For Led Zeppelin Fans

gagelle

"Presence" is an often overlooked and underrated album, IMHO. John Bonham's playing goes beyond words. It is probably their most personal album, written after a series of tragedies. The vinyl is a superb analogue recording. Get a good used copy, unless money is no object. The SHM CD is also excellent.

The first five albums did it for me.

Starting with Physical Graffiti, I felt they changed direction somewhat and their music just wasn't the same.

I like some of the later stuff they did, but, not with the intensity I remember exhibiting with their earlier works.

I seen them in Seattle in 75' at the Kingdome. Terrible acoustics, but, man what an experience.

Tom

jhvenier,

My sister who is 7 years older than me was going to take me to see that show in Detroit as my first concert. I was so bummed JB died and devistated I never got to see them live. I am guessing you were not coming up from Florida for the show as nobody comes to Detroit for pleasure...not even a Led Zep concert. Where did you live? I grew up in Plymouth, MI.

<<<=======

The others are fading (The Who, Stones, Sabbath, Cream, etc.) as Zeppelin's music is holding the test of time. Their last album came out over 30 years ago and if any of them came out today they would still sound raw and eminently copyable by the rest. Hard and fast, soft and slow, it just didn't matter. Truly the cream of the crop.

Achilles Last Stand, Down by the Seaside, Ten years Gone, The Lemon Song, The Rain Song, The Song Remains the Same, In the Evening, Candy Store Rock, Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, Since I've Been Lovin' You, Rock and Roll, Stairway to Heaven, How Many More Times, on and on we go.

I rate a band by the % of their song catalog that is actually a good song (subjective, I know). Led Zeppelin easily wins over the rest (in my opinion). And believe me, I like many bands that have a poor "good song ratio", they for some reason just resonate with me. But, this is the test that the Stones AND The Who don't pass, for example. Just too many bad (or uninspired) songs mixed in with the great ones. In my mind the only band close is the Beatles, and they are just a different kind of music, a different kind of song. Both LZ and Beatles, in my mind, have in excess of a 97% "good song ratio". You could list the bad songs on one hand while wearing a pair of mittens.

Theres no doubt, either way you look at it. The older rock n roll had soul and drive. The kind of soul that just made you sit and stare off when it came on, and then break out in a spastic air guitar. The old motown had the soul but not the overall drive. Most of todays rock has no soul, there are few exceptions like the "Black Crows", Rusted Root, etc. Funny thing about Rusted Root, when Page & Plant got back together, back in the early 90's, I saw them in Knoxville, TN. I wondered who this "Rusted Root" was? They actually amazed me, now I have all their stuff too. Another band that had over 97% of their songs (in my mind anyway) that were great was "The Doors"