Kipschorns and concrete floors

tromprof

My project this month has been rehabbing my basement. The section I have finished has a perfect layout for K-horns and I am wondering what I should expect if I decide to move my k-horns from their current location which has a wood floor covered by wall to wall carpet, to the basement which is concrete covered by carpet. They sound absolutely spectacular where they are, but I don't get to really listen to them as much as I would like because they are situated directly below my kids bedrooms. The basement is well insulated so I should be able to listen when I want. It will be a bear getting them down there, so a little advice please!

I used K-horns on a carpet covered concrete slab for many years and they were phenomenal! With any speakers, I've always found that there can be some bass enhancement when used on a wood floor vs. concrete probably due to some resonance effects. But, with K-horns that certainly shouldn't be a factor! Try it and I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the replies. I will let you know the results when get them down there in a week or so.

Heck Yeah, just get them close to the Basement Door and give a big PUSH...... neener.gif

I also think the concrete floor covered in carpet should be fine.

Keep us posted and be careful when at the bottom of the stairs, catching them! seeingstars.gif

Dennie

2 wing nuts and the top separates from the bottom. if memory serves me right i think i used a mattress from my kids bunk bed and slid them down the steps on it. i know i used the same method when i unloaded them from my truck

don't make me come over there and help you its a one man job

2 wing nuts and the top separates from the bottom. if memory serves me right i think i used a mattress from my kids bunk bed and slid them down the steps on it. i know i used the same method when i unloaded them from my truck

I have a friend with an appliance dolly. My plan is to take them down and give a listen, if I like it they stay, if not then back up they go! Right now I have a pair of AR-11s down there hooked up to an Yamaha Cr-2020 receiver. The sound is pretty good so I am optimistic about the k-horn sounding good there too. I just don't want to have to haul them back up the stairs if it doesn't work out. I just hauled an old Konica pro copy machine out of the basement and it was no fun.

I think you will love it. I have them against an exterior wall and feel that wall helps to reflect the sound quite a bit.

I have carpet on concrete and it sounds great. Still very lively.

The extended listening opportunities from being downstairs and out of the fray is priceless!

Wrap them up in blankets, we don't want any chipped corners.

I have a friend with an appliance dolly. My plan is to take them down and give a listen, if I like it they stay, if not then back up they go! Right now I have a pair of AR-11s down there hooked up to an Yamaha Cr-2020 receiver. The sound is pretty good so I am optimistic about the k-horn sounding good there too. I just don't want to have to haul them back up the stairs if it doesn't work out. I just hauled an old Konica pro copy machine out of the basement and it was no fun.

I bought a second pair of Klipschorns for upstairs. That said they used to be in someones basement as they have a waterline on them now up about 4 inches.I moved them up the stairs on a Sunday morning, no one was around so I put a piece corigated cardboard down on the stairs and pushed them up (all 110 pounds for the 1976 bin and 105 pounds 1979 bass bin). Remember these were beaters so there were no worries of damage.The latest pair I have are disassembled completely (no woofer or hatch) right now and for grins I put the bare KD-FR Klipschorn bass bin on the scale and it read 75 pounds. If you have ever had water problems in the basement take care of those issues first. Oh by the way, you should start to look for a second pair of Khorns...

Well, I got them down in the basement yesterday and hooked up to my good amp as of tonight. Initial impressions are 15-20% less bass, but perhaps tighter bass. I am not sure imaging is as good, but everything sounds somehow cleaner and tighter. Must be the room. It is fun to be listening to them at good volume at 11:30pm. I will get the turntable hooked up tomorrow and see how that sounds. I am having fun. [;)]

Fantastic! [<:o)]

The initial listen is usually the most critical. Give it some time for you to get use to the sound in a different room. You may have to do some room treatments.

Do you use "pipe insulation" to seal them to the wall?

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Do you use "pipe insulation" to seal them to the wall?>

Yes, I have them sealed. I think the reduction of bass is due to the room not being as live. As the night went on the more I listened the more I liked it. When listening to the k-horns in their upstairs room I could feel the floors vibrate, a feeling absent on the basement concrete. The walls and ceiling are also insulated in the basement room. I think that livelier upstairs acoustic actually exaggerated the bass a bit and that was what I was used to. As I mentioned earlier the bass seems a bit more clean in the basement, perhaps in comparison it was a bit boomy upstairs? I wound up staying up past midnight listening at a pretty good volume, something I haven't been able to do except once a year when my wife takes the kids to visit relatives on their spring break. It was a hard choice to move the speakers as they looked and sounded great in their former location, but I think I am going to really enjoy this new set up!

Hard firm surfaces reinforce bass, things that move absorb bass and turn it into heat.

When I started reading my concern was that bass would be audible throughout the whole house, just the very annoying to many thump.

If the room is yours to play with, you should be able to tune it anyway you like.

Do you use "pipe insulation" to seal them to the wall?>

Yes, I have them sealed. I think the reduction of bass is due to the room not being as live. As the night went on the more I listened the more I liked it. When listening to the k-horns in their upstairs room I could feel the floors vibrate, a feeling absent on the basement concrete. The walls and ceiling are also insulated in the basement room. I think that livelier upstairs acoustic actually exaggerated the bass a bit and that was what I was used to. As I mentioned earlier the bass seems a bit more clean in the basement, perhaps in comparison it was a bit boomy upstairs? I wound up staying up past midnight listening at a pretty good volume, something I haven't been able to do except once a year when my wife takes the kids to visit relatives on their spring break. It was a hard choice to move the speakers as they looked and sounded great in their former location, but I think I am going to really enjoy this new set up!

That is so great to hear. I live alone, so I do that almost every night. The lights go out, the recliner goes back and the volume goes up. It can be a Beautiful Thing!

I think you're going to be spending more time with your gear and I'm glad to hear it. [Y]

Keep us posted,

Dennie