used for about a year before a cap went bad, it sat for years then a new guy here was looking around and I gave it to him for shipping. It went straight to Craig and he gave it a rebuild. The new owner was thrilled with it. That was a few years ago and I would guess that by now, it is just getting broken in as tube gear last a long, long time. [:P]

I have several Fisher 500 c 's and several of the smaller tube amps,I love them. I use a 500C in the shop with Cornwall 2's and have one in the living room driving Lascalas. Would recommend at the very least replacing the selenium rectififier and coupling caps. These are becoming very popular and the price of them keeps going up. When I first started collecting you could pick up a nice 500C for 250.00 now they are going for 375 to over 500.00.

In restoring a receiver like this be certain that the tech also does a restoration of the tuner section, including but not limited to a total realignment. Many restorers only deal with the power supply and amplifier sections while totally ignoring the rest (not a big deal if you are only going to use the amp and not listen to radio; but if you're spending money, why not do everything?). But, keep in mind that if you do a total restoration, it can be quite costly. In the shop we did the total restoration 99% of the time to ensure the greatest value for folks who collect vintage receivers and want them completely functional, and up to specs, in all aspects.

Yes, the good old days. I remember when working overseas we would order Fisher stuff by the pallet with export packing 50% off list.

JJK

The good old days indeed! My buddy, when he was in the Navy and stationed in Greenland, bought all kinds of incredible stuff (like Tandberg tape equipment) at prices that could make my hair fall out if I still had any!!!